Menu

Looking for a Children's Bible

What options are there for Bibles for kids that are not storybook but actual translations with the complete text? I'd like one with pictures, preferable, as I will be using it for reading aloud to my kids. If there is a children's Bible without pictures that is just an amazing study Bible, that's fine as my son is wanting his own Bible. I'm not too picky on the translation.

When our DSs were kinder-2nd age, they each had their own Picture Bible (Hoth) -- full text, in storyboard illustration style.

The International Children's Bible (ICB) -- full translation, 3rd grade reading level, but no illustrations

The Illustrated Bible: Complete New Testament (Neely) -- uses the ICB translation; is the complete New Testament, in a storyboard illustration format

If you go with that New Testament only version, you could fill in for SOME of the Old Testament: also illustrated by Neely, using the ICB translation are: a pack of 8 O.T. books + 1 N.T., plus an individual book of Exodus. (Only 30 more books to go for a complete Old Testament! ;) ) And, here is the publisher website, where you can get FREE downloads of some of the selections.

Another option might be for you to read aloud from the ICB translation (or whatever is your family's preferred translation), and have Picture Bible, or illustrated children's adaptations, for pre-reading children to look at and follow along through the illustrations.

The Illustrated Bible looks like an option. It's too bad that it's not in print anymore and that they never printed the entire OT. Poking around, I found the OT available as a PDF on CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Bible-Testament-illustrated-Childrens/dp/0972455299/

I'm not a big fan of reading comic books out loud, but it looks like since it has the full text (including the parts that say who is speaking) that I wouldn't have to constantly be pointing at the characters when reading speech bubbles. And I can't find any samples of the PDF to see how readable it would be on my smaller sized tablet. Forty dollars is a lot to spend for just an OT with no way to see if it even would be feasible to use comfortably.

Anyone else? Any options that are like a normal Bible but with lots of pictures?

I'm planning on getting a NIRV for my daughter in one more year, as her first bible. It's the New International Readers Version, and it's a 3rd grade reading level. Perfect for young readers and those who are learning English. I'm just waiting til she can read better.

http://www.amazon.com/Discoverers-Bible-Early-Readers-Revised-ebook/dp/B006L76KXC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1416591264&sr=8-7&keywords=Nirv

(I chose this one because it's not all gimmicky and silly.)

This might not be applicable to you, as this one has only 30 full color picture pages, but if your kids need pictures, a translation easy to understand may be helpful too. My husband and I use ESV, but one of our favorite story bibles is NIRV, and it's what we will get all our kids.

When our DSs were kinder-2nd age, they each had their own Picture Bible (Hoth) -- full text, in storyboard illustration style.

The International Children's Bible (ICB) -- full translation, 3rd grade reading level, but no illustrations

The Illustrated Bible: Complete New Testament (Neely) -- uses the ICB translation; is the complete New Testament, in a storyboard illustration format

If you go with that New Testament only version, you could fill in for SOME of the Old Testament: also illustrated by Neely, using the ICB translation are: a pack of 8 O.T. books + 1 N.T., plus an individual book of Exodus. (Only 30 more books to go for a complete Old Testament! ;) ) And, here is the publisher website, where you can get FREE downloads of some of the selections.

Another option might be for you to read aloud from the ICB translation (or whatever is your family's preferred translation), and have Picture Bible, or illustrated children's adaptations, for pre-reading children to look at and follow along through the illustrations.

I just wanted to say thank you for suggesting these Bibles!  I just got the illustrated version, and although we haven't read it yet (may save for a Christmas gift...) it looks awesome!!

OP - I hope you find what you're looking for.  We hadn't found anything with a lot of pictures until I saw this comic book style one.  I think my kids will love it.  I have heard the NIrV is a great translation for independent reading though.  My girls (7 & 8) still read a story Bible independently, and I read to all of them from the Vos Story Bible.  Good luck finding what you need.

I have done a fair bit of searching for accurate children's bibles, and below are the best ones I have found in terms of accuracy.  I have them listed in order of increasing difficulty.  I start with the first one when my kids are less than one year old and work up from there.  They are not word-for-word translations if that is what you are looking for.  If you need a "real" translation, an adult bible (without pictures) would probably be the only option.

First Step Bible 

http://www.amazon.com/First-Step-Bible-Mack-Thomas/dp/0310701368

The Beginner's Bible

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Bible-Timeless-Childrens-Stories/dp/0310709628/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417014779&sr=1-1&keywords=the+beginners+bible

The Child's Story Bible

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Story-Bible-Catherine-Vos/dp/0802850111/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417014801&sr=1-1&keywords=the+child%27s+story+bible

After this, the NIV 1984 is the best I know of for kids.  Since the 1984 translation is out of print and the NIV 2011 is so different, many people are switching to the English Standard Version (ESV) as an alternative.  I don't have an ESV,  but I think that may be what we use for our kids if we can't find decent copies of the NIV 1984.

FWIW, I find the ESV a bit hurky to read aloud. It's a great translation, but I like the HCSB much better for reading to a group. 

We just got this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1433603322/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HCSB Illustrated Study Bible in blue "leather"

I love the HCSB translation and it's a very nice looking Bible. Plenty of text-box things, maps, etc. 

We bought this for my 8 year old because he's reading well and really wanted a non-childish Bible. He adores it. 

And in case you're interested, we also got a NiRV (young reader's 3rd grade level Bible) for our 6 year old. It's a bit of a stretch for him in terms of reading level, but I think by summer it will be perfect. He likes a challenge and loves the layout.

We picked this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310745292/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks just like his big brother's blue pleather one.