Menu

jam-free stapler for children? does one exist? Poppin, maybe?

My oh-so-creative children staple things incessantly, but I'm about ready to throw our growing pile of staplers through the window… they are constantly jammed.  Swingline, Staples, Ace Pilot…. it doesn't seem to matter (though Ace Pilot works fine for me, just not the kids). In fact, the expensive one that was plastered with stickers "guaranteeing it to never jam!" is hands-down the worst.  It jams on me about 25% of the time and it takes tweezers and minor surgery to extract the jammed staple.   :cursing:

Has anyone else had the same experience? Or found something that can withstand pre-K / primary students?  Or could it by any chance be my staples causing the problem (target generic brand)?

One I haven't tried is Poppin… any reviews on that? (I couldn't find any reviews online re: performance, especially with children). 

Thoughts? help? 

I love my spring-loaded Paper Pro. I rarely have jams (usually it's only when I'm on the last 3 staples or something). 
http://www.amazon.com/PaperPro-Desktop-Stapler-Translucent-Blue/dp/B000PTRM8E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416513095&sr=8-2&keywords=paper+pro+stapler

I've used it for 5 years in my classroom and it's still going strong. The other ones? Not so much! 

ETA: I have had 3rd and 4th graders using mine. Not littles like you mentioned. 

There's a Japanese-made stapleless stapler that's available for about $12 on Amazon that it great for kids, if you only need to staple a few sheets. It won't do more than 4-5 pages, but it's nice for the "I want to make a book, Mommy", and, so far, doesn't jam.

Thanks!  I wish I could do a staple-free stapler, but we often need to staple through more than just a few sheets.  DS 7 currently wants to be a librarian/author/illustrator/publisher when he grows up…lots of big book production going on.  :001_rolleyes:

I love my spring-loaded Paper Pro. I rarely have jams (usually it's only when I'm on the last 3 staples or something). 

http://www.amazon.com/PaperPro-Desktop-Stapler-Translucent-Blue/dp/B000PTRM8E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416513095&sr=8-2&keywords=paper+pro+stapler

I've used it for 5 years in my classroom and it's still going strong. The other ones? Not so much! 

ETA: I have had 3rd and 4th graders using mine. Not littles like you mentioned. 

Thank you!  I'd never heard of this, and the reviews out there look great.  I'm pleased that it has it's own unique patented design… already went ahead and bought one!  

Years ago I purchased two HABA staplers--they were so cute and colorful that I couldn't resist.  And to this day, what sits on my desk because it is so reliable (as in--doesn't jam AND takes normal staples AND can staple through a stack of papers)?  Yes, it's one of the HABA staplers.  The other one is used daily by both children.

I hope you like it. It does get jams every now and again, but they are easily removed unlike the jams in traditional staplers. 

Mine just arrived today (I got a couple in compact size for the kids' craft drawer).  I never thought a stapler was something you could fall head-over-heels in love with, but I think I just did at first click!  

Time will tell on the jamming as kids use them, but I'm already planning to get another desktop size for myself.  Thanks for such a great suggestion!  

ETA:  just an fyi for anyone else who is curious: the compact stapler does open flat for stapling things like bulletin boards, and the compact comes in several assorted colors (though to actually choose the colors I wanted, I had to buy from an ebay seller who offered that option). The loading mechanism differs from traditional staplers but is really easy once you figure it out.  

Years ago I purchased two HABA staplers--they were so cute and colorful that I couldn't resist.  And to this day, what sits on my desk because it is so reliable (as in--doesn't jam AND takes normal staples AND can staple through a stack of papers)?  Yes, it's one of the HABA staplers.  The other one is used daily by both children.

Thanks!  I'd already made a purchase based on a PP before I saw your post--- but plan to keep this brand in mind if the other doesn't work out.  

Mine just arrived today (I got a couple in compact size for the kids' craft drawer).  I never thought a stapler was something you could fall head-over-heels in love with, but I think I just did at first click!  

Time will tell on the jamming as kids use them, but I'm already planning to get another desktop size for myself.  Thanks for such a great suggestion!  

ETA:  just an fyi for anyone else who is curious: the compact stapler does open flat for stapling things like bulletin boards, and the compact comes in several assorted colors (though to actually choose the colors I wanted, I had to buy from an ebay seller who offered that option). The loading mechanism differs from traditional staplers but is really easy once you figure it out.  

RIGHT? I will probably never go back to traditional staplers! I can staple my student packets so quickly. I jealously guard it and never lend it out unless they are staying in my room to use it. :)