Menu

Overdoing Afterschooling

I started afterschooling in math because (1) the mess of new textbooks and curriculum with common core is so confusing. I decided to stay one step ahead of the math teacher to keep my kid from losing all ground in math and (2) a way to teach advanced thinking skills.

Now, a year+ later, the kid has accelerated his school math by two years. Now, there are issues with boredom and complaining. The teacher is getting upset because the kid is spacing out in class.

Is afterschooling a bad thing? Why can other kids be ahead, but not start to zone out at school?  Do other people have this issue?

Is there any way she can give him extra worksheets if he finishes ahead of everyone else? Or perhaps he can take a chapter book to school that he can pull out when he finishes his work? That way, he can be occupied, but not disruptive. Maybe even take a Beast Academy or Life of Fred book to pull out when he's bored.

Also, I would love to know which math program(s) you were using to get your ds two years above grade level.  :001_smile:

Oh, I thought you were going to say early elementary for some reason :tongue_smilie:. Sorry to say, for this situation, it sounds like he's stuck. Still, I would keep trying - how far up the chain of command have you gone? Tried the district G&T office yet?

First thing I'd do is double-check with someone - maybe at the high school - as to whether he could take geometry there as a middle schooler next year. In the meantime you could do something interesting, like Number Theory or Counting and Probability (those books are each about a semester, I think).

Also ask about independent study (can he test out of the 7th grade course?) - maybe that would at least get him out of sitting through the boring class. If you can't get him out of the class at all, I'd have to consider it review. If he knows the material, it shouldn't matter if he spaces out in class. Does the teacher not know this?

Eta, at this point, I would also be inquiring at the high school about placement options for when he gets there. I would contact and try to develop a relationship with one of the math teachers, looking especially for one who might be interested in talent development, such as the math club coach (the club might be called different things; Mu Alpha Theta is the name at one school near me-this is on e school's website). Sometimes, there may be ways to get a proper placement that are outside of official policy (e.g. Offer to take the alg 1 final exam when he is ready). Depending on your district, your problem might be much bigger than just the current boredom, and it is worth looking at all the angles sooner rather than later and trying to find a way around district policies.

Fwiw, on the bigger question of afterschooling, if your sixth grader is doing well with Foerster, then he is a math-talented student and you are definitely doing the right thing by afterschooling. I would keep up the efforts to develop his talent regardless of what the school offers.

I started afterschooling in math because (1) the mess of new textbooks and curriculum with common core is so confusing. I decided to stay one step ahead of the math teacher to keep my kid from losing all ground in math and (2) a way to teach advanced thinking skills.

Now, a year+ later, the kid has accelerated his school math by two years. Now, there are issues with boredom and complaining. The teacher is getting upset because the kid is spacing out in class.

Is afterschooling a bad thing? Why can other kids be ahead, but not start to zone out at school?  Do other people have this issue?

At times I have specifically decided NOT to move rapidly through the curriculum (specifically math) because it would make school placement tricky.

One way to handle the situation is to go broad rather than accelerate. In math, cover topics that aren't being covered in school, play math games, do logic problems, etc. Many schools keep kids together for elementary, then separate them into regular vs. accelerated tracks in middle school. Providing broad, rich enrichment will help your student be ready for the accelerated track without putting them too far ahead of their classmates re the regular curriculum.

In Language Arts, reading good literature is a great way to enrich. For science, a combination of non-fiction library books, weekend field trips, and hands-on projects (perhaps in the summer, with a group of interested friends), can all take classroom learning to the next level; history would be similar.

Many bright kids also spend time in extracurriculars - music, art, theater, and sports can enrich body and mind, and build a foundation of skill that will eventually come in handy on college applications.

Another option is to seek out academic peers.  As an example, a college-prep private high school may attract many bright kids from a wide area.  Because more of the student body is academically capable of handling higher-level work, and moving more rapidly through the material, students can be challenged in the regular classroom (again, often through breadth and depth rather than acceleration)  while still remaining with their age-peers.

As to your current issue - talk to your school to see if options are available.  Having a child in a math class when he has already mastered the material is unacceptable.  It means they have effectively made the decision to not teach him any new material in math this year.  Choices such as having him visit a different classroom (up a grade level or two) for his math instruction, or having him work independently through a math program during math time, with your after-school help, are both things that have worked for my kids in the past.

Part of the issue is that his spacing out is causing bad grades. He isn't following verbal directions because he isn't paying attention. For example he got a sheet of 5 problems. He got a 50% on it. He got every problem correct, but the teacher verbally told the kids to write out explanations to the problems.  So when he was handed the worksheet, he didn't write the explanations because it wasn't written on the math sheet. He wasn't paying attention to the verbal instructions. Stuff like this keeps happening. 

As to your current issue - talk to your school to see if options are available.  Having a child in a math class when he has already mastered the material is unacceptable.  It means they have effectively made the decision to not teach him any new material in math this year.  Choices such as having him visit a different classroom (up a grade level or two) for his math instruction, or having him work independently through a math program during math time, with your after-school help, are both things that have worked for my kids in the past.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking after Algebra 1 we could go sideways for a bit because he wants to continue math instruction. Meanwhile, I have to work on the current issue.

You can't really win. I tried pretty hard not to let my afterschooling push my DS past the school curriculum, and to go broad instead of forward, but the fact is that between the limitations of large-group instruction and my own child's interests and abilities, acceleration was inevitable. I do expect the school to accept this, and if they won't accelerate him in middle school, I suppose I might push for him to take the final exam from the current class, then just take a study hall and have access to materials from home?

I know how you feel. Personally, I'd rather the school problems stem from my kids being ahead than them being behind. Meet with the teacher and see if you can't work something out. Coach your son on how to ask for clarification when he does his work.

After he has read the worksheet or completed the worksheet and before turning it in ask "What else am I supposed to do?" or "Was this what you wanted us to do?"

He isn't following verbal directions because he isn't paying attention.

Life is full of boring, bureaucratic moments even for artists. So while this doesn't answer your main question, my feeling on this is that he's just going to have to learn to deal, regardless.

I don't know a single functioning adult who would go to, say, the IRS and say, "Well I couldn't fill in my taxes--you see, I'm really smart so I was thinking about other things and I just found the mail so tedious."

It is tedious and ridiculously easy to file taxes if you can pay attention to the most painful, least interesting part of your life for two hours straight.

But, that's the challenge.

I hope you find balance for your son. We have a different overschooling issue with being just all over the place--music, math, literature, history, art, language, and that's just after school. I need to cut down!

I've told my kids 1000 times - if you don't understand what is being asked, no amount of knowledge/ability will lead to the right answers.

Make sure he knows that this is the problem and he needs to concentrate on this specific problem at school.  Listening, asking questions, focusing on the task assigned.  Also, perhaps he could improve his ability to explain his work / check his work to ensure his grades reflect his ability.

At home, since he is ahead, I'd check his knowledge with each new chapter and if he's solid, then I'd have him do something completely different during afterschooling.  If he insists on doing math after school, there are puzzle / "mystery" type books that use challenge math.  There are challenge math books in Singapore that are completely different from the regular curriculum.  But if he does not insist on math, I'd do something different such as study a new instrument or a new language.

If your main reason for afterschooling is to develop critical thinking skills, I would suggest doing so in ways other than a formal math curriculum:  chess, logic puzzles, more advance word problems/math problems on the material being covered in class, board games, jigsaw puzzles, etc.

Does the teacher agree/recognize that he is two years advanced?  How exactly would this be measured with the curriculum that is being used by the school?  In my experience, teachers are often concerned that students are "advanced" in that they have been exposed to advanced topics but are concerned that there are some holes in the student's knowledge of the curriculum that is being used.  If the teacher has these concerns, being able to alleviate them would be helpful.

Is your son wanting to accelerate in math?  If so, explaining to him that he must demonstrate to the teacher that he really can go beyond the current work might help  If he understands that he must be able to demonstrate that he can do all of the work the teacher asks of him with minimum error and he takes some responsibility for this, you may find that the teacher is more likely to be helpful than to see him as a problem.  

For spacing out, he needs to be able to cue in when the teacher is giving instructions. After he gets the required stuff done fast, most teachers will let them do any work that does not disturb others. Not missing verbal cues is unfortunately a useful life skill for college and work.

The 8th graders in my local PS takes geometry. Is it possible for him to test out of algebra 1 and join the geometry class even though semester one is coming to an end.

If not afterschool math on all the topics not usually covered in school. There are plenty to pick from.

I would not eliminate your at home instruction. That is essentially punishing your son for liking math and being curious. I would be honest with him that he needs to do the busy work or openly self advocate for the ability to self study during class. Public school will never be about learning. It is impossible. It is about conforming. I taught PS, my husband still teaches it. The limitations of class size, budget, forced attendence, testing, and bureaucracy do not allow for education.

So just be honest - math class is learning to smile pretty and do the problems. If he wants to learn other things in other subjects, now is the time to begin looking. You excited your son into really applying himself. Good Job, Mom! The problem you have on your hands is now he actually wants to learn and has seen that won't happen at school. Can open, worms everywhere.

I would not eliminate your at home instruction. That is essentially punishing your son for liking math and being curious. I would be honest with him that he needs to do the busy work or openly self advocate for the ability to self study during class. Public school will never be about learning. It is impossible. It is about conforming. I taught PS, my husband still teaches it. The limitations of class size, budget, forced attendence, testing, and bureaucracy do not allow for education.

So just be honest - math class is learning to smile pretty and do the problems. If he wants to learn other things in other subjects, now is the time to begin looking. You excited your son into really applying himself. Good Job, Mom! The problem you have on your hands is now he actually wants to learn and has seen that won't happen at school. Can open, worms everywhere.

Thank you. This is incredibly helpful to me.

I tend to agree with EndOfOrdinary. Don't stop afterschooling Math! I work as a classroom aide and help out during math period almost every day. If your son's school is anything like the schools around here, he will never receive adequate instruction in the classroom, no matter the level he is at. Even though the teachers are trying to do their best, they are still forced to follow a scripted curriculum.

Your best bet is probably to coach your son about tuning in when directions are being given. Set up a parent teacher conference, explain that your son spaces out because the pace is too slow. A good teacher will also accept suggestions for extra material, but only if your son learns to follow directions first.

You might be able to ask the teacher to cue your student or check that he is paying attention, right before she gives directions. 

My son was getting that in 2nd grade, but he was perceived as trying.  If you can go and give the teacher a better impression, it can go a long way.  If you can say -- he would like to pay attention, but sometimes does not register when directions are given, the teacher might help.

I don't know how that goes in older grades, but in 2nd grade the teacher could do things like hold up her hands and then look around the room to make sure certain students were paying attention.

But I think the real issue is that he is not at an engaging level.  He needs engagement.  It is a LOT to ask to just sit through something that is not engaging, for an hour every day.  I don't know what to do about it -- but it might be a problem even if he wasn't advanced by afterschooling. I don't think it is anyone's fault.  It is just how it is -- hopefully there is a way to solve the problem, not just complain about a perception of why the problem exists. 

1) agree with

"go broad rather than accelerate more. In math, cover topics that aren't being covered in school, play math games, do logic problems,"

Instead of Algebra 1 have him do the challenging AoPS Pre-Algebra and Alcumus

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/liz/Alcumus/index.php?

This would be doing an Honors 7th Grade / PreAlgebra class in 6th. 

Hopefully he can take Algebra in real 7th.

2) Paying attention is important - he needs to learn how to "listen with one ear" 

My youngest did AoPS while going to school, and eventually, the school just let him work on it independently. He has a solid understanding of math concepts as a result. By saying this, I am not saying other programs are not good (as some will take it) but AoPS would be worth checking out.