Menu

Tentative 4 year highschool plan

So, with him deciding to come home, I'm working on the BIG PLAN. This is what I have so far. Not sure I want him to do 7 classes a year, honestly, that seems like a lot, but that is normal for public school. Also, the school does chemistry 9th, then AP chemistry 10th, then AP Bio 11th. Not sure if that is a better sequence than chem/bio/physics/ap chem

Thoughts? Suggestions? He can dual enroll starting 11th grade. Classes are free. 

9th

English: Lit/Writing/etc

Math: Algebra 2

Science: Chemistry

Social Studies: AP Human Geo

Language: Latin 1

Elective: topics in health

Elective: ?

10th:

English: Lit/writing/etc

Math: Geometry

Science: Biology

Social Studies: American History

Language: Latin 2

Elective:

Elective:

11th

English: maybe dual enrollment, maybe at home

Math: Precalc (maybe dual enrollment)

Science: Physics

Social Studies: World History

Language: Latin 3

Elective:

Elective:

12th

English: maybe dual enrollment, maybe home

Math: Calculus

Science: AP Chemistry or dual enrollment Chemistry

Social Studies: Government/Economics

Language: Latin? Spanish?

Elective?

Elective?

It looks fine. Just make sure the electives are interesting to him. That is where he can tailor his education. For my ds, there was a second Language Art credit every year as an elective (mostly creative writing). For dd, she doubles up on science every year. Having heavy Language Arts and Science loads don't look like electives on my kids transcripts, but they are what they elected to take. Just make sure you give him the chance to follow his interest.

Also, I enrolled dd at the cc for the spring semester today. Their policy is 16 and a Junior. She is 15 and a sophomore. The person who makes the decision changed recently though and they will now accept turning 16 within the semester that they enroll for their first class (and she suggested we not mention grade level to anyone). I tell you that just to say, stated policies might be more flexible than you think so be sure to check in next year and see if there is any chance of starting CC sooner if he would like to.

He's already done 10 weeks of Algebra 2, so I don't want to switch to Geometry now. But yes, I prefer the other way around, personally. 

I think the move to do Chem before bio is because bio is now focused more on biochemistry, so the background in chemistry is helpful. Which I actually do think makes sense. 

It looks fine. Just make sure the electives are interesting to him. That is where he can tailor his education. For my ds, there was a second Language Art credit every year as an elective (mostly creative writing). For dd, she doubles up on science every year. Having heavy Language Arts and Science loads don't look like electives on my kids transcripts, but they are what they elected to take. Just make sure you give him the chance to follow his interest.

Also, I enrolled dd at the cc for the spring semester today. Their policy is 16 and a Junior. She is 15 and a sophomore. The person who makes the decision changed recently though and they will now accept turning 16 within the semester that they enroll for their first class (and she suggested we not mention grade level to anyone). I tell you that just to say, stated policies might be more flexible than you think so be sure to check in next year and see if there is any chance of starting CC sooner if he would like to.

Yep, our statewide CC says 16 and a Junior but I asked if DS at 15/Soph would be okay and was told no problem.