Menu

Quickshifts and therapeutic listening (Vital Links)

kbutton

Our OT is using Quickshifts with our younger 2e DS who has very, very low processing speed (single digit percentile), probable attention issues, possible CAPD, etc. He is a bit of a conundrum at this point, but he's liking the listening in OT, and he's very engaged in his tasks while listening at OT. 

Can anybody tell me more about these songs/albums?

We are currently in the "try this and try that" stage to see what range of things works with him and what difficulties emerge (he has tiny amounts of sensory issues, deficiencies in core and hand strength). They can pinpoint a few difficulties, but he doesn't have any one go-to thing going on that they can pin his difficulties on (ditto for his WISC and WJIII results--all over the map). The OT has noticed that he cannot process physical movement and auditory input simultaneously (that's just a loose factoid that she's observed). The Quickshifts is to help him with attention and energy regulation.

You don't need special headphones for these particular CDs according to the OT, so I'm thinking about purchasing some of these for him to listen to during school to see what happens. I would like to hear from the hive first though if anyone has information to offer.

http://www.vitallinks.net/

• 2 weeks later...

kbutton, I've been having a look at their website.

Where their 2 different types of CD's?

With the CD's used for 'Therapeutic Listening'?

The music has been modified/ modulated, particularly with the high frequencies.

Their program involves listening to these CD's for 30 minutes, twice a day.  With a minimum of 3 hours between the first and second listening.

Where they strongly recommend sticking this protocol, of a 3 hour break, and no more than 30 minutes.

But their are separate CD's that parents can buy.

Which have the same songs/ music as the program CD's, but they haven't been modified/ modulated.

So that they don't have the supposed 'therapeutic part' in the CD's.

They can be listened to with any sound system, and don't require headphones.

As the headphones are only needed, to be able to clearly hear the modulated high frequencies.

As well, they can be left playing in the background, and aren't limited to the 30 minutes twice a day, with the 3 hour break.

Though I see that you can buy single CD's for $16.

So you could try buying one unmodified CD, and see if it helps your son?

kbutton, I've been having a look at their website.

Where their 2 different types of CD's?

With the CD's used for 'Therapeutic Listening'?

The music has been modified/ modulated, particularly with the high frequencies.

Their program involves listening to these CD's for 30 minutes, twice a day.  With a minimum of 3 hours between the first and second listening.

Where they strongly recommend sticking this protocol, of a 3 hour break, and no more than 30 minutes.

But their are separate CD's that parents can buy.

Which have the same songs/ music as the program CD's, but they haven't been modified/ modulated.

So that they don't have the supposed 'therapeutic part' in the CD's.

They can be listened to with any sound system, and don't require headphones.

As the headphones are only needed, to be able to clearly hear the modulated high frequencies.

As well, they can be left playing in the background, and aren't limited to the 30 minutes twice a day, with the 3 hour break.

Though I see that you can buy single CD's for $16.

So you could try buying one unmodified CD, and see if it helps your son?

Yes, this is what our OT is recommending for our younger son. He's tried three of these CDs in the clinic, and he seems to like them for regulation/stimulation. We are trying to prioritize what to put in our home stash of OT stuff. 

You wrote that he's tried 3 CD's at the clinic.

Which you said were very helpful.

But what you need to ask, is if the CD's used at the clinic, are the 'Therapeutic CD's'?

As these can only be bought by a therapist.

Where these CD's are only to be listened to for 30 minutes, and then require a 3 hour break.

But the CD's that parents can buy, are the unmodulated versions.

Which don't have time requirements, and could be played continually in the background as he does schoolwork.

Yet their is a question about whether the Unmodulated versions will also be helpful?

Where they might turn out to be helpful while doing schoolwork?

Though perhaps the OT could also buy the therapeutic CD's for you as well?

Which you use under 30 minute/ 3 hour protocol?

You wrote that he's tried 3 CD's at the clinic.

Which you said were very helpful.

But what you need to ask, is if the CD's used at the clinic, are the 'Therapeutic CD's'?

As these can only be bought by a therapist.

Where these CD's are only to be listened to for 30 minutes, and then require a 3 hour break.

But the CD's that parents can buy, are the unmodulated versions.

Which don't have time requirements, and could be played continually in the background as he does schoolwork.

Yet their is a question about whether the Unmodulated versions will also be helpful?

Where they might turn out to be helpful while doing schoolwork?

Though perhaps the OT could also buy the therapeutic CD's for you as well?

Which you use under 30 minute/ 3 hour protocol?

I can rent the therapeutic ones from the OT clinic, but i would need special headphones. I think that is why they suggested the Quick Shifts and have tried them at the clinic. They used the therapeutic ones with my older son, but he wasn't especially responsive to them, and he has other ways of modulating his behavior with regular music. My littler guy seems engaged with them, so we may give them a try. He's also working one-on-one in a quiet room without his brother, so it's hard to tease out what is the most helpful piece.