Menu

s/o Is stupid a bad word?

Excelsior! Academy

Why on Earth is "stupid" offensive? I mean, sure, you obviously don't call a person stupid - but there are a lot of things that are just... stupid. There is no adequate synonym. Wait, some things could be called idiotic. Not sue that this is better than saying "stupid".

It's not a logical connection to me (I grew up using the word just fine - not regarding people, but decisions, etc.). It is also offensive in much of New England to use the titles "Sir" and "Ma'am" - so my kids have been taught NOT to use any of the above. (I also clued them in that lots of people use those words in a non-derogatory way.)

It's not a logical connection to me (I grew up using the word just fine - not regarding people, but decisions, etc.). It is also offensive in much of New England to use the titles "Sir" and "Ma'am" - so my kids have been taught NOT to use any of the above. (I also clued them in that lots of people use those words in a non-derogatory way.)

I grew up in Boston, went to college in CT, but I've lived in the DEEP South for the past 20 years. My kids were raised on "sir/ma'am". It would be EXTREMELY rude around here for my kids not to use those terms. I use them with anyone older than me down here! It's funny when we head to New England that the kids are actually really well received when they say "Thank you, sir." I think it's seen as quaint. I haven't seen where it's been considered rude, but maybe it's delivery. I think we all appreciate people trying to be polite - if it's sincere and not the way we normally hear it. :-)

FWIW, My kids laugh that I can drop into a Boston accent, AND say "y'all" in the same sentence. LOL!!

I didn't let my boys use it when they were pre-school age or even early elem. because I wasn't sure they wouldn't use it inappropriately and not "get" why it was wrong in one context and not another (my oldest is an Aspie though and often didn't get context imbedded social norms, so YMMV).

However, I use it all the time....... :crying:

I grew up in Boston, went to college in CT, but I've lived in the DEEP South for the past 20 years. My kids were raised on "sir/ma'am". It would be EXTREMELY rude around here for my kids not to use those terms. I use them with anyone older than me down here! It's funny when we head to New England that the kids are actually really well received when they say "Thank you, sir." I think it's seen as quaint. I haven't seen where it's been considered rude, but maybe it's delivery. I think we all appreciate people trying to be polite - if it's sincere and not the way we normally hear it. :-)

FWIW, My kids laugh that I can drop into a Boston accent, AND say "y'all" in the same sentence. LOL!!

I know, right?! I had the opposite transition - grew up saying "sir" and "ma'am" all the time, taught my young children the same, and was quite surprised to get negative feedback on more than one occasion (and I was there, the kids were being very respectful & sweet). The adults in question felt that the children were calling them old. That would NEVER have occurred to me, so we just changed at home, and try to go with "yes, please" and "no, thank you."

Well, in general I teach my kids about using language in context. Some words that would be ok with freinds are not ok for use when meeting someone new or in a classroom situation. That said, I do not think stupid is a great word for polite conversation and I prefer other descriptors. I do not often hear it in passing. And I am in the midwest. I feel like it is a word that implies anger or annoyance and it just doesn't sound very intelligent because it doesn't relay much information.

The bus system in this city is stupid.
Vs
I can tell not much thought went into the design of the bus system in Capitol City. It would be nice to have more stops on the east side of town.

Stupid has a negative connotion. It is often applied to people and their actions and can beome internalized to the point that a child stops trying.

Sure, but if that's what I'm trying to convey, then "stupid"--complete with its negative connotation--might just be the perfect word choice (not in reference to a person, of course). 

Stupid is also a vague word, it is an easy out to declare something or someone stupid rather than use more precise language.

But vague does not equal offensive. Though I admit I'd much prefer knuckleheaded, ignorant, or obtuse in certain situations. 

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I don't think I use the word regularly, but I don't bristle when someone else does. Interesting to read others' viewpoints though.

I know, right?! I had the opposite transition - grew up saying "sir" and "ma'am" all the time, taught my young children the same, and was quite surprised to get negative feedback on more than one occasion (and I was there, the kids were being very respectful & sweet). The adults in question felt that the children were calling them old. That would NEVER have occurred to me, so we just changed at home, and try to go with "yes, please" and "no, thank you."

Now... when I dropped "wicked fun" at a youth group meeting at our Baptist church in the south one day you'd think I dopped an f word.... It was hysterical. I have to watch "wicked" more than anything else down here. LOL!!!

Stupid has a negative connotion. It is often applied to people and their actions and can beome internalized to the point that a child stops trying.

Stupid is also a vague word, it is an easy out to declare something or someone stupid rather than use more precise language.

I already said I would never use it for a person. But of course it has negative connotations - that's what it is used for. I can't imagine using the term for something positive.

But how is stupid vague when applied to a thing/rule/system? It sums up "made up by a brainless non-thinking moron" very concisely.

When my big kids were small, it was known as the "s-word" in their school.  I have taught them that it isn't necessarily a polite word choice and that context matters.

However, it was said all the time when I was growing up (not about people) and it took me a long time to get over it, to get used to not saying it.  Now I'm over getting over it and back to using it, usually to convey a level of frustration with the apparent lack of intelligent thought with which something was done.

By definition, a brainless nonthinking moron isn't capable of making things, as the making requires thought...the expression is just an expression of frustration, the words are meaningless unless the purpose is to put down someone. Might as well just stick your head out the window and scream if all you want to do is convey frustration, at least that doesn't stab someone's mind.

I am glad that you never feel the need to express frustration.

How that "stabs someone's mind" still escapes me.

And some things seem obviously created without intelligent rational thought.

We all find the word rather amusing here if unimaginative. It's somewhat onomatapoeic and we tend to use it that way pronouncing it as 'stoopid' with an obviously dense tone. There are so many other more interesting words one could use but sometimes this one provides welcome humor in a situation that has the potential to devolve into something with less levity.

Stupid is not banned in our family, though it is rarely, rarely used with people - and then, when it is, it's more in jest when something someone did was rather obviously stupid and we're (all) laughing about it.

In general, "That policy is stupid" is a fine statement to convey thoughts.  Quite honestly, we use "dumb" more than stupid - no clue why.

In school I don't put up with kids calling other kids stupid as it's meant offensively.  I remind them that we don't jump from the cradle into all of our knowledge.  We all learn things (academic and otherwise) along the way in life.  I definitely allow stupid when used to talk about policies as frankly, some policies are stupid.  

Overall, I don't use the word that much myself, but it certainly isn't banned.

And southern kids who move here quickly learn to drop the sir/ma'am when speaking to others.  ;)  No one gets after them about it.  They just adapt to their culture easily.

In general, "That policy is stupid" is a fine statement to convey thoughts.  Quite honestly, we use "dumb" more than stupid - no clue why.

I thought "dumb" was considered an offensive word?

I give up following the political correctness. Apparently, I won't ever be able to figure out what is "acceptable"... especially since it seems to change every few years.

To be clear for this post I will use them, but I avoid using it in person and do not allow my children or others to use them around me without being pulled up on it. It is a 'bad word' in that stupid, along with dumb, idiot, moron, retarded, and so on are ableist words derived from insulting and dehumanizing people based on intelligence. As people with learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, people across the neurodiverse spectrum face violence in our society and such violence is supported by these dehumanizing words. Taking away of rights and freedom, assaults, violence, murder have all been done with these words as a reason. 

It's never 'just words', words entire purpose is to communicate something and these words communicate the particular values even when not used against a person. I wouldn't use slurs against any other group to describe a thing or rule or system so why should I throw anyone under the bus because I find a system or rule or thing not well made. Intelligent people can make badly working systems, rules, things, and decisions (most are made and maintained by many intelligent people often to support their own selfishness which is not an intelligence related trait), it doesn't make them less intelligent, there are many other reasons why things may not work. Choosing not to use these words when frustrated with a system doesn't mean we never want to express frustration with it, it's considering what about it is actually frustrating and choosing not to associate it and further demean others.

I was raised with these words, and many other horrible ones, and I continue to work through that and many other problematic things, like all people, but the idea that being careful with words that can and do cause harm and do less harm is important to us. It has nothing to do with 'political correctness', I'm not changing my opinion or words to gain favour but actively considering my values and how words - the basis of our communication and our society and the systems therein - reflect those value and choosing to work towards language that accurately express myself and do the least harm. It's about trying to empathic and caring towards everyone in our speech, something I don't think we can go far enough in doing. It doesn't matter than the transport systems or whatever isn't a person, those words to make sense must be connected to our ideas of people to make sense and therefore still cause harm through continuing the ableist issues within society regardless of the target just as it would be if we chose any other identity based insult to use for things. 

Wait, OP are you wondering if stupid is equivalent to the R word or similar? I've never heard it or thought of it that way.

My definition of stupid (toward a person) is careless, poor decision-making from someone capable of better. We don't let the kids call each other stupid. They generally don't get riled up by peers to ever namecall in person. There was a news story about some drunk teenager who got stuck up on a water tower. Thankfully he didn't fall off and die. My 9 year old said, "Wow, that was stupid." Yes, yes it was. He could've said, "Why mother, that adolescent exhibited immature decision making skills!" But come on! We appreciate conciseness around here. Sometimes stuff is plain stupid. Or stoopid as PP said. Especially the vacuum cleaner when its cord gets tangled or the baby gate when it pinches my fingers... ;)

I thought "dumb" was considered an offensive word?

When I was growing up, dumb was considered offensive as referring to people who were unable to speak (as in "deaf and dumb").  So, we were actually taught to substitute stupid for dumb.  In my view, they both connote the same meaning within the context that I would typically use them; for me they are interchangeable.

There was a news story about some drunk teenager who got stuck up on a water tower. Thankfully he didn't fall off and die. My 9 year old said, "Wow, that was stupid." Yes, yes it was. He could've said, "Why mother, that adolescent exhibited immature decision making skills!" But come on! We appreciate conciseness around here. Sometimes stuff is plain stupid. Or stoopid as PP said. Especially the vacuum cleaner when its cord gets tangled or the baby gate when it pinches my fingers... ;)

In such situations, I often say to my kids, "sometimes smart people do stupid things" and then add on that this can be particularly true of teenagers.

I also often say, "well that was stupid" after I just made a dumb mistake.  (oops, I said dumb.)

Wait, OP are you wondering if stupid is equivalent to the R word or similar? I've never heard it or thought of it that way.

My definition of stupid (toward a person) is careless, poor decision-making from someone capable of better. We don't let the kids call each other stupid. They generally don't get riled up by peers to ever namecall in person. There was a news story about some drunk teenager who got stuck up on a water tower. Thankfully he didn't fall off and die. My 9 year old said, "Wow, that was stupid." Yes, yes it was. He could've said, "Why mother, that adolescent exhibited immature decision making skills!" But come on! We appreciate conciseness around here. Sometimes stuff is plain stupid. Or stoopid as PP said. Especially the vacuum cleaner when its cord gets tangled or the baby gate when it pinches my fingers... ;)

Your post summed up my thoughts much more clearly than I did - thanks!

Some things simply ARE stupid and calling them out as such can introduce the correct thoughts into the mind.  To me, that's what words are for.

I think the fact that there is any discussion at all about the use of "stupid" to refer to things or ideas (not people) indicates just how far over the line we've gone in terms of political correctness.

Hmmm ... I don't get this as a PC thing at all.  I just don't think it sounds very intelligent nor is it actually very descriptive.  It's not that we NEVER use the word as an expletive or casually.   Or to describe situations "Let me tell you, I did some stupid things as a young adult".  I find the above use of "stupid" describing a teen on a water tower as a fine use at home in discussion with family.  (ETA - although that would likely open a discussion about why something like that might happen - like substance abuse, mental illness, bad home life, etc)

It's that in polite discussion, I prefer to be more explicit about why I find something troublesome and I would prefer my kids to grow up to do the same.  If someone I'm chatting with says "Boy, that election sure was stupid", that feels like it shuts down the discussion, makes me feel uncomfortable, and I never know if what I say next is going to stir someone's annoyance.  I will likely find a reason to move on.  If someone says "I wish city hall wouldn't allow political signs at polling places", that is a sentence that is much more descriptive of an annoying situation and can foster a discussion, even if I don't agree. 

I don't think using it with a person is ever acceptable.

Stupid is a bad word in my house only because i have a child who uses it as a bad word thus it gets that status....I use stupid a lot to describe and don't inherently think its bad just the way it is used can make it a bad word (and i would rather stupid be the bad word my kids think of when they are mad and want to use bad words than other even worse words).

We all find the word rather amusing here if unimaginative. It's somewhat onomatapoeic and we tend to use it that way pronouncing it as 'stoopid' with an obviously dense tone. There are so many other more interesting words one could use but sometimes this one provides welcome humor in a situation that has the potential to devolve into something with less levity.

Now, I'll just throw this out there. Would you use that "obviously dense tone" if there was a person in the room with an intellectual disability? Or is it only lighthearted humor if there isn't a real live person there? I'm not trying to be over the top. I just want to illustrate why it is supposed to be funny. You are imitating a stereotype for comedic effect. I can't think of many other situations where that would be socially acceptable.

I'm not saying I've never said stupid. I'm just pointing out that this type of humor and usage of the word is at someone's expense. It's more subtle than calling something retarded, so a lot of people don't even notice it.

Not in my house. But I do redirect when the preschoolers I teach use it. IDK why, exactly. Thanks for giving me something to think about!

I redirect my young kids from saying it for the same reason I redirect when they start (loudly) pointing out that a stranger is very tall or talking at the library about how boy babies have penises.  None of it is mean or offensive, per se, but all of those things could unintentionally make people upset or uncomfortable, and a young child does not have the awareness or life experience to read a situation and tailor his language and behavior to suit.

I never tell them that using the word stupid to describe an object or situation is a bad thing (or a good thing) to do, I just consistently respond to them in different language or distract them away from that topic, so that stupid does not become a frequently used word.  As they get older, and are more able to self-censor based on venue, audience and situation, then I will redirect less often.  I will not give the word more weight than it deserves by officially telling them they can or can't use it...though, of course, I do not allow bullying or put downs using that or any word. 

Wendy

Why on Earth is "stupid" offensive? I mean, sure, you obviously don't call a person stupid - but there are a lot of things that are just... stupid. There is no adequate synonym. Wait, some things could be called idiotic. Not sue that this is better than saying "stupid".

This. My mother never allowed my brother and me to call people stupid, but the word itself was okay to use. I used that same general idea with ds.

You're/he's/she's so stupid! - not acceptable.

This is stupid. I can't get this stupid thing to work. - acceptable

Obviously, we don't use it to refer to people.  (Or we try not to.  I've certainly used it to refer to a few politicians.)  But the idea that in some cases, people don't let their kids say things are "stupid" because the word doesn't allow their children to showcase their glorious vocabularies and all the work mom put into them makes me giggle.  Yes, it might be more accurate and impressive to say, "I found that movie's pedestrian plot to be absolutely filled with inconsistencies and riddled with substandard acting, as well as having no realistic presentation of how one would imagine a futuristic dystopian society and the inhabitants thereof," but come on.  I've got things to do.  Let's just agree that it was a stupid movie (or whatever) so I can get on with my day.  I certainly can't imagine being in actual, physical pain because someone called something stupid instead of using bigger words.

I'm from the Midwest, if that makes a difference.

Obviously, we don't use it to refer to people.  (Or we try not to.  I've certainly used it to refer to a few politicians.)  But the idea that in some cases, people don't let their kids say things are "stupid" because the word doesn't allow their children to showcase their glorious vocabularies and all the work mom put into them makes me giggle.  Yes, it might be more accurate and impressive to say, "I found that movie's pedestrian plot to be absolutely filled with inconsistencies and riddled with substandard acting, as well as having no realistic presentation of how one would imagine a futuristic dystopian society and the inhabitants thereof," but come on.  I've got things to do.  Let's just agree that it was a stupid movie (or whatever) so I can get on with my day.  I certainly can't imagine being in actual, physical pain because someone called something stupid instead of using bigger words.

I'm from the Midwest, if that makes a difference.

LOL - if that's in reference to me, that's not what I think at all.  I just think knowing context is good.  If your friend comes out of a movie with you and says "Wow - I loved that movie!".  I don't think that's necessarily a great time to say "What?  That was a stupid movie."  I can see how that particular usage could make a friend feel bad about their opinion.  I think a better thing to say in that situation might be "really?  It wasn't my favorite.  What did you like about it?".  Note - no BIG words used, but also not just shutting down a discussion or possibly placing judgment on a friend's opinion.  And it also depends on your relationship with someone - there are some relationships that would be totally fine with that usage and I get that.  I'm not saying it's a word we don't use.  Just yesterday I said "my stupid keys don't like to work in the cold".  I just think context is important and I like saying it's a "grey" word.  MANY words are grey here.  I don't mind swearing in some situations and in others, my kids would be in huge trouble if they swore. 

Also in the midwest. 

Catch all adjectives drive me batty. I've recently had to ban "mean" because my youngest has begun to use it to describe any behavior she doesn't care for. Is someone making an annoying sound? They're mean. Someone doesn't want to give up what they're playing with? Mean. Someone mildly disagrees with a plot line in her imaginary game? The dog eats the cheese she left on a stool? Somebody teases her because her hair looks like a dandelion puff? They're so mean!

Stupid, mean, and even the word "nice" can substitute for a whole range of vocabulary and prevent a child from digging down and getting at their real inner reactions and feelings about a situation.

That said, I don't actually ban words (except for the word mean lately!) but I'm careful never to allow the word stupid in reference to any human being, including myself. As someone mentioned above, it's too easy for a kid to internalize the message that mistakes are a result of some inner defect. So saying, "This stupid pencil keeps breaking...I'm never buying this brand again," Is fine, but, "Boy was that a stupid decision...I don't know what I was thinking" isn't.

ETA: forgot to answer the op. The word isn't generally offensive, but it can be used in an offensive way.

Now, I'll just throw this out there. Would you use that "obviously dense tone" if there was a person in the room with an intellectual disability? Or is it only lighthearted humor if there isn't a real live person there? I'm not trying to be over the top. I just want to illustrate why it is supposed to be funny. You are imitating a stereotype for comedic effect. I can't think of many other situations where that would be socially acceptable.

I'm not saying I've never said stupid. I'm just pointing out that this type of humor and usage of the word is at someone's expense. It's more subtle than calling something retarded, so a lot of people don't even notice it.

You have a point. When I reflect on our use of the word what I'm aware of is that we use the word to describe actions not people, generally our own mishaps and misses. I'm not all that keen on the word. I find it boring and uncreative given the breadth and depth of the English language. And that's why I think it gets used the way it does in our home, with irony rather than any kind of seriousness. Still, your point is taken.

No, it's not a bad word in itself. As is the case in the other thread, the context in which it is used matters. I don't mind at all if the kids say a show or another thing is stupid, and I hear that usage so frequently at work and elsewhere that I don't even think of it as a harsh word. We don't allow personal attacks, though, so calling a person stupid is not acceptable.  

You have a point. When I reflect on our use of the word what I'm aware of is that we use the word to describe actions not people, generally our own mishaps and misses. I'm not all that keen on the word. I find it boring and uncreative given the breadth and depth of the English language. And that's why I think it gets used the way it does in our home, with irony rather than any kind of seriousness. Still, your point is taken.

Thank you for taking my post in the spirit it was intended and responding graciously!

Stupid, mean, and even the word "nice" can substitute for a whole range of vocabulary and prevent a child from digging down and getting at their real inner reactions and feelings about a situation.

Thank you for saying this. I'm seeing a tendency to denigrate one word negative summaries of performances, actions, etc., yet I suspect that many of the same people would just be hunky-dory with short/one word praises such as "Hallelujah" or  "Love it!" or "Good job" or whatnot.

(For the record, our family has a tendency to hyper-analyze many things, particularly movies and other performing arts, so a one word praise or pan would NEVER shut down the discussion around here -- so the comments about shutting down discussions about movies or even elections really boggle my mind since we would immediately reply, "How so?  What makes you call it stupid?")

Also, in a separate offshoot, we know a 12 year old who is HORRIFIED when hearing someone use the word "crud" since "it's a bad word".  On the other hand, he seems to be fine with "crap", he doesn't even notice if someone is shouting "godd@mn!", and so forth.  Interesting situation, and I find myself pondering how he came to these conclusions about what is inappropriate language.  I'll also admit that I'm eyeing a bottle of Krud Kutter cleaner, and considering using it to help clean up the paint (we're around him in a painting situation -- backstage and tech crew).

In some parts of the country (New England) it seems to be much more offensive than in other parts (Midwest). I could be off on that, but - it is definitely offensive in the Northeast.

It's not offensive in this part of New England.

Stupid is like clumsy or awkward. Bad if used in reference to another person as a catagorical statement but perfectly acceptable to describe a thing, situation, single action, etc.

LOL - if that's in reference to me, that's not what I think at all.  I just think knowing context is good.  If your friend comes out of a movie with you and says "Wow - I loved that movie!".  I don't think that's necessarily a great time to say "What?  That was a stupid movie."  I can see how that particular usage could make a friend feel bad about their opinion.  I think a better thing to say in that situation might be "really?  It wasn't my favorite.  What did you like about it?".  Note - no BIG words used, but also not just shutting down a discussion or possibly placing judgment on a friend's opinion.  And it also depends on your relationship with someone - there are some relationships that would be totally fine with that usage and I get that.  I'm not saying it's a word we don't use.  Just yesterday I said "my stupid keys don't like to work in the cold".  I just think context is important and I like saying it's a "grey" word.  MANY words are grey here.  I don't mind swearing in some situations and in others, my kids would be in huge trouble if they swore. 

Also in the midwest. 

I was actually thinking about someone else's post when I wrote that. ;)  As a writer, I value concision more than verbosity for verbosity's sake.  But of course it makes sense to expand more on your thinking when you want to have a deeper conversation about something.  I just don't get the people who would never, ever let their kid use a word like "stupid" because it's not accurate enough or whatever.    

I know you're replying to someone else, but I wanted to clarify. We say stoopid in an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent. I'm not sure how it started. We aren't insulting Austrians (I don't think), and it's usually directed at ourselves or a pet. :) I would not condone mocking someone with an intellectual disability. I've not heard stupid used as a replacement for the R-word.

We use all kinds of vague terms. I have no problem with "that's pretty" so why with "that's stupid"?

I agree that you shouldn't accuse others of being stupid. Actions are stupid. People are not stupid. People might have a hard time making good choices, but I don't like labeling people.

But I think a lot of things are stupid. For example, the Maginot Line was stupid. Idiotic. Moronic. Calling it "a poor choice" really does not adequately describe how bad it was. Strategically inadequate? Also an understatement. I think in that case, "stupid" is probably the best possible word to use.

Also--pointing out that someone with a very low IQ is making a choice that others find stupid is really rude. It's like telling someone without legs they are not keeping up with the group. "Why are you so slow?" is not helpful.

(For the record, our family has a tendency to hyper-analyze many things, particularly movies and other performing arts, so a one word praise or pan would NEVER shut down the discussion around here -- so the comments about shutting down discussions about movies or even elections really boggle my mind since we would immediately reply, "How so?  What makes you call it stupid?")

Ditto here.  Discussion never ends just because someone shares their opinion in any particular way.  It's the same at school for me.

Dh instructs ds to call me "ma'am" and I used to protest about it because I associate it with a much older woman and it made me feel old. It's so common here that it isn't a big deal, but I think it's quite formal and I'm not very formal.  The only reason I go along with it sometimes is because people around here expect to hear it and it's good practice for him and also because sometimes it does seem to help in addressing his attitude of respect.

I could never go along with this.  My hubby is a southern guy, so we had plenty of discussions over whether sir/ma'am should be used.  Fortunately, we settled in FL (imported northerners) and then the north, so he gave in due to the culture we live in.  We raised our boys using those terms for his parents, but that's it.  They easily picked up on when it was appropriate and when it wasn't (plus we explained the difference to them).

Had we settled in the south, there's still no way I could have had MY kids calling me ma'am.  I can tolerate it from others since I know it's how they were raised, but it would still seem just so wrong for me within family.  I would even shudder if they used sir for hubby.  I was military for a few years and it didn't bug me there, but still, not within family.

Now... when I dropped "wicked fun" at a youth group meeting at our Baptist church in the south one day you'd think I dopped an f word.... It was hysterical. I have to watch "wicked" more than anything else down here. LOL!!!

See, now I'm going to have to watch myself :).

I grew up saying the word "shoot" as in, "Oh, shoot, I forgot my grocery list." It was only recently that a teenaged friend of dd took great offense at the word and explained that it was just a substitute for the other "sh" word. It had never occurred to me.

I use the word stupid myself in some situations, though I can't think of one off hand. I haven't taught my kids *not* to say it, though I suppose I do try to make sure they are not speaking in unkind ways.