Menu

Is there a GF replacement flour I can make so my dd can make her own recipes ?

Ok, so we have gF cookbook and we have all the GF ingredients (xanthan gum, etc( but for whatever reason my dd is more inspired by her own cookbooks which are all regular flour.

So, if I take a certain amount of rice flour, whole grain rice flour, xanthan gum, and some other flours, is it possible to make a replacement flour which would work OK as a replacement in any recipe that calls for wheat flour?

My dd is really wanting to be in the kitchen by herself and I am struggling to maket hat happen. Buying her some of the intermediate Kids and Teens cooksbooks which are a little safer, would really help because then I won't be so nervous.  She is 10, just about to turn 11.

FWIW, from my limited experience, I would agree with your dd that I would rather sub ingredients in a regular recipe than use most of the ones I have found in a GF cookbook.

I like King Arthur GF flour but that can get expensive. I am not on my computer to find the link, but I liked the Gf flour recipe from a website with the word Artisan in it. The authors also have a cookbook, but I was more impressed with the flour. I will try to add the link later when I can get ds off of Roblox....

If possible, I would encourage her to experiment and accept that tweaking may be involved. The just-right amount of xanthan gum seems to vary depending on the type of food (I can taste it if it is too much, plus the texture can get a little too chewy)

(The other day, I made pumpkin mini muffins with Maseca - the corn flour used to make tortillas - and they were awesome, albeit a little on the crumbly side.

OK, so I loved the video! I just ordered several flours which should combine well.

BUT, she advocates for not including the xanthan gum, since she's using gluten free recipes anyway.  

I am hoping to add the xanthan gum to the flour mix so my dd can just scoop and use it. I know that this will probably cause some problems with the perfections of the baked goods, but my goal here is just to end the paralysis we have had here in home baking since becoming GF, and to let my dd do it herself, since I am too nervois and controlling to enjoy cooking with any other human being.  

So...any thoughts on how much xanthan gum to add per cup of all purpose flour mix?

PS you guys are the best.  Thank you for your time!

I vaguely recall 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per cup of flour. I find that I prefer closer to 1/4 tsp.

Here is the link I mentioned above http://nogluten-noproblem.com/2010/04/artisan-gluten-free-flour-blend.html

And if you all can eat corn, I definitely recommend playing a bit with Maseca or trying mixtures with Maseca. (Very inexpensive and slightly sweet)

Before my gluten allergy was dx, I freshly ground my own flour  because the nutritional content is far, far superior than flour bought in packages on the store shelves. So, it has taken me a long time to figure out how to cook GF using whole grains.  GFG has a post about how she switched to using primarily whole grain GF flours:http://glutenfreegirl.com/2013/02/how-to-make-a-gluten-free-whole-grain-flour-mix/

You don't have to grind the flour yourself though! It can be bought, as well. :)

I use cup4cup but it's quite expensive. I only use one bag/year though since I only use it for Thanksgiving and the kids' birthday cakes. It works like a charm and the only time I've seen it not work perfectly in a recipe is when the recipe has a lot of butter. For example if a brownie recipe calls for 12 TBSP (!) it's better to go with 8-9. There's a limit to how much fat this flour can absorb. Other than that it's a gift from the gods. It even smells like raw flour in the bag.

Here's a cup4cup knockoff I haven't tried but someone I know swears it works great. The author is really good at gf baking; she even managed puff pastry!

Costco sells 5 lb bags of Namaste Perfect Flour Blend, the organic variety, for $11.99.  It includes xanthan gum and subs cup for cup in wheat flour recipes.  My mom has been going to town making muffins, cookies, etc. for my kids.  She just uses the Namaste flour instead of wheat flour, with no other adaptations.  I've made the brownie & pancake recipes on the flour bag and they turned out great.

We have not tried making pie crusts or yeast bread with it.

Before my gluten allergy was dx, I freshly ground my own flour because the nutritional content is far, far superior than flour bought in packages on the store shelves. So, it has taken me a long time to figure out how to cook GF using whole grains. GFG has a post about how she switched to using primarily whole grain GF flours:http://glutenfreegirl.com/2013/02/how-to-make-a-gluten-free-whole-grain-flour-mix/

You don't have to grind the flour yourself though! It can be bought, as well. :)

Oh my goodness. Thank-you so much for this link!

Costco sells 5 lb bags of Namaste Perfect Flour Blend, the organic variety, for $11.99.  It includes xanthan gum and subs cup for cup in wheat flour recipes.  My mom has been going to town making muffins, cookies, etc. for my kids.  She just uses the Namaste flour instead of wheat flour, with no other adaptations.  I've made the brownie & pancake recipes on the flour bag and they turned out great.

Can you comment on the taste of the Namaste?  I do a lot of baking and I have some finicky eaters who are not GF (*cough* dh *cough*) who can detect a GF chocolate chip cookie a mile away (maybe one too many unfortunate experiments on my part).  But a new kiddo is going GF soon and I'm trying to gear up  :tongue_smilie: (oddly, he doesn't appear to have a problem with wheat or gluten, just wheat bran, but all wheat flour apparently is somewhat contaminated with bran).  The last time I bought GF flour at Costco, it was Bob's Red Mill, which to me does not have a good taste.

(As an aside, if anyone has a good GF and yeast-free bread recipe or brand recommendation, I'm all ears...  I think there's no such thing.  I've gotten as far as Irish Soda bread, but what I'd eat and what ds would eat are two different things, unfortunately.  School lunch is the roadblock for my little foodie-with-issues.)

Can you comment on the taste of the Namaste? I do a lot of baking and I have some finicky eaters who are not GF (*cough* dh *cough*) who can detect a GF chocolate chip cookie a mile away (maybe one too many unfortunate experiments on my part). But a new kiddo is going GF soon and I'm trying to gear up :tongue_smilie: (oddly, he doesn't appear to have a problem with wheat or gluten, just wheat bran, but all wheat flour apparently is somewhat contaminated with bran). The last time I bought GF flour at Costco, it was Bob's Red Mill, which to me does not have a good taste.

.)

I don't use the Namaste flour ( DS cannot gave xantham gum) but all my kids love their pancake mix.

Can you comment on the taste of the Namaste?  I do a lot of baking and I have some finicky eaters who are not GF (*cough* dh *cough*) who can detect a GF chocolate chip cookie a mile away (maybe one too many unfortunate experiments on my part).  But a new kiddo is going GF soon and I'm trying to gear up  :tongue_smilie: (oddly, he doesn't appear to have a problem with wheat or gluten, just wheat bran, but all wheat flour apparently is somewhat contaminated with bran).  The last time I bought GF flour at Costco, it was Bob's Red Mill, which to me does not have a good taste.

(As an aside, if anyone has a good GF and yeast-free bread recipe or brand recommendation, I'm all ears...  I think there's no such thing.  I've gotten as far as Irish Soda bread, but what I'd eat and what ds would eat are two different things, unfortunately.  School lunch is the roadblock for my little foodie-with-issues.)

Not bread, but Gluten Free on a Shoestring soft tapioca wraps are awesome for lunches when we pack for a day out. (Honestly, I haven't tried a single recipe of Nicole's that wasn't completely delicious.)

Our family hasn't noticed any taste difference between Namaste and white wheat flour in any of the recipes my mom and I have made with it.

Bob's, OTOH, tastes NASTY to me.  It contains garbanzo flour.  I made a Bob's chocolate cake mix last year and the garbanzo flavor really stood out. Yuck!  I couldn't eat it.  Namaste is garbanzo-free.

Bob's, OTOH, tastes NASTY to me.  It contains garbanzo flour.  I made a Bob's chocolate cake mix last year and the garbanzo flavor really stood out. Yuck!  I couldn't eat it.  Namaste is garbanzo-free.

Oh, yes! That's why I stopped using Bob's mixes. They all had Garbonzo flour. Yuck. It not only Tastes bad, but it makes for a smelly, musical time if your kids eat too much of it. Bleck.

:iagree: Bob's tastes like beans. The type Costco sells tastes good to me.

My friend uses this recipe from Land O Lakes for her GF flour:

Gluten-Free Flour Blend: Combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.

This recipe was developed using alternative flours and products labeled as “gluten-free.†The best source for additional information is the ingredient listing on product packaging. Learn about gluten-free baking.

Nutrition Facts (1 serving)

Calories: 330

Fat: 13g

Cholesterol: 85mg

Sodium: 170mg

Carbohydrates: 51g

Dietary Fiber: 1g

Protein: 3g

Recipe #13299B©2006Land O'Lakes, Inc.

Land O Lakes has some yummy GF recipes on their website. http://www.landolakes.com/Search.aspx?query=gluten%20free%20recipes