Menu

I can't believe I'm buying a 3rd reading program!!

I just always have guilt when I buy something that I don't absolutely NEED.  Someone tell me it's okay that I bought yet another phonics/reading program because...

• I used OPG with my two oldest, and while it WORKED, we all were just really bored.  The scripting really bothered me, and they always GROANED when I pulled it out.  We never finished.
  •  
  • I started DS with letter recognition and then moved to Reading Lessons through Literature - a Spalding spin-off.  I LOVE it a lot, but it's just too much for him.  The writing, the marking, all the sounds for one phonogram at once.  He really wants to read, but it's just been too much for him.  (My daughters are doing brilliantly with it as a spelling program though.)
  •  
  • So I tried to pull back out the Ordinary Parent's Guide...  And he would rather not learn to read if he has to look at all those words....   :(  Yes, I've tried to cover up the part he doesn't have to read.  And, full disclosure, *I* just don't really want to do it....  :huh:  I'm not motivated to do it AGAIN.

I'd always wanted to try something other that OPG with DDs, but we'd just dropped phonics (and moved to spelling) before I did.  Since I have 3 other kids to teach to read...I bought Phonics Pathways.

I just really want to know that I'm not alone and that it's okay to have so many reading programs on my shelf.....  I've become a collector.

ETA: Okay, now it's been almost 3 months later....  And wouldn't  ya know, I'm glad I held onto trusty OPGTTR.   :blushing: I'm ashamed that I said we were bored...we just needed to approach things differently.  I need to adopt this idea with most all of our curriculum - it sure would save me some $$$!! - since I often return to what worked initially, I just change our approach, or even just set it down for a bit to refresh.  PP was nice to try some games, and give DS confidence, but I found that I missed some of the teacher helps in OPG (and I don't HAVE to read the script word-for-word, or at all) and the little stories within.  DS didn't like just reading word after word practicing the new blend/digraph (in PP).  He likes to read something with meaning.  The little practice sentences/stories at the end of the lessons in OPG were just the ticket.

So now we *I* have relaxed a bit, and we do a 10min of phonics practice a day, sometimes playing a game.  He loves to use our magnetic letters to practice his words - just like his big sisters did :001_wub:  - and we're having fun.  Oh, and he's doing well, and loves to read in his free time.  All good stuff. :thumbup1:

Sell your OPGTR and you'll be back to a modest number of reading curriculum.

I, on the other hand, am unabashed and unashamed about my curriculum collection.

I've bought myself a copy of Jacobs Elementary Algebra and I am very happy that I did. I aspire to have a homeschool curriculum collection.

Just 3?

:D :D

Right now, on my "in use" shelf, I have:

High Noon Reading Intervention

Dancing Bears

Recipe for Reading

Those are just the ones we are actually, currently using. And I'm quite seriously considering purchasing a subscription to Lexia online. But really, now -- can you have too many phonics programs? ;)

Doesn't Ruth Beechick say the third program you try is the one that will work? You can almost go ahead and check off "teach dc to read" once you put that third program in your Amazon cart!

Oh, I'm so glad it was Ruth Beechik! I thought it was Mary Pride.

Anyway, she was right on the money for my kids. What worked for the older of my two closely spaced siblings bombed on the younger. Don't feel guilty.

Phonics curricula make me happy. They just do. The more the better if we are talking about hobbies. I'm careful not to inflict my favorites on students, though. I like to read through O-G curricula, but I hardly even use them with students, anymore.

The dyslexia dx is overused. Many "dyslexics" do better with resources designed for "normal" students, and just need some one-on-one time and a slower pace. If we just stopped trying to teach reading to 5 year old boys and started children(especially boys) at 7 like many European countries, suddenly we would have so much more success with teaching children to read.

And I think children need to run more before trying to learn to read. I think we are going backwards, instead of forwards, in learning how children's brains work. They need to move both sides of their bodies in rhythm, and they need to do that a LOT.

When a child is ready to read, most of them just read. It's as fascinating to them as a video game, and if allowed, they can't get enough of practicing. We are just forcing the video game on them too early, in WAY too many cases.

I have about 25, you have a paltry number.😀

I had 20 before I had children. (I have been a volunteer literacy tutor for 20 years.) I tell people half jokingly that I should have practiced on other people's children for math, too. I did not start collecting math programs until I started homeschooling. I was a bit more restrained with those since I had the Internet and advice here, I have 4 or 5.

Phonics Pathways is one of my favorites. Webster's Speller is my favorite, and my favorite phonics readers are the old Open Court readers, my son is really enjoying the stories. I even had my daughter read one the other day, it was a well told version of The Emperor's New Clothes and she had not read it before. She thought it was funny. She actually got the humor of it more than my son did, but he overall really enjoys the stories and gets the morals and the humor.

Being a homeschool mom is a career choice. Like any career, workers collect job related literature and tools, that they might not actually use right NOW on the job.

Homeschool mom is one of the least understood and least respected career choices in the world. It is very rare in other careers for there to be so much emphasis on the consumer and so little emphasis on the worker. It's way out of whack. it's not healthy. It's not even logical or efficient.

If you cannot afford a book, or don't have room to store it, you shouldn't buy it. But if you WANT it more than a new pair of shoes, or a new pot, and have a few dollars to spare, then buy it!

My poor 4th child! I have collected so many learn-to-read programs over the years, and I like little bits of each of them (and I get tired of using the same things over and over), so she is getting a very hodge-podge education so far! We've used Leap Frog videos, Phonics Pathways, ETC, Tanglewood Education's Really Reading, LOE phonogram app, RLTL, Bob Books, Reading Eggs, plus many games (sight word bingo, etc). But guess what? She's a natural like her older sisters! She read me several books before bed last night. Apparently the slap-dash-kitchen-sink method is working. I always let her choose what she'd like to use for her lesson time, which gives her a great sense of control.

Lucky her, my math collection is smaller. I ONLY have Right Start A, Singapore Essentials K, C-Rods/Miquon, and Math Mammoth. Oops...I guess we have a lot of math options in the early years, too.

Some women have too many shoes; I overindulge on curriculum.

I own and have used (parts or all of): WRTR editions 4 and 5; AAS levels 1, 2, and 3; LOE levels A, B, and C; and RLTL levels 1, 2, and 3. So not only do I have an excess, but they're all variants of the same program! And there are parts I like from all of them which makes me wish I could feasibly use all of them with every kid.

I have about 25, you have a paltry number.😀

I had 20 before I had children. (I have been a volunteer literacy tutor for 20 years.) I tell people half jokingly that I should have practiced on other people's children for math, too. I did not start collecting math programs until I started homeschooling. I was a bit more restrained with those since I had the Internet and advice here, I have 4 or 5.

Phonics Pathways is one of my favorites. Webster's Speller is my favorite, and my favorite phonics readers are the old Open Court readers, my son is really enjoying the stories. I even had my daughter read one the other day, it was a well told version of The Emperor's New Clothes and she had not read it before. She thought it was funny. She actually got the humor of it more than my son did, but he overall really enjoys the stories and gets the morals and the humor.

Is there a list of these somewhere?  I would like to buy them (I think I've read they can be hard to find) but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Is there a list of these somewhere? I would like to buy them (I think I've read they can be hard to find) but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

My post 9 in this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/528830-the-phonetic-reader-vintage-anything-modern-thats-like-it/?hl=%2Bopen+%2Bcourt+%2Bsea+%2Bsky&do=findComment&comment=5935303

They teach long vowels first, the first few workbooks are hard to find, but for people that need those I recommend the School Phonics workbooks, they are a modern phonics method that teaches long vowels first. It looks like your children are beyond the phonics basics, though.

The first two readers are also probably too easy, they are slim paperback books at a K and low 1st grade level.

Yeah, I have LOE Foundations B and C, Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways, Miss Rhonda's Readers, McGuffey's Eclectic Primer, another set of little CVC readers... I'd bought 100 Easy Lessons first, but neither of us liked that one... I looked at OPGtR but opted not to buy it. I will be buying LOE Essentials for next fall.

And I only have one kid.

I just always have guilt when I buy something that I don't absolutely NEED. Someone tell me it's okay that I bought yet another phonics/reading program because...

• I used OPG with my two oldest, and while it WORKED, we all were just really bored. The scripting really bothered me, and they always GROANED when I pulled it out. We never finished.
  • I started DS with letter recognition and then moved to Reading Lessons through Literature - a Spalding spin-off. I LOVE it a lot, but it's just too much for him. The writing, the marking, all the sounds for one phonogram at once. He really wants to read, but it's just been too much for him. (My daughters are doing brilliantly with it as a spelling program though.)
  • So I tried to pull back out the Ordinary Parent's Guide... And he would rather not learn to read if he has to look at all those words.... :( Yes, I've tried to cover up the part he doesn't have to read. And, full disclosure, *I* just don't really want to do it.... :huh: I'm not motivated to do it AGAIN.

I'd always wanted to try something other that OPG with DDs, but we'd just dropped phonics (and moved to spelling) before I did. Since I have 3 other kids to teach to read...I bought Phonics Pathways.

I just really want to know that I'm not alone and that it's okay to have so many reading programs on my shelf..... I've become a collector.

Have you tried any of the suggestion in the "non-writer" section. Since you love it that may be a good route to at least try.

Have you tried any of the suggestion in the "non-writer" section. Since you love it that may be a good route to at least try.

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

I have read that, and we've tried it (more than just a few times).  It's more that he is still glazing over at the fact that "a" can have more than one sound.  I just don't think he's ready for all the sounds.  I'd prefer give him some confidence reading a book.  (He is DELIGHTED to carry around a Bob Book and read it to whomever will listen.)  I taught my older girls to read using traditional phonics, and that is how I was taught.  I guess I'm just more *comfortable* with that route...  But I didn't want to slog through and constantly tweak OPG.  I wanted RLTL to work for him (and I'm sure it's helped in some way) since it's what I'm currently using for spelling for my DDs.  So it wasn't actually purchased as a reading curriculum.  O-G makes so much sense to me....in theory...but in reality it may not be best for DS.  (Or me, or whatever.)  Sorry, that was a long explanation.  I'm feeling chatty!

Phonics curricula make me happy. They just do. The more the better if we are talking about hobbies. I'm careful not to inflict my favorites on students, though. I like to read through O-G curricula, but I hardly even use them with students, anymore.

The dyslexia dx is overused. Many "dyslexics" do better with resources designed for "normal" students, and just need some one-on-one time and a slower pace. If we just stopped trying to teach reading to 5 year old boys and started children(especially boys) at 7 like many European countries, suddenly we would have so much more success with teaching children to read.

And I think children need to run more before trying to learn to read. I think we are going backwards, instead of forwards, in learning how children's brains work. They need to move both sides of their bodies in rhythm, and they need to do that a LOT.

When a child is ready to read, most of them just read. It's as fascinating to them as a video game, and if allowed, they can't get enough of practicing. We are just forcing the video game on them too early, in WAY too many cases.

I know you're not talking to me personally...but of course I want to do what best for my DS.  I agree with you that there are so many things that would probably be better to wait on.  I have learned that with my own children.  And thank God they've been gracious to me as I've made mistakes!  But with reading...isn't it better to try early if the DC shows signs of readiness?  I would love it if he could read the directions in his math WB, for example, when I'm trying to teach my next DC to read.  If he - or I! - were frustrated, or really wasn't interested, I would wait.

And, I completely agree with your thoughts on movement and the excitement of reading.  Good stuff.

I knew I'd find some encouragement (enabling?) on this forum.  Thank you. :D

Thing is, I'm really a DIY-er & minimalist at heart.  It would make me proud to see a nice clean shelf with just a few teacher resources on it.  But then there's the reality of schooling all these small ones...  

Soooo, I am going to move my collections to the closet with shelves so I can pull out stuff as needed and not feel guilty or clutter up my mind/space.  DH agreed that I am not an over-spender.  And, like a few of you, I would MUCH rather buy more curriculum/books than new clothes/shoes/purses. ;)

Ps. I forgot!  Before teaching my oldest to read I bought How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ lessons, as recommended by a friend.  I only opened it once and it now lies completely unused in a box in the basement - it just wasn't for me.  So I guess I've bought 4.  Oh, and I also have WRTR 4th Edition - but I didn't count it because it only cost me $4.  I should count it - I learned a lot in that small book.  Well, I guess I'm really not a minimalist.  Just a wannabe.  :laugh:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/528830-the-phonetic-reader-vintage-anything-modern-thats-like-it/?hl=%2Bopen+%2Bcourt+%2Bsea+%2Bsky&do=findComment&comment=5935303

They teach long vowels first, the first few workbooks are hard to find, but for people that need those I recommend the School Phonics workbooks, they are a modern phonics method that teaches long vowels first. It looks like your children are beyond the phonics basics, though.

The first two readers are also probably too easy, they are slim paperback books at a K and low 1st grade level.

Thanks.  Yes, I was just thinking the readers.  Both kids like fairy tales and fables and I think DS would enjoy reading some of these himself.

I found A Shiny Golden Path for $4 on Prime so I will start with that.

Thanks again.

I know you're not talking to me personally...but of course I want to do what best for my DS.  I agree with you that there are so many things that would probably be better to wait on.  I have learned that with my own children.  And thank God they've been gracious to me as I've made mistakes!  But with reading...isn't it better to try early if the DC shows signs of readiness?  I would love it if he could read the directions in his math WB, for example, when I'm trying to teach my next DC to read.  If he - or I! - were frustrated, or really wasn't interested, I would wait.

And, I completely agree with your thoughts on movement and the excitement of reading.  Good stuff.

It's not wrong for moms to teach reading young, because they can pull back. But when schools do it, and require results, and label and isolate children who can't read yet, we as a nation suffer the consequences.

I meant more to take the pressure off, with my comments, but I see they could be taken a whole other way. I'm much better at talking TOPICS than TO people. I can be just a bit at the edge of the autism spectrum. Sorry! :grouphug:

It's not wrong to try and teach reading at 5! It takes longer, but some kids can do it, especially by the time mom tries the 3rd book. :lol:

I taught myself to read when I was 4. I literally risked being hit, asking people what a word was, I was so desperate to read. I memorized the book "Go Dogs Go", and then decoded the words, and taught myself some basic phonics that way. My oldest didn't learn to really read until he was 8, though, and there was nothing wrong with him. He was just a poster child for Waldorf, in EVERYTHING they claim. I understand the range of ages to learn to read. There is no magic age for ALL children.

I knew I'd find some encouragement (enabling?) on this forum.  Thank you. :D

Thing is, I'm really a DIY-er & minimalist at heart.  It would make me proud to see a nice clean shelf with just a few teacher resources on it.  But then there's the reality of schooling all these small ones...  

Soooo, I am going to move my collections to the closet with shelves so I can pull out stuff as needed and not feel guilty or clutter up my mind/space.  DH agreed that I am not an over-spender.  And, like a few of you, I would MUCH rather buy more curriculum/books than new clothes/shoes/purses. ;)

Ps. I forgot!  Before teaching my oldest to read I bought How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ lessons, as recommended by a friend.  I only opened it once and it now lies completely unused in a box in the basement - it just wasn't for me.  So I guess I've bought 4.  Oh, and I also have WRTR 4th Edition - but I didn't count it because it only cost me $4.  I should count it - I learned a lot in that small book.  Well, I guess I'm really not a minimalist.  Just a wannabe.  :laugh:

Bless your heart.  You have been assimilated. :lol: :hurray:

Not to scare you away...but I've taught 3 kids to read.  I still have about 12 programs for teaching reading on my shelf. I sometimes steal other people's kids for an hour or so and teach them.  I've got baby girl coming up, but she's not even 2yo yet, and it's a long wait...I'm sure there is a 12 step program for this, but I don't need it.

What are the reading levels of these? I bought some of these as my daughter could use more practice and I like the looks of these better than others I've seen and they are cheaper than buying high levels of I See Sam but I was wondering if there was a quick guide to see where they would fit. I know I found a thread earlier today with the levels but I cannot find it anywhere now. Also, I see you recommend 1989, on some I'm only seeing 1995, do you have any knowledge of that year and how it compares?

We have RLTL as well.  My ds is using it for spelling and I started my 6 yr old twin girls with it for reading, after completing LOE A.  The phonograms and rules have not come as fast for them as they did for my ds.  Sometimes they are a bit overwhelmed by all the sounds.  I want to keep moving forward with RLTL, but they needed something that was just reading without analyzing words.  They still do one to two RLTL lists a week with the corresponding story.  We are only on story 7.  But the other three days we read I See Sam books and do Progressive Phonics.  They have gained confidence this way and I feel very chill.  So, four for us, currently using 3.   :001_cool:

ETA: Oh, and they also do Teach Your Monster to Read on the computer.  It's free and really fun! 

I've used Reading Reflex, Phonics Road, WRTR, SWR, OPG, Phonics Pathways, and RLTL. I currently use the last two together: PP 3X/wk and RLTL 2X/wk and phonics flash cards about 3xs/wk. it works. All of the programs worked, I just get bored teaching them.

DS and I started on some PP today - yes, Saturday! - and he really loved it.  He begged to play some of the games, but he's already blending easily, can sound out words, etc.  We're going to play them anyway and just have some fun for a while.  Yes, I know they're all working - obviously - but I was not motivated to sit with him for a phonics lesson so something had to change.  Mom's gotta be motivated!  Thanks for the encouragement!

Can I just say this thread has made me feel a lot better about things? We are only on our second year homeschooling and I am beginning to have a little "collection" as well. I tried OPG also and it's very boring for both myself and my daughter..I keep wondering why I don't sell it, but I just hold onto it for some reason!

• 2 weeks later...

What are the reading levels of these? I bought some of these as my daughter could use more practice and I like the looks of these better than others I've seen and they are cheaper than buying high levels of I See Sam but I was wondering if there was a quick guide to see where they would fit. I know I found a thread earlier today with the levels but I cannot find it anywhere now. Also, I see you recommend 1989, on some I'm only seeing 1995, do you have any knowledge of that year and how it compares?

First Star ? K

The Blue-Pillowed Sky ? K - 1st 

A Shiny Golden Path ? low first grade

Rainbow Bridge 1:3

Slide Down the Sky 2:1

From Sea to Shining Sea 2:2

Time for Dreams 3:1

Across the World 3:2

Over the Moon 4

Sound of the Sea 5

Promises to Keep 6

The grade levels are what are posted on the books.  They correspond to the long vowel first sequence of the old Open Court.  However, even in the lower levels the vocabulary is fairly challenging, and the stated grade levels are below current norms, but probably close to where a well taught phonics student should be.  

That being said, my son is working through the 2:1 book right now and is currently in 4th grade and can read at a 6 - 7th grade level, but the 2nd grade Open Court book is a good fit for his interest and fluent reading ability.

I have not seen the 1995 books, but have heard that the newer version of Open Court is not that great, literature or phonics wise.

Thank you Elizabeth. I have received all the Readers from A Shiny Golden Path up to Across the World. I started her in A Shiny Golden Path and that seems about the right level for practice for her. I'm glad to read your report about the levels, I knew it was lower but it is challenging in a different way, which will be good for her to develop better fluency and confidence.  I went ahead and ordered Rainbow Bridge since it was so cheap and lucky for me the one marked 1995 was actually 1989.

• 2 months later...