Menu

Dolciani Pre-Algebra--Are there any topics missing?

I just bought dh an early Christmas present--the Dolciani Pre-Algebra 1985/1988 Teacher's Edition.  I think it will be his favorite gift of the year.  Thank you for indulging my telling that bit of news.  You people are the only ones I know in the whole world who can share my joy.   :laugh:

Anyway...

Are there any pre-algebra topics either not covered well enough or entirely missing in Dolciani?  Since it is such an old textbook, I am wondering if we may need to supplement it.

Or else...

Does anyone know of a thorough scope and sequence for Pre-Algebra which I could compare to the Dolciani table of contents?

TIA, math friends.

Well, generally speaking I think Dolciani covers what one would consider a classical Pre-A course from a US perspective anyway.  Pre-A is sort of an odd course to many including folks from other countries who include these topics earlier on in a more integrated fashion.  

If you want to compare it to some of the best programs take a look at AoPS and TabletClass for example.  Just bear in mind these programs are somewhat advanced and as such are really introducing algebraic concepts more than reviewing primary mathematics like other Pre-As do.  While Dolciani may not go as deeply or rigorously in some areas I think it covers a good range of Pre-A topics.  

One thing I am wondering is if we should spend more time on probability and related ideas.  The last chapter of Dolciani covers this a little bit, but my impression of modern math textbooks is that they spend more time on the subject.

Any thoughts?

You could always supplement with some probability.  I wouldn't be overly concerned about it keeping in mind this is simply an 'introduction' to it along with many other topics.  The main objective is to prepare for Algebra 1 of which there are many important concepts to cover.  While nice to introduce, P&S will not really help with that preparation.

The new Math Mammoth Pre-A may be another thing to look at which has sections on Probability and Statistics:  http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/grade_7.php

I'm just not sure I would use that as my primary criteria in selecting pre-A since I plan to do much more of both once at the High School level.