Menu

Christmas novel read aloud ideas?

I like to include something Christmas-y for our morning couch time in December. Last year we read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and the year before that we read A Christmas Carol. Ideas for this year? My boys are 12 and 13 if that matters in your suggestions (though they'll sit through nearly anything). Thanks!

• Like 1

The 101 Dalmatians. Really. It's a Christmas story because the pups arrive home on Christmas Eve.

If you have only seen the Disney movie, then you really have very little idea of what the 101 Dalmatians is about. :-)

Also, John Grisham's "Saving Christmas" is quite good ("Christmas with the Kranks" was based on it).

• Like 4

Since you have older children, I left off most of the usual picture books and simple readers. :)

Letters from Father Christmas (Tolkien) -- either ISBN: 9780618009374  OR  ISBN: 9780395596982

Christmas Every Day (Howells)

The Thirteen Days of Christmas (Overton)

Miracle on 34th Street (Davies)

Cricket on the Hearth (Dickens)

Gift of the Magi (Henry)

A Child's Christmas in Wales (Thomas)

The Other Wise Man (Van Dyke)

The Glorious Impossible (L'Engle)

And, some longer picture books, wonderful for ALL ages  :)

The Remarkable Christmas of the Cobbler's Sons (Sawyer)

Small Miracle (Collington)

• Like 13

I like to include something Christmas-y for our morning couch time in December. Last year we read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and the year before that we read A Christmas Carol. Ideas for this year? My boys are 12 and 13 if that matters in your suggestions (though they'll sit through nearly anything). Thanks!

Did they particularly love either of the read alouds?  We like reading the same books year after year.  It becomes a tradition in itself.  

I would reread The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and listen to A Christmas Carol (read by Patrick Stewart) as an audiobook.  

• Like 1

Suggestions for a family with older kids, who has read most of this list ? :)

I really want to do a family read-aloud in December. Has to amuse and entertain 10+. And at least have a Christmas setting

KRINGLE by Tony Abbot

It's an imagining of the origin of Santa Claus in the form of an epic fantasy including vikings,evil goblins, and shoe mending elves. I happened upon it at the library several years ago and now I read it every December. I tried to read it aloud to Squirrelboy last year but he didn't get into it. I plan to try again this year.

• Like 4

Advent is a beautiful time for poetry, too.  Last year I fell in love with Mary's Song by Luci Shaw.  The Glory by Madeline L'Engle is magnificent, too.

Okay, I just have to share my "brush with fame". I have met and chatted with Luci Shaw several times at an arts conference. She was close friends with Madeline L'Engle. And I had lunch at one of these arts conferences with Shaw's husband, a wonderful artist and gentle spirited man who was the son of Christian missionaries in China at the time of the Japanese occupation, and he was one of the boys who was encouraged / helped by Eric Liddell who was imprisoned there as well. :)

• Like 4

Since you have older children, I left off most of the usual picture books and simple readers. :)

Letters from Father Christmas (Tolkien) -- either ISBN: 9780618009374 OR ISBN: 9780395596982

Christmas Every Day (Howells)

The Thirteen Days of Christmas (Overton)

Miracle on 34th Street (Davies)

Cricket on the Hearth (Dickens)

Gift of the Magi (Henry)

A Child's Christmas in Wales (Thomas)

The Other Wise Man (Van Dyke)

The Glorious Impossible (L'Engle)

And, some longer picture books, wonderful for ALL ages :)

The Remarkable Christmas of the Cobbler's Sons (Sawyer)

The Christmas Knight (Curry)

Small Miracle (Collington)

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey (Wojciechowski)

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree (Houston)

LoriD,

Why did you choose those particular editions of Tolkien's book to recommend?

Thanks!

Lori D.,

Why did you choose those particular editions of Tolkien's book to recommend?

Thanks!

Because they are much more complete. There are some other editions out there that are very abridged -- as I recall, this edition is a small size abridged version. From the reviews I read, while this edition is clever, with actual letters and envelopes, the letters are just cut off if they run longer than one page. No information about this edition, and I can't "see inside" to tell if it is abridged or not.

This edition is paperback, older out of print, and leaves out just a few of the "extra" letters (short notes specifically answering questions the Tolkien children were asking). The layout is clean and easy to read, and the artwork is nicely reproduced. In the past, it has been plentiful to find used, and so, not very expensive.

This edition is hardback, more recent, so there are still some new copies floating around. It has all the letters and envelope/stamp artwork created by Tolkien all very nicely reproduced, but the layout is a bit annoying with ghosted design elements under the text, making it harder to read.

This edition is the original hardback. Very nice, but out of print, and is usually really expensive, even finding it used.

• Like 1

I found a book of Christmas stories by Connie Willis I'll probably read to the girls. Or maybe a Jeeves at Christmas book.

Couldn't get my hands on a copy of Kringle, but I did find a book called Nickolai of the North, which sounds promising for ds.

Which is the Jeeves book set during Christmas?  I must find this immediately and read it!

• Like 1

KRINGLE by Tony Abbot

It's an imagining of the origin of Santa Claus in the form of an epic fantasy including vikings,evil goblins, and shoe mending elves. I happened upon it at the library several years ago and now I read it every December. I tried to read it aloud to Squirrelboy last year but he didn't get into it. I plan to try again this year.

I had never heard of this, but am really glad to see my library system has a number of copies!

We loved The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (L. Frank Baum) last year.

THE ALPHABET OF DREAMS by Susan Fletcher. This is for older students, middle school and up. (It has some violence and touches on puberty issues.) It is about a brother and sister from Persia who fall in with the Three Wise Men. A  beautiful story. Well-written and researched.

I found a book of Christmas stories by Connie Willis I'll probably read to the girls. Or maybe a Jeeves at Christmas book.

These are right up my alley. I read that Connie Willis collection several years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gardner. A young boy's advent calendar tells a bit of a story each day, and as the story progresses it becomes a mystery and a time-travel fantasy all in one. I'm not describing it well, but it's a captivating story.

• Like 2

Oh, hooray! We do a "25 Days of Christmas" reading list every year, but we're getting to where many of the picture books are on the younger side. The only chapter books I've been able to come up with have been A Christmas Carol and Letters to Father Christmas (which I enjoyed, but the kids were completely indifferent to it). There are so many great suggestions here.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gardner. A young boy's advent calendar tells a bit of a story each day, and as the story progresses it becomes a mystery and a time-travel fantasy all in one. I'm not describing it well, but it's a captivating story.

Got this from the library and it is fun. Thanks for the suggestion!

ETA, it doesn't end as well as it begins. No gospel, no salvation, no redemption, no eternal significance in this Christmas story. Just a reminder that Jesus taught people to love one another and share with others in need. The mystery part was fun but somehow it didn't all come together well at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

We're reading it for the first time and the boys are loving it!

My kids are asking for Kringle again. This will the 4th year in a row. Each year they find more to talk about: how far north did the Roman settlements actually reach, are there segments of Ygdrasil represented, what do runes actually look like and what do they mean, can we use a sail to push/pull something across ice (and how do we make it easier), and this year they are searching for specific mention of skraelings (I'm looking forward to where that takes them, but dh is not so much). I liked the book but all 3 of mine are nuts about it.

Thanks for the recs! I was thinking of reading little women, I love the Christmas part the most. I guess I should find something a little more Christmas themed!

We are reading Little Women right now. I love it. So much about gratefulness which my kids and I really need right  now. :)

I look forward to the Alcott short stories link!