Menu

French films for teens (or tweens)

EmilyK

I'm sure this has been discussed before, so if someone has better search skills than I do, I'd be happy for the links.

I have a 12 and a 16 year old studying French. This is primarily for the 16 year old and his friends who have been studying French for 4 or 5 years. His teacher said last year that the best thing we could do to support the learning (other than being fluent ourselves, which I'm not anymore) would be to watch movies and the like in French. I tried to find things on our local cable, but I've decided to break down and buy him some French movies on DVD for birthday and Christmas. He likes to have his French class over socially, and I'm imagining that we could show some of these while the kids are over for a meal.

These kids are not particularly sheltered, so a good movie even if it had some nudity would be okay. Conversely, they are not above watching things geared to elementary kids.

I used to go see a lot of French films in the theater in the 70s through early 90s, so I'm trying to remember my favorites.

Some ones that I thought were good then might be too slow on TV? Au Revoir Les Enfants was one I really loved at the time -- would it appeal?

Thanks for any ideas.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, so if someone has better search skills than I do, I'd be happy for the links.

I have a 12 and a 16 year old studying French. This is primarily for the 16 year old and his friends who have been studying French for 4 or 5 years. His teacher said last year that the best thing we could do to support the learning (other than being fluent ourselves, which I'm not anymore) would be to watch movies and the like in French. I tried to find things on our local cable, but I've decided to break down and buy him some French movies on DVD for birthday and Christmas. He likes to have his French class over socially, and I'm imagining that we could show some of these while the kids are over for a meal.

These kids are not particularly sheltered, so a good movie even if it had some nudity would be okay. Conversely, they are not above watching things geared to elementary kids.

I used to go see a lot of French films in the theater in the 70s through early 90s, so I'm trying to remember my favorites.

Some ones that I thought were good then might be too slow on TV? Au Revoir Les Enfants was one I really loved at the time -- would it appeal?

Thanks for any ideas.

Many kids' DVDs have the option of French as the audio language. I know you asked about older age level movies, but Disney movies have been a great option here. Not all of them do (not sure why) but many do. I know Meet the Robinsons does bc dd was watching it the other day. Being familiar with the storyline has helped with her language acquisition skills.

• Like 1

Many kids' DVDs have the option of French as the audio language. I know you asked about older age level movies, but Disney movies have been a great option here. Not all of them do (not sure why) but many do. I know Meet the Robinsons does bc dd was watching it the other day. Being familiar with the storyline has helped with her language acquisition skills.

Thanks. I think that might be particularly good for my younger son.

I found this site tonight that I thought I'd share. http://alliance-us.org/culturetheque-us/ I found a local chapter of the Alliance. On their website, they have a list of memberships. I haven't had an opportunity to search this site thoroughly, but I think everything in the library is accessible with a membership. (Iirc student memberships were inexpensive.)

• Like 2

Agree with PP, I would look at an American TV series that they might enjoy, and get a version that has French dubbing.  Tress from these boards gave me the idea of Star Trek for our German learning, as it has a fun plot line and each episode isn't overwhelmingly long. 

Check the movies you already own and see which ones already have French dubbing! 

Otherwise, while I'm not a huge fan of Frech cinema, I loved Amelie and Longe Dimanche pour les Fiancés wtih the same acress, but know that the second has some very graphic WWI trench warfare scenes. 

• Like 1

Agree with PP, I would look at an American TV series that they might enjoy, and get a version that has French dubbing.  Tress from these boards gave me the idea of Star Trek for our German learning, as it has a fun plot line and each episode isn't overwhelmingly long. 

Check the movies you already own and see which ones already have French dubbing! 

Otherwise, while I'm not a huge fan of Frech cinema, I loved Amelie and Longe Dimanche pour les Fiancés wtih the same acress, but know that the second has some very graphic WWI trench warfare scenes. 

Those are my two absolute favorites, but both have some sex stuff (Amelie with sex store workers, topless dancers, etc.) as a heads up.  A Very Long Engagement has some sex stuff and emotionally difficult trench scenes. I can't wait until my kids are old enough for them.

• Like 1

One of my favorite movies is Au Revoir Les Enfants, by Louis Malle. It's about Catholic boarding school children in occupied France during WWII, and what happens when Jewish students are hidden in their school. It's based on the director's real-life experiences. 

• Like 2

One of my favorite movies is Au Revoir Les Enfants, by Louis Malle. It's about Catholic boarding school children in occupied France during WWII, and what happens when Jewish students are hidden in their school. It's based on the director's real-life experiences. 

That sounds really interesting!  Thanks for the recommendation!

What is up with French Cinema- either it's really heavy, or it's really naked.  lol.

• 9 months later...

I know it's late, but I've been compiling a list.  I hope this helps.  I'm pretty prudish about sex in film with kids, but the parents advisories look ok for the first list and the last.  You will have to look for yourself, though, as your standards might differ. :)  Sorry about the lack of capitalization, I typed it up quickly. 

likely ok:
Au Revoir Les Enfants
The Returned (Netflix-this one does have a couple iffy scenes and some nudity but it is done well, I have watched it, and it's ok for teens IMO)
Extraordinary adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec (Netflix)
The Chorus (Netflix, Amazon rental)
The Kid With a Bike (Netflix)
The City of Lost Children (buy amazon)
Delicatessen (amazon rent)
haute cuisine
Camille Claudel 1915 (netflix)
le petit nicolas (buy)
a cat in paris (netflix)
Monsieur Lazhar (netflix instant)
Belle Et Sebastien (amazon buy)

watch first:
Amelie
A Very Long Engagement
cafe de flore
therese (netflix)
renoir
barbecue (netflix)
le week end
girl on a bicycle (netflix)
grand hotel (netflix)
widow of st pierre
chinese puzzle
coco avant chanel
manon of the spring
La Vie en Rose
Les Triplettes de Belville
400 Blows

Check for French versions:
War of the Buttons (netflix)
Rabbi's Cat (netflix)
Princes and Princesses (no longer on netflix)
The painting (netflix)
tales of the night (no longer on netflix)
a monster in paris (netflix)

• Like 3