Menu

WWS1 and Paragraph Composing

Would WWS1 at half pace / my daughter's pace and Paragraph Composing for Middle School be overkill? We are currently using Sentence Composing for Elementary school to augment her grammar lessons, for example, this is an appositive and this is how writers use it. Paragraph Composing seems like the next logical step but I don't want to use two things that will teach the same thing. I see that SWB's updated recommendations have the option of Paragraph Composing and then WWS. We started WWS this week, and I figure we will finish it sometime next year, sixth grade. Essentially, would Paragraph Composing alongside WWS be too much? 

Thanks for your help. :)

That sounds like a good plan, especially since you mention going at your daughter's pace.  We have always used Killgallon books along with WWS. :)

ETA: I'm not familiar with the Paragraph Composing book. We've only used the Sentence Composing ones. Right now we are doing WWS 2 and Grammar for High School: A Sentence-Composing Approach, along with some other odds and ends. ;)

My son is a 4th grader using WWE3 and Killgallon Paragraphs for Elementary School and we are finding it a great combo. I haven't made my final decision about 5th grade writing yet but my choices are either skip WWE4 and go with WWS1 spread over 5-6 and use Killgallon Sentence in 5 and Killgallon grammar in 6th  OR go with WWE4 and Killgallon Sentence in 5th and WWS1 and Killgallon grammar in 6th...?

Anyway, when I was doing my research I found that the suggested sequence for Killgallon in elementary is

1. Sentence Composing for Elementary

2. Story Grammar for Elementary

3. Paragraphs for Elementary

So, I have extrapolated from that,  that the sequence for middle school and high school should follow the same pattern of sentence, grammar and paragraph.

What I don't know is if it is 'too much'. I have gone through WWS1-3 with my older boy and given what I am learning from Killgallon for Elementary, I don't think there will be a huge amount of overlap. But I don't know for sure. The approach of Killgallon and WWE/WWS is very different.

I am sorry if this isn't what you are looking for, but it's all I got, lol.

We do something else for grammar so I was going to skip the grammar one though. Now I'm wondering if it is necessary now. Yikes.

Keep in mind I haven't seen a Killgallon grammar book of any level, but when I asked I was told that it isn't the same grammar like Rod and Staff or FLL is grammar. It is about the application of grammar to writing? I am sounding as clear as mud because I haven't seen it for myself. But people who have used it have told me that it doesn't take the place of a traditional grammar program.

We have been using Our Mother Tongue and plan to use R&S 6 next year, because I have it from when I reacquainted myself with grammar years ago.

ETA: I found this:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/366368-killgallon-story-grammar-vs-sentence-composing-for-elementary/

That explains how Story Grammar and our Grammar program would compliment each other. I'd like her to work on paragraphs though, I think.

My daughter is a little older (almost 12, 7th grade), but we are doing WWS1 with Paragraph Composing for Middle School. We also do Analytical Grammar. She was in school until this October, and I feel like they didn't do any grammar or writing instruction, so we are catching up. It may be an overkill in terms of the time spend, but I don't feel like there is much overlap among these programs. Killgallon focuses on writing good sentences. Even the paragraph book is mostly about using sentences to strengthen paragraphs. The first third is entirely about sentence composing. Only closer to the end it switches to descriptive paragraphs, We will probably slow down as it gets more involved, but right now we are going at normal speed.