Menu

Looking For the Low Down on Hewitt's Conceptual Physics

Ds just threw me a curve ball and decided that next year instead of the Earth and Life Science that I have mostly all figured out, he wants to do physics.  Since the holidays are going to fly buy, and the spring normally has me doing a thousand things at once, I thought I best ask now.

I was considering Hewitt's Conceptual Physics, though he will have the math background to handle quite a bit of Algebra based physics.  I am assuming that the mathematics in Algebra based would be fairly substantial and the major fixture of the curriculum.  That has not really worked out before as Ds is not really looking to stretch himself in science.  He is curious, but needs a bit of depth and content to keep him going.  I am looking for something like the Apologia Chemistry or GPB Chemistry.  Some math, but light and not central to the science. Anyone have experience here?

Does the edition of Hewitt matter? 

We are looking at the college version instead of the high school.  Is there something in the high school edition that we really should have that is not in the college edition?

Supposedly there are no answers, but you can purchase a practice workbook which contains the odd answers along with extra problems.  Is this accurate?  For the tenth edition there is Problem Solving in Conceptual Physics for Conceptual Physics appears to be the practice workbook.  What is in Practicing Physics for Conceptual Physics?

Are there any other programs out there that are not mathematics central that might be better, more interesting, or that I should consider?

I'll throw this up on the high school board if needed, but I was wanting to see if anyone here has info for kids who are younger, but really want content.

ETA:  He will be in sixth grade next year, through Algebra 1 and about half of Geometry.  He will also have completed Earth Science and Chemistry.

We're using the 9th edition.  I couldn't tell you what differences there are between it and the "high school" version.  Considering the scope / depth of the one we are using, I doubt it matters all that much as to which version you choose.

The "Practicing Physics" book is a set of worksheets to accompany the text.  We use it as well as doing every problem in the problem sets.  There is also a laboratory manual, which we do not use.  "Problem Solving" is something of an attempt to throw math into a conceptual course, and it feels like a bit of an unnecessary hack, especially if you plan to do more physics later on.  Conceptual Physics is all about understanding the physics without the distraction of the mathematics, so the additional exercises don't make much sense to me. 

The book moves very quickly.  Even for DS8, it is a one-year-or-less program, but he is really, really committed to it.  His course progression in physics will look something like: Conceptual Physics, astronomy / astrophysics, college physics (2-year pace), ? (need a year to catch up on calculus), calculus-based physics (2-year pace, with modern physics), mechanics, electrodynamics, on so on.  For DS12, who is not so into physics, he is going through a chapter per day in Conceptual Physics, will switch to a slow row through college physics for the balance of 7th and 8th grades, and then do high school physics in 10th, followed by calculus-based physics in 12th.

There is a thread with a good deal of info, if you would like to know more:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/470118-hewitts-conceptual-physics-resources/

• Like 1

My 7th grader is using the 9th edition.  I am using selected online answers to the problems in the book.  My son spends about 3-4 hours a week on it right now and he is on chapter 9 (about 1/3 through our school year).  You can see our course outline here:  http://eclectic-homeschool.com/conceptual-physics-9th-edition-by-paul-hewitt-course-outline/  He pretty much does everything independently.  I just check his answers to the problems at the end of the chapter.

• Like 2

Your responses have helped quite a lot.

Mike - If you all finish the book earlier than one year, is there anything you are planning on doing to finish out the year?  We have Thames and Kosmos kits as a lab portion, so that will stretch it a bit, and I can add in various literature, though I am open to options.

Embassy - Has it worked out to about a chapter a week? The schedule and resources on your blog are quite detailed, Thank You.

For DS8, we aren't too worried about it.  If we finish early, we can add in labs, videos (he loves Hawking videos), or start astronomy/astrophysics a bit earlier than planned.  That one could take more than a year, even without the math.  We also have some of Einstein's more accessible writings on relativity with limited math requirements, which we might use as filler.  He really wants to learn more about string theory and quantum physics, so we'll try to scrounge something up there in a year or so.  We can probably go two more years without hitting the Sears & Zemansky, which will give him time to mature mathematically...

For DS12, he is definitely going to finish mid-year, but the depth will not be as good, because he rushes -- a one-year pace is a good target.  For him, we'll go straight to the S&Z algebra-based, and have him do about half of the problems.  He won't be able to rush, and he'll need to refer back to Conceptual Physics from time to time.  For the whole book, he'll need 1.5 to 2 years (it's harder than the calculus-based), so no problem there schedule-wise. 

• Like 1

Here is our curriculum for DS8 for next year:

http://www.springer.com/astronomy/book/978-3-540-34143-7

http://www.springer.com/astronomy/astrobiology/book/978-1-4419-1646-4

The first one is very dense, and will likely last more than a year.  It absolutely requires a solid understanding of the concepts of physics.  The second one is an easier read, but requires some basic life science, and preferably some basic chemistry.

• Like 2

The first one is very dense, and will likely last more than a year.  It absolutely requires a solid understanding of the concepts of physics.  The second one is an easier read, but requires some basic life science, and preferably some basic chemistry.

Wow, thanks for posting those!!  The second one looks perfect for us.

Embassy - Has it worked out to about a chapter a week? The schedule and resources on your blog are quite detailed, Thank You.

Not really.  I don't have things set up that way through.  He is splitting his time between 3 things (Biology, Physics, Computer programming) and every day is different.  He also had a big project that took up a chunk of time.  However, it would be easy to do a chapter a week if this course was the focus.  I'd guess that the outline generally takes 3-4 hours per chapter for the most part.  

• Like 2

Thank you for the references - I am getting both books.

(ETA: they are much cheaper on amazon than via springer.)

• Like 1

I can not recommend a physics textbook (Knight looks great but requires calculus), but two physics problem/solution books I find awesome are:

- 'Thinking physics' by Epstein

- 'The flying circus of physics' by Walker.

As a textbook, we are going to try

- 'How things work' by Bloomfield.

(We have not started yet, and we'll see how things go.)

ETA: submitted unfinished post, corrected now.

• Like 1

Here are resources I have found involving Conceptual Physic types of curriculum:

Hewitt Conceptual Physics Texts

Editions do not matter, though it appears that if there are more than a couple years apart, you want to have the same Practice and Problem Solving guides to go with the text edition.

Practice Guides which as Mike said above are like worksheets

Problem Solving Guide as per Mike again is math problems to go with the text

Laboratory Manual

Test Packet

Media Workbook - "This workbook provides activities related to each of the Interactive Tutorials on The Physics Place website that will help students maximize their study time by reinforcing the key concepts presented in each Tutorial."

PowerPoints to go with each chapter of Conceptual Physics

Other Texts and Supplementary Books

Physics of Superheros by James Kakalios

Fun book which uses the classic Marvel and DC superheroes to explain physics concepts or rather works a bit in reverse where it uses physics to explain how the powers of each superhero is possible due to physics.

Cartoon Guide to Physics by Larry Gonick

Velocity, acceleration, explosions, electricity and magnetism, circuits -- even a taste of relativity theory -- and more, in simple, clear, and funny illustrations.

Backyard Ballistics and Art of the Catapult by William Gurstelle

Clear instructions, diagrams, and photographs show how to build projects ranging from the simple match-powered rocket to the more complex tabletop catapult and the offbeat Cincinnati fire kite.

Art of the Catapult by William Gurstelle

Instructions and diagrams illustrate how to build seven authentic working model catapults, including an early Greek ballista, a Roman onager, and the apex of catapult technology, the English trebuchet. Additional projects include learning how to lash and make rope and how to construct and use a hand sling and a staff sling. Bits of history about siege warfare are thrown in here and there as well.

How Things Work: Physics of Everyday Life by Louis Bloomfield

This book uses everyday objects to explain physics principles.  It integrates case studies throughout the chapters to easily convey an understanding and appreciation for physics. For example, discussions of skating, falling balls, and bumper cars are included to explain the Laws of Motion. Air conditioners and automobiles are used to explore thermodynamics.

The Way Things Work by David Macaulay

Pictoral reference book designed to demystify the science and technology explaining the compound machines involved in larger systems.  Full page spreads about inner workings of various everyday items with information on the inner workings of everything from the World Wide Web to windmills, in order to guide readers through the fundamental principles of machines.

Thames and Kosmos Kits

These are as close as I have found to the working physics kits used in public school classrooms for high school students.  There are probably dozens of other providers, but I have never found any that are designed to be used repeatedly and hold up to lots of abuse.  These are meant to be used by kids over and over without breaking.

Electricity and Magnetism (60 experiments)

This is an overview kit of electro magnetism.  Thames and Kosmos has more significant kids on electricity for those interested, but this one works well to provide the basic components of both subjects while still being engaging enough to last quite some time.

Solar Physics Workshop (12 models)

Focusing on how solar cells transform light into electrical energy, and how motors and mechanical devices can optimize the work done by this energy. Build different types of vehicles and machines to demonstrate how gears can convert and transform power for different needs.

Physics Workshop (36 models)

Build a windmill, crane, sail car, mars robot, hammer machine, centrifuge, scale and dozens of other models
experiment with simple machines: gears, levers, screws, inclined planes, pulleys, wheels and axles
learn and understand the most fundamental physics equations

Physics Pro (14 large models, multiple smaller)

The largest of the physics kits with advanced topics such as fluid dynamics, energy, oscillation, hydraulics, and pneumatics.

(All physics workshop kits are compatible with each other and are very similar to really neat lego sets where kids can build varying degrees of complex working models that actually do things.

Let me know if I have left out any awesome resources and I can keep adding to the list.  Above thread other links have been posted to textbooks as well.

• Like 3

I can not recommend a physics textbook (Knight looks great but requires calculus), but two physics problem/solution books I find awesome are:

- 'Thinking physics' by Epstein

- 'w.

I can't find samples for this book, but I am wondering what the text looks like. Would a bright 5th grader handle it? I am looking for physics resources for DS for next year.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread.

How did it go for you who did it last school year?

I have decided for my ds ( turning 14 in the fall) to use 9th edition Hewitt Conceptual Physics because I bought it a couple years ago and because there are such rich resources thanks to you. I will probably follow Embassy's plan. I especially like the shortened questions and exercises and the YouTube links. Ds will get sent this plan to his iPhone to track his own schedule.

Now I have another question: Do you make your own tests? If you have tests that you don't mind sharing with me, that would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Edited by JadeOrchidSong
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...