Menu

powdered/confectioners sugar

Tohru

Powdered sugar does contain an anti-caking agent, and I'd imagine different brands use differing amounts. I've seen things about making your own using a food processor. I know I have tasted the plain powdered sugar from a bag of store brand before and it has a kind of metallic taste that is just nasty. So I know what you are talking about. It wasn't like the yummy stuff on powdered donuts at all.

When I worked in a bakery (the 1980's!)  we could buy different grinds of powdered sugar. We used 6x and 10x- the 10x was more finely ground and melted in your mouth.  The way a powdered doughnut felt. We used 6x to make buttercream because it was cheaper than the 10x.  The industry standard used to be 10x for consumer sugar but I wonder if it still is. I used to be able to tell the difference between 10x and 6x by tasting a tiny bit- it felt different!   Also, I think they're adding a lot more cornstarch to the sugar to keep it from clumping (and cornstarch is cheaper than sugar so I also suspect it's a filler)  

I use Domino. I have bought the Walmart brand but my family can tell the difference so I switched back to Domino. 

Don't you hate it when you go to the trouble to make something and an ingredient lets you down? Ugh!

There is a different ratio of sugar:cornstartch or other filler that changes the taste.  I used to make this simple frosting recipe all the time, but haven't for years.  This was the first time my frosting turned out icky, but it seems like for the past year or so everything we've used powdered sugar on has had that same not-good taste and I keep throwing out the bag and trying a new one.

It is the filler...

I do a lot of cake decorating and it is sad that I now have to read labels of a simple product like sugar because they are putting fillers in-- supposedly for texture--but now it seems to cheapen the product (texture was fine 2 years ago-- but now they have nearly trippled the amount of corn starch!).

I've been leaning towards the organic stuff...