Menu

An informal poll - men with salt & pepper hair

Heather in OK

Salt & Pepper  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Should men with salt & pepper hair use Just For Men?

• Yes! Wash that grey right out of his hair!
    • No! Salt & Pepperâ?¦*wink wink* Hot stuff!!
    • It depends.

I am speaking as a gal who recently stopped dying her hair:  I recommend never starting.  It's expensive, people somehow always notice the parts you don't want them to, and then you agonize about when to stop.  My 80-some-odd year old grandmother was black-haired until the day she died because she couldn't find a good point at which to stop.  I, myself, was agonizing over how much gray was in my hair and how patchy it looked -- until I found myself in a situation where I had much more roots showing than intended, and realized the salt and pepper look on me might still be more pepper than salt.

I used a temporary root cover-up twice out of desperation (first, to conceal for a funeral I was attending, then to blur the edge of the stripe when the roots grew out again), and that's the last coloring I've done on my hair.  It's really not all that bad, and people STILL think I'm younger than I am.  I'm really quite enjoying this, now, especially the lack of hassle.

I have an olive completed older relative whose natural color is a beautiful salt and pepper. It would look strikingly beautiful and naturally flattering, if she would only let it grow out. Instead she must feel it makes her look old, because she has it colored blonde (a rather unfortunate shade that does not well complement her skin time).

I am coloring mine less and less. Starting to embrace that grey.

Salt and pepper guys? Like!

I'm 38 and have been about 90% gray for 4-5 years.  Absolutely not one bit ashamed that I color my roots (and that's exactly what I'm doing right now).  When I'm of the age to have a head full of gray hair, I'll stop coloring it.  

But this poll/post isn't about ladies.  It's about the guys.  ;)

Of course it should be his decision.  This is just a silly, Friday night poll to prove to my husband that women dig men with S&P hair and that it doesn't make him look old.   :lol:

I voted before I read this post. I am heartily in favor of salt-and-pepper hair. I find it irresistible. I was beyond delighted when my dh's hair morphed some lovely, distinguished gray wings.

Salt & pepper indicates white or silver and black, while my dh's hair is muting out lighter and lighter and was brown, I can't really see a particular color.

If the guy is under 35, yes Grecian Formula.

Most guys, I think, are touchy about looking older than they are, especially in their mid 30s.

I LOVE salt and pepper on a man. I also LOVE a salt and pepper goatee. Yummy.

Once, for about a year, my father kept a grey goatee. He has always otherwise been clean-shaven. I LOVED the way my dad looked with the silver goatee! He looked like a Cambridge Lit professor! He's a tall man, who wears glasses and cardigans, and he just had the studious professor look in spades!

Alas, my mom complained about it constantly until he shaved it off. I was sad.

I always imagined I would marry at 27 to an older divorceé with two nearly-grown children. Instead I married at 20 to a baby-faced 23 year old. Now that we are in our thirties, he finally has become the man of my dreams! ;) I am sooo loving his weathered look, and he has S&P hair that shows when he's on leave and doesn't cut it weekly.

For me it's not a male/female thing, it's hair length. I find I like short hair any color--black, white, grey, S&P. But I am not so fond of grey in long hair.

Don't know why it should matter, but somehow that is my personal preference. I'm coloring my hair these days because I am growing it out; someday when I cut it short again I will happily let the grey show.

If I'm being honest, I've always preferred guys with salt & pepper hair. As in, since I was 13. Was a little weird when my friends were fangirling over the New Kids on the Block and I was all about Richard Gere and Sean Connery, lol. I would LOVE for DH to get salt & pepper hair.... instead he's just going bald, rofl. Darn my luck.

I wish my dh had any hair for that matter, lol :)

Yeah, I was thinking similarly--that dh doesn't have enough hair to be S&P. Plus he's blond so the white just all sort of blends in . . . not that there's much to blend in with in the first place. lol

dh does not have salt and pepper.  his sideburns/temples have finally turned gray, and his hair started to thin a few years back, but he's still red.  did I mention he's in his mid 60's?

I've been dying my gray for a decade . . . . . it's just not fair.

NOooooo

Grey hair is so attractive.

Appart form being so attractive it is also a sign of wisdom (according to the bible)> Which makes my DH very very wise :lol: :lol:

My DH has now passed the grey stage and is slivery white. He started going grey while a very young teen, by around 25 he was more grey then colour.  All my  biological boys have a few grey hairs and started getting them when about 6.

For me it's not a male/female thing, it's hair length. I find I like short hair any color--black, white, grey, S&P. But I am not so fond of grey in long hair.

Don't know why it should matter, but somehow that is my personal preference. I'm coloring my hair these days because I am growing it out; someday when I cut it short again I will happily let the grey show.

I'd never though about it, but now that you mention it I realize I totally agree with this.  I think short gray hair can look very attractive on men and women.  But I don't recall ever seeing anyone who IMO truly looked good in long gray hair.

As far as the poll -- I voted it depends.  I really think that coloring gray hair is something that is totally fine to do or not do, depending on whichever makes the person feel better about himself (or herself).  Notice I didn't say look better. ;)

Bahahaha! So far, I'm the only vote for YES.

Ah well . . .

My SIL is very annoyed that her dh will not color his grey. She says, "Uh! He looks ancient! it's weird to me. Her dh is handsome with grey.

I'd never though about it, but now that you mention it I realize I totally agree with this.  I think short gray hair can look very attractive on men and women.  But I don't recall ever seeing anyone who IMO truly looked good in long gray hair.

As far as the poll -- I voted it depends.  I really think that coloring gray hair is something that is totally fine to do or not do, depending on whichever makes the person feel better about himself (or herself).  Notice I didn't say look better. ;)

Mh dh's family runs strong in the early gray genes. HIs aunt has had snowy white hair just below the shoulder as long as I have known her. It, and she, are gorgeous. His mother and other aunt have short hair. 

I wish my dh had any hair for that matter, lol :)

My DH ended up with even less hair this time around on the cut.  I forgot to put the #2 comb on the trimmers before starting!  He's sporting a "0" cut now!

Not much noticeably gray on his head even before the cut, but I quite like salt & pepper, and look forward to the day when his finally shows.  Though at the rate his bald spot is growing that might take a while.  But that, too, I am finding QUITE appealing!  :w00t: