Menu

Accurate age appropriateness for Sonlight?

Years ago, we used Sonlight Core 5 with my first and it was fine. I was thinking of switching from MFW (which is a little slow) to Core B (1) with my 1st grade student.

After looking over the first few weeks, it seems that the books aren't quite age appropriate - they are just a tad too advanced.  For example, Homer Price is one of the Read-Alouds, but recommended for grades 3-5 on some websites and Hillyer's history is scheduled, but it's Calvert's primary text used in 4th grade.

Is this typical for the early grades?  I'm trying to find something that has everything scheduled out for us because I don't have the time to do it myself, but I want age appropriate books.

TIA

I find that Sonlight is age appropriate.  If this is your main concern, and you like the looks of Sonlight otherwise, I would suggest trying it and perhaps making sure you do narrations after readings to reinforce them and check that the child is getting the main ideas. 

Homer Price and the Calvert history are often assigned for the grade levels Sonlight is using, so I would not let that throw you off.  You could also post on the Sonlight forums -- obviously, they are biased toward Sonlight :)  but they often have helpful ideas for implementation. 

We found SL to be age-appropriate for the most part, maturity-wise--but just a LOT of reading.  Took a ton of time to get through it; we went from P 3/4 to Core D, then switched to MFW last year.  We are doing Rome to Reformation this year, 5th and 6th grader.

The books would probably be hard for a child to read on their own at the age they show up in SL, but with a parent reading them aloud and discussing it, that changes the appropriate age level, I think--

B------