Menu

Sickness, growth, brain vacations and medication

Soror

So, for the last month or so it has seemed that my son's brain seems to have been absent. It seemed all the work we had done had almost entirely disappeared. His fluency which had much improved was dismal again, his speed, although never fast had even improved as had his focus were worse than ever. I told my husband that we needed to consider meds again because it wasn't fair to him struggle so much. Then lo and behold this week I start to see him return and yesterday going through his math he rattled off various times tables (whereas last week he seemed he could hardly remember his times or addition facts). My husband who has been working with him on programming noticed the difficulty and now improvement as well, so it was certainly not imagined.

Now, generally he is not one to get sick but a few weeks back we went to the dr and he said his lymph nodes were swollen, he had no signs of illness otherwise (we were there for a wart). Maybe 2 weeks after that he did come down with something and we've finally passed it. I've noticed before the day before he gets sick(which is usually only a 1 day thing) he will be uber grumpy and have difficulty with school (this is always before he has any other symptoms so it took me a while to figure out that this was my warning he was coming down with something) perhaps this is similar and his body was fighting off something although that seems awful long for that to be the reason. 

Similarly I've heard others say that their kids went through difficulties during puberty. Is this why many end up medicating at this age? Is that what we have to look forward to? Goodness I hope not. Has anyone else noticed increased difficulty with their child during illness?