Menu

Floridians (Clearwater), please answer -

sheryl

I want to say it's 5-10 miles long?  But it's beautiful.  It's a causeway, so it's not like you're way up high for a very long time…just in a few places you go up a bit so boats can pass.

I have a very strong fear of heights.  This is not something that bothers me at all.

I live in Clearwater.  I do not do high bridges (cannot drive on 275 from St. Pete to Manatee County - have to go the long way North of Tampa).

The road you are talking about is at ground level and in most spots there is a beach on both sides (or a small beach and a strip of land on the other).  There is one spot where it is elevated to allow small boats to pass underneath.  I have never had a problem with it at all. It is actually a beautiful drive.

Good luck!

I want to say it's 5-10 miles long?  But it's beautiful.  It's a causeway, so it's not like you're way up high for a very long time…just in a few places you go up a bit so boats can pass.

I have a very strong fear of heights.  This is not something that bothers me at all.

I live in Clearwater.  I do not do high bridges (cannot drive on 275 from St. Pete to Manatee County - have to go the long way North of Tampa).

The road you are talking about is at ground level and in most spots there is a beach on both sides (or a small beach and a strip of land on the other).  There is one spot where it is elevated to allow small boats to pass underneath.  I have never had a problem with it at all. It is actually a beautiful drive.

Good luck!

You both should work for the visitor's office - you make me want to come and drive this road!

Umsami, Pink/Green - thanks!  So, it's low to the water.  OK.  I don't care for height as well, but still close to the water.  YIKES!   But, you say it's pretty and there are beaches/land that run "most" of the drive.  Or, land on one side?  Rt. 60?  It looks like the bridge is surrounded by water.  My guess was 5 miles when I "mapped" it.   10 miles - gulp.   Years ago I drove with family across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway which is looooooooong!  That was 30 years ago though. 

Twigs - you're funny!

Pink/Green,  do you  mean you take rt.  75?

I magnified rt. 60 and see most of the bridge is over land.   Still, my dd just reminded me (thanks dd!) that we'll be squeezed in on both sides surrounded and looking at water!  HA!  Similar to driving the Outer Banks here in NC!  :lol:

Umsami, Pink/Green - thanks! So, it's low to the water. OK. I don't care for height as well, but still close to the water. YIKES! But, you say it's pretty and there are beaches/land that run "most" of the drive. Or, land on one side? Rt. 60? It looks like the bridge is surrounded by water. My guess was 5 miles when I "mapped" it. 10 miles - gulp. Years ago I drove with family across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway which is looooooooong! That was 30 years ago though.

Twigs - you're funny!

You can see land for most (maybe all?) of the Clearwater drive. It's not like Ponchatrain, where you feel stranded in the middle.

Pink/Green,  do you  mean you take rt.  75?

I magnified rt. 60 and see most of the bridge is over land.   Still, my dd just reminded me (thanks dd!) that we'll be squeezed in on both sides surrounded and looking at water!  HA!  Similar to driving the Outer Banks here in NC!  :lol:

Yes, when I go from Clearwater to Sarasota/points south to visit family and I am driving, I take Courtney Campbell to 275North to Selmons Expressway, to 75 South. 

If you want to tell me where you are coming from/going to there is most likely an alternate route - will be no where near as pretty though.

Sassenach, thanks!

Pink/Green, From Charlotte, NC which will lead us down to Jacksonville, FL.   I was thinking 301 outside of Jacksonville to 75 leading in to Tampa.  But, you've mentioned along with others that it won't be as pretty of a drive.   I will brave it and drive on rt. 60.  But, 275 sounds like a challenge!   Wow.  I noticed by zooming in on maps that 275 is partly over land as well.  It must be not as much and a few of you have mentioned it's elevated/high, hence the name Skyway, right?

The Courtney Campbell is probably the tamest of all the bridges across the bay. If you aren't driving, keep an eye out for dolphins!

Here's a video:

. It looks like just over 30 seconds on the actual span, so not bad at all. The music cracks me up, too!

I personally think the Sunshine Skyway is magnificent but other members of my family don't agree. I'm the only one who can drive it. :)

If you're interested,here's short video:

Sassenach, thanks!

Pink/Green, From Charlotte, NC which will lead us down to Jacksonville, FL.   I was thinking 301 outside of Jacksonville to 75 leading in to Tampa.  But, you've mentioned along with others that it won't be as pretty of a drive.   I will brave it and drive on rt. 60.  But, 275 sounds like a challenge!   Wow.  I noticed by zooming in on maps that 275 is partly over land as well.  It must be not as much and a few of you have mentioned it's elevated/high, hence the name Skyway, right?

OK, I used to live in Jacksonville.  It's known for its bridges.  There are at least seven over the St. John's River.  Dames Point on 295 from the airport doesn't bother me, but it's a big high bridge.  Beautiful, though IMHO.

Fuller-Warren (95)  is not as high….and you kind of don't notice as much that you're on a bridge, because you're too busy with traffic.  Often stop and go there.

I think if you're coming from Amelia Island/North Georgia you could take the Mayport Ferry….but that's going to be a bit out of your way.

There would be a way to get off of 275 before Tampa Intl. Airport that would wind you through nothing but strip malls and traffic lights (welcome to Tampa and Pinellas!) and through Oldsmar which is just north of the bay.  From Oldsmar you run into North Clearwater/Countryside and can pick up Route 19 which runs North/South and would meet up again with Route 60 west of bay and east of the beach.  (I believe the exit off of 275 is for Hillsborough Ave. which turns into Tampa Road at some point - also called 580). 

But do stay away from the Skyway Bridge - it is long, high, and suspension in the middle (horror upon horror upon horror).

You picked a great time to head this way - weather has been beautiful!  We've gotten over the high 90s high humidity and are now just in high 80s/low 90s with humidity gone.

heartosunshine,  I watched the videos.  thanks. very helpful.  dd and I watched the videos.

pink/green, ibwatson and all - based on heartosunshine's video links, i'll go on rt. 60 but NOT skyway.   that is way.over.the.top. for me - LOL!  that's literal and figuratively speaking.

pink/green, I do think Nov. is one of the best months to visit florida.  it's hot for me in charlotte, nc let alone further south! LOL!   we visited WDW first week of Nov. 2010 and it was excellent. 

thanks all.  I really do appreciate it.   

I personally think the Sunshine Skyway is magnificent but other members of my family don't agree. I'm the only one who can drive it. :)

If you're interested,here's short video: Skyway Bridge.

I don't know if the video covers it (I'm at home with a connection too slow for video), and not for the faint of heart with bridges, but we used to LOVE driving over the Skyway when you could look out and see the old broken bridge standing there as a reminder of that "one time..."  It was certainly sad, but a good reminder of how fragile and unexpected life can be.  (Do NOT look at the pics if it'll be too haunting!)

http://www.floridastateparks.org/history/parkhistory.cfm?parkid=180

The new one is a neat looking bridge.  We've driven over it many times.  The causeways are more fun though as one can more easily see dolphins and they're definitely less scary for the faint of heart.