Menu

Holy Tuition Batman!

So...since we are now *most likely* heading back to the states within the next 6-8 months :/ I was looking up CC courses for my oldest child.  A standard 3-credit hour course is $435!  $435 for a CC course!   :svengo: DS could dual enroll in my alma mater (a 4-year accredited university) for $495!!  I am looking at just math, lab science and foreign language.

As far as I can tell, there is no tuition assistance for homeschooled, dual enrolled high schoolers at the CC.  

But, the DE option is competitive with many of the on-line AP courses I've seen (in some cases, cheaper)...

I'm envious.  We paid $750 for a basic three hour cc course... and there was no tuition assistance here either.

The credits didn't even transfer for middle son (his AP courses did since he did well on the tests).  However, I remind myself that we chose the courses we did for high school, not for college.  In his case, it's a good thing they didn't transfer as his four year U is considerably more rigorous.

Cc credits did transfer for oldest and youngest.  AP would have too, but they didn't do them.

We're in a good place right now because the cost is subsidized by the state for all cc tuition.

But I was looking at another school in a state we used to live in and it was $250 per credit there too.

What I didn't realize until recently is that you can get financial aid and even college loans for cc. Seems that could be a bad thing in some cases.

If you don't need live classes.

This thread may give you alternative ideas for math:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526016-at-my-wits-end-trying-to-find-a-calculus-course-need-recommendations-please/?hl=calculus&do=findComment&comment=5923718

OR

if your domicile state has Connections Academy as a free Public Charter (they have a nice course selection including AP and Honors) and seem willing to take home-school credits.

http://www.connectionsacademy.com

Online AP classes are typically $500 +  so that DE cost is in the ball-park.

Welcome home in 6-8 months! :)

I was looking up CC courses for my oldest child.  A standard 3-credit hour course is $435!  $435 for a CC course!   :svengo: DS could dual enroll in my alma mater (a 4-year accredited university) for $495!! 

If the goal is to try and reduce college costs by knocking out credits while still in high school, you might look into CLEP and/or DSST tests -- about $125 per test, per course. CLEP/DSST grant credit, but carries no GPA; CLEP/DSST are accepted at many, but not all, universities, and some universities accept only very limited specific CLEPs/DSSTs to count towards degree program requirements, and the rest are counted as "electives".

This may be an especially good option for your DS (depending on what university he is thinking of attending) -- weren't you planning on a lot of APs? Upon completing the AP, you could have DS study the corresponding CLEP/DSST book and take the test while still "fresh".

Also, the university your DS ends up attending may grant credit for some of his APs.

I am looking at just math, lab science and foreign language.

If the goal is to outsource high school classes you don't want to have to tackle at home, you could also look at homeschool high school online options. But honestly, the good quality ones all run $300-$500 per class per semester -- right in the same ballpark of dual enrollment at your CC and university. And, no college credit, since they are high school level.

If you just need to outsource and are okay with NOT having college credit, other less expensive options to look into:

- if available in your area: take 1-2 classes at the local public, private, or charter high school

- trade off with another homeschooling parent -- you teach their high schooler with your DS in a subject of your strength, and they teach your DS in the area of their strength for the math, science or foreign language

- homeschool co-op for science labs

- programs with DVD teacher lessons, and/or online video tutorials (and hire an occasional tutor as needed)

- ALEKS Math -- outsourced, self-paced ($20/month OR $180/year, and offers sibling discounts)

- Virtual Homeschool Group -- free online homeschool co-op (science = Apologia; either live classes, or at your own pace) (math = Saxon, at your own pace)

As far as I can tell, there is no tuition assistance for homeschooled, dual enrolled high schoolers at the CC.  

No, there really isn't, unless your state offers some sort of dual enrollment tuition break. :(

And you do want to be careful if dual enrollment were to be eligible for scholarships or federal grants. There is usually an overall limit on how many semesters or years a student can receive aid. For example, federal pell grants are awarded for a maximum of 12 semesters (6 years), and if your student will be either going for a Master's degree, or need more than 4 years to complete a Bachelor's program, you don't want to have used up some of those semesters on part-time college of dual enrollment, when it will REALLY be needed later for full-time college.

A standard 3-credit hour course is $435!  $435 for a CC course!    :svengo: DS could dual enroll in my alma mater (a 4-year accredited university) for $495!! 

JMO: For such a small amount of price difference, I'd probably opt for the university, if it would have more rigor, credibility, and transferablity. I'd probably pick just one class to reduce overall financial burden but esp. to increase time/energy/focus for DS to excel in the class.

And I would pick whichever subject would best help DS for future college degree program. For example, if planning on a STEM field, and if DS is advanced in the sciences, I'd consider doing the science at the university. That could also help him make connections for future internships and scholarships if he ends up going to that university, and at the least, have a college professor as a possible letter of recommendation for applying for other STEM related programs.

If not sure what future college or degree, then foreign language as the dual enrollment (if you can only swing one course per semester) is the most widely accepted credit, and many degree programs require 4 semesters of a foreign language (regardless of how much high school foreign language the student had).

If DS has become proficient in Italian while you've been overseas, you might consider CLEP-ing the 101 and 102 courses soon after returning to the States, and then dual enroll for the 201 and 202, and he'll have not only 4 years of high school Italian on his transcript, but it will knock out the foreign language requirement that a future college degree will likely require. :)

Sorry for the sticker shock! And, just to prepare you: it's doubly shocking when you see the costs of college texts and required "key codes" (required online access for required homework for classes like foreign language). We only had to pay $265 for a 1-semester 4-credit foreign language course for dual enrollment at our local CC -- and then the text and key code were another $180 -- 2/3 the cost of the tuition! Fortunately the book and key code were used in the second semester (same teacher), so 2 semesters of dual enrollment foreign language ran us right about $700. And that is nothing compared to some of the science texts used at the universities, that often run $200+ for a single text, usable for only one semester ...

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lisa, I believe our current governor brought wanting to make DE free to all high school students in VA. I remember discussion of this earlier this year. I thought "cool", but realized by the time it could happen I won't have a high schooler who will take advantage. It might help you though.

ETA help you with your younger dc.

Yup, we paid (tuition, fees, books) nearly $1000 this fall for a 5 credit class at the cc. It is possible that we may have been eligible for some discount, but on first glance I didn't think so. And the counselor at the college agreed.

Just another line item in a ballooning budget.

Yes, add it all up.  We did one hybrid CC class over the summer in IT, then decided to do online Spanish I this fall because of scheduling issues.  I was a little concerned, but he's acing it.  So I saved gas $$$ on that, and it cost as much as a year would have with one of the online providers who do high school Spanish.  He did AP Latin last year (about $750 for tuition, books, and the test), and wanted to try another language to see if he wants to go into language studies in college.  As it turns out, he's enjoying it, but has ruled out further language studies in college.  So it was well worth paying for 4 credits (about $550 tuition and $160 for book/code) for a year of high school Spanish to give him another foreign language credit and narrow his interests.  So for us, AP versus CC is about the same in cost and benefit.  There's college credit either way.

Another option is Clovis Community College in New Mexico.  One of the recruiters at a 4-year school we were considering mentioned it as being less expensive than the state community colleges.  They have a good number of online classes, and she said that they accepted some of the credits there as valid transfer credits.  I don't know much more than that, but it might be worth looking into.

Another option is Clovis Community College in New Mexico.  One of the recruiters at a 4-year school we were considering mentioned it as being less expensive than the state community colleges.  They have a good number of online classes, and she said that they accepted some of the credits there as valid transfer credits.  I don't know much more than that, but it might be worth looking into.

Tuition and Financial Aid

Affordable tuition starting at $39/credit

for In-district New Mexico residents, $89/credit for out-of-state

There ain't nothin holy about college tuition.

All kinds of terms from the bowels of hell seem more applicable to me. ;)

Yeah, I think it is INSANE that most of the coops around here are priced nearly the same as a CC course and far, far, too many of them don't come anywhere near that quality of teaching.

We get approx 50% off for up to two classes per semester when dual enrolled. And it's still about that much for 2 classes. :/

In WA state a homeschooled child is still able to enroll in state funded DE.  There is no exception of homeschoolers if you use the same ground rules as the PS.  You do not need to even negotiate with the Public School District anymore.  It got taken to court and Washington Homeschool Organization won.  Look into it.  You could get free DE with a bit of paperwork.

IF you have 529 funds AND would qualify for significant financial aid in college:

Scenario 1.  Pay $$ for DE at CC. When applying for financial aid at college time, you will reasonably be expected to use your 529 funds first, which will affect your financial aid.  Ouch.

Scenario 2. Use 529 funds for DE at CC.  Those funds will be reduced or gone at college time, and may open up more financial aid eligibility. You potentially ease up your financial burden and reduce your overall cost.

It won't work for everyone, but it worked for a friend.  I'd encourage anyone considering this to talk to their tax advisor.

I will look into Clovis Community College -- and our CC is probably a better choice than most of the on-line AP courses, IF we can get a reasonable schedule (depending upon the added commuting costs, because the CC isn't exactly down the street). I'm mostly interested in getting DS solid math/science w/lab instruction.  We don't have great  co-ops (unless you are CC or co-op school), and I don't have time/resources to start my own.  We also *cannot* do anything part time with the public school, nor are there any charters (I think we have 3 charter schools in the entire state...I am not kidding), and no "free" (or inexpensive) online public options for anything beyond K-6.  It's just frustrating.  Thank you.

The school we just looked at - a four year university heavy in science - was only slightly more expensive than he same number of credit hours at the good CC. Yes, the crappy cc whose credits aren't worth a dime, is cheaper. But, the good one has gone up significantly in price, and actually some of their classes were larger in terms of student to professor ratio than the four year university. So, not money well spent in the end.

Sorry Lisa! I can't believe you are coming home so soon after just getting settled. Best wishes.