Menu

If you got a $100 gift card... what would you buy

nannyaunt

Ok, so due to blah blah blah, I have a $100 gift card.  I can buy stuff online. :hurray:

Usually, I have to order through the local B&N or Mardels because I don't do credit cards.  Now, I have a 4 will be 5 in two wks. nephew and we have the MP K box curriculum.  Which I love. We also do Education Unboxed with the C-rods and 100 flats.  He is making very slow progress in the reading dept. but nothing I am worried about.  We are stuck on blending but I think the light bulb hasn't gone off yet.  Math and handwriting are fine.  I am looking at things to supplement/complement what we are already doing.  Things that are fun, hands on, or crafty would be good.  We have More than enough workbooks despite what I have listed.  The problem is that I am not a fun, crafty kind of girl.  So, I need help to find those things.

So,  my wish list includes:

the entire 3yr Miquon math set

Montessori sandpaper letters and numbers cursive and manuscript

HWOT wood letter pieces

Life of Fred first 2-4 books

audio books for SOTW

workbooks for SOTW

big foam US puzzle

big foam World puzzle 

So, if you got $100 due to whatever, what would you buy?

If you were me, what would you buy?

I want to buy from Amazon to get the free shipping, but for something really good I could skip Amazon and pay the shipping.

Part of me is very tempted to just buy bubble bath and the Thin Man movies.  I am resisting.  Mostly.

TIA

Shannon

Honestly, you should just sit on it.  If you have amazon prime, sit tight.  Last year around this time (in the month or two leading up to Christmas) they did TONS of amazon daily deals.  They had Knex, all sorts of stuff.  I wouldn't buy curriculum ahead like that (Miquon, LOF, etc.) because things go wrong.  I love my sandpaper letters, which I just bought for my newly 6 yo with dyslexia, etc. who needs multi-sensory, but I have no idea why you'd buy them if writing is going well.

You know what you *could* do that would be stellar is use the $100 to buy a kindle fire.  I got my ds on on ebay for around $130 by watching and bidding.  I think they just came out with new models, so the names may have changed.  Mine is an HDX.  With that I can load up audiobooks and ebooks from the library, stream content, play worthwhile apps, anything.  I love my ipad, but it's AMAZING what that kindle tablet can do for $100 bucks!!  And I'm forever finding more cheap things to put on it.  If you buy a free ebook on amazon, it will often offer you the audio at a reduced price, sometimes even 99 cents!  And THEN you can use the immersion reading feature on the kindle and let it highlight the text as you listen to the audio!!  That ONLY works on the kindle, not on a kindle app on the ipad.  I consider the kindle an AMAZING investment and we use ours HOURS every day.  

Btw, if you get the ebook through the library, it goes through the amazon checkout, meaning to the kindle you *own* it for that checkout period.  That means you get offered the discounted audio.  So then you can use the immersion reading with library e-media to reduce prices.  Awesome, eh?  

PS.  If he already has a kindle, have you thought about playmobil?  They have history-themed sets, so fun.  :)

Btw, don't buy a *ton*, but *1* of the Djeco art kits Timberdoodle sells would be awesome.  Just pick one you'll think he'd like.  For me they've been sort of the idiot-proof, fatigue-proof, sit down and do some art.  This is one we've really enjoyed.  Djeco Finger Tracks Finger Paint  Djeco has TONS of them with all types of media (glitter, clay, paint, you name it).  They're kind of pricy, but, well given his energy level they work out really well.  Everything is there and we can sit down, do something, move on.  And they'll typically have two of each project and like 4 or 5 project pages in the kit, meaning it's a surprising amount.  

Or you could go to DickBlick or whatever and find art projects.  I like Enchanted Learning.  

But when you're saying you want that $100 not to just disappear but to have something that lasts, I'm back to the kindle.  If his fine motor is ok and he enjoys coloring, you might use Hobby Lobby or Michaels coupons and invest in a set of Prismacolor colored pencils.  They'll be a chunk ($20-30 after the 40% coupon!), but for a kid who enjoys coloring they can be very delightful and allow more precision.  

Other ideas that don't disappear?  Field guides specific to your state.  We LOVE having these.  A Brock magiscope.  (That, unfortunately, will blow almost your whole wad.)  You know some field guides, a pair of inexpensive but reasonable quality bird watching binoculars (I've found them for under $15 on amazon), and a gem loupe for looking at things, sort of a science kit...

You know another delightful direction to go is audio memory stuff.  If you're christians, there's tons of scripture memory stuff (Scripture Memory Fellowship, Sing the Word, etc.).  The geography memory audio songs are fun.  I got the wall maps Guest Hollow recommends  http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/geography/geography.html  and we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them, highly recommend!!  We use them constantly now as we read.  They're so bright and colorful, with little symbols kids this age can understand.  You could again have a little theme going, with geography songs, the maps (I got US and world, if only getting one get the world), maybe some GeoPuzzles...

World MAP Kids Geography Educational Poster Art  That's the link for the maps. 

If he likes Babar, consider  Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar  and Babar's Museum of Art  and Babar Soft Toy (13")  Again, it's a theme, hehe.  The two books you can buy very affordably used.  Your library might have them of course.  My ds was just NUTS for Babar at that age and we would read it every morning, over and over, while he held the doll.

Not that you asked, but a totally different direction to go would be a good stapler, a paper cutter, or a laminator.  You'd definitely get great use out of those, and sometimes they're those luxury items you don't treat yourself too.  

If religious, you could also consider making a flannelgraph board and buying the Betty Lukens flannelgraph set.  He's still young enough to enjoy them, and you can get a set of the small figures for *around* that amount, not sure exactly.  My ds still enjoys them, and they're terrific for building narration skills, etc.  :)

Have fun spending!  

Ok, I think what I have Finally decided to do is to add in a little extra and buy the Kids Kindle.  Has anyone used the Amazon Free Time Unlimited? I am most interested in the books that will do the audio while he turns the pages.  It says it also has Brain Pop and Agnitus and I am not really familiar with either.  I am so not good with decisions.

Ok, so here is what I decided.  I got the kindle and while it has been a bit confusing I am very happy so far with my choice.  It has several seasons of most of the PBS kids lineup.  It has a lot of books that will read themselves.  I believe it is called immersion reading.  It also has a large selection of books available, however the kid is not reading independently yet.  It has very mixed reviews and I am not sure why.  So far it has seemed very easy considering it doesn't come with a manual.  I can get the not kid version for $99 and I think I may do that.  Now I just have to figure out how to do the free book with the cheap read along...

Thank you all for all the suggestions.  I suspect I will be getting more of the above for Christmas.

Shannon

I haven't read ahead but for me personally I would buy a solid globe. One that is complete and decorative so I wouldn't mind it being part of our decor but still a learning tool. I am amazed at how often we find something on our world maps and would prefer a globe.