Menu

Anyone switched insurance in the middle of orthodontic treatment?

Kinspired

What was your experience? Did your new insurance cover the ongoing treatment? DH and I are trying to decide between 2 insurance plans, with the only difference being ortho coverage. However, our kids had already started treatment, and the ortho office said to check whether new insurance will cover continuing treatment .

I called the insurance company to ask, and the call person wasn't sure and ultimately told me to have my husband ask HR at his new company. Dh will try to call again, hoping he'll get someone more knowledgable. In the meantime, I thought I'd ask here.

We switched insurance companies but the coverage for both was the same and we had no issues. It's weird the insurance company wasn't able to answer your questions. Mine did with no problems. I would call back and ask to speak to a supervisor and if that doesn't work definitely try HR.

Make sure that your new one doesn't have a waiting period for orthodontic treatment.  Some don't, and some will pick it up right away if it is already under way but not if it is new.  The one we have has a two-year waiting period for new care, no waiting period if you have had at least six months of treatment.

Thankfully we're almost done with that time of life.  Both are in retainers, and one has his last appointment in a few months.  I do plan to switch when we are completely done though because our company has gotten extremely slow on clams, and there is another one with a better network and the same coverage.

We were lucky--our insurance switched just before ds2 started his second round of braces. Our first insurance was maxed out and we weren't going to get anything to cover round 2. But with the switch we saved a bunch because the new insurance paid their max coverage.

I hope it works out for you to get at least the same or better coverage.

I appreciate you all taking the time to reply. Thank you so much. Dh emailed HR, and the response was, "Good question. Let us know what you find out." DH will be calling metlife again on Monday.

Anybody switched to metlife, by chance?

There are different plans from Metlife, but that's what we have.  Very slow this year, but maybe it is just our particular plan under them.  All of our providers (oral surgeon, orthodontist, and dentist) have had problems from what they've related.  Good coverage though, once they pay.  We're still waiting on payment for a crown from March.  Thankfully our dentist was satisfied with me paying half of what they believe that we'll owe, but I hate having bills like that in the wings.