Menu

WISC-IV composite scores...but no subtest scores?

Mrs.Mom

They should provide you data tables of all of the sub-test and composite scores.  I'd give them a call and ask if they could please send you copies of the data tables.  They may, as professionals, think you (a parent) have no need for the sub-tests, but they can be revealing and--since you paid for the test, you have a right to all of the data.  Did they provide you with a full report with interpretation of the results, or is it a minimal report with a diagnosis?  

I know the tests they did...I just didn't get those numbers. I'll give them a call in the morning. I'm not thrilled with this evaluator, to be honest. What a disappointment!

What a frustration. Were you able to get your scores? 

I have found that some evaluators seem to think that giving all the scores is a waste of time. They just give the overview and then the explanations. They don't think parents are capable of evaluating subtests scores anyway.  :cursing:

Hopefully a quick phone call got it resolved. Neither a school nor a private evaluator can withhold that information from you legally, although that doesn't mean they have to offer it to you. 

So frustrating. I finally got ahold of the evaluator today and she said they don't typically send subtest results with the report...except to schools. She asked why I needed them.

I said because I teach him...we homeschool. She said oh yes!!! I will get those out to you. Give me some time to make copies...they are in a different system....

Which means I wont see them for two more weeks, right?

I don't feel this was an accurate evaluation. Wish I could just administer it myself!!

If this evaluation was done through the school district?

Then you can make a formal written request for an IEE (Independent Educational Evaluation).

Where you can choose the Evaluator, and the school district will pay for it.

Also in the Request, you are not legally required to explain why you want an IEE.

Just formally request it.

Which they have to comply with.

But the request needs to be submitted within either 2 weeks or 4 weeks, of recieving the Report.

So frustrating. I finally got ahold of the evaluator today and she said they don't typically send subtest results with the report...except to schools. She asked why I needed them.

Yep. The old "parents are too stupid to be trusted with information" bias. Gotta love it. I'm glad telling her you homeschool was enough to get past it. I'm sorry you are having to wait again.

Honestly, in spite of how difficult it can be to find a competent and helpful tester, we need outside testing. As parents, we see and know a lot, but we also have strong biases that keep us from seeing and knowing some things. I always trust myself above a doctor, but I also make sure to take in their view and process it thoroughly and look for truth that I might have been missing.

If this evaluation was done through the school district?

Then you can make a formal written request for an IEE (Independent Educational Evaluation).

Where you can choose the Evaluator, and the school district will pay for it.

Also in the Request, you are not legally required to explain why you want an IEE.

Just formally request it.

Which they have to comply with.

But the request needs to be submitted within either 2 weeks or 4 weeks, of recieving the Report.

No, I went to a private place to have the testing done, as per our pediatrician's referral.

Honestly, the reason I was testing him was to confirm what I suspected... and I did. Even if it's not accurate; even if it was done somewhat unprofessionally... even if this woman can't seem to add correctly... I at least have confirmed my own suspicions and cleared up some mysteries. :P

Yep. The old "parents are too stupid to be trusted with information" bias. Gotta love it. I'm glad telling her you homeschool was enough to get past it. I'm sorry you are having to wait again.

Honestly, in spite of how difficult it can be to find a competent and helpful tester, we need outside testing. As parents, we see and know a lot, but we also have strong biases that keep us from seeing and knowing some things. I always trust myself above a doctor, but I also make sure to take in their view and process it thoroughly and look for truth that I might have been missing.

Yah, I did have the impression that she thought I was being a pain in the butt about needing them. But you know what? I have a flipping undergrad in elementary ed and a graduate degree in secondary ed. Good grief, lady! (I felt like saying to her!!! But I didn't...) haha

Outside perspective is good, but this woman straight up told me that I was 100% right on in my suspicions... so that was validating in the way that I was on the right track, you know? It helped me realize that I do know my kid and that the gaps in his output ARE real... not hormonal, not lazy, not poor education... genuine issues that he needs some help with. I can modify lessons with some guidance now, and that is good. :)

(In case you're curious, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, ADD up the wazoo, and slow processing speeds). I'm glad we did it. My son needed an answer too. I'm just really curious what the subtest scores are so I can see his strengths and weaknesses. That seems so obvious to me but.... whatever, right? :P

You have a right to those scores!  I always request copies of any testing done on my children--medical tests, psycho-educational tests, etc.  Even if it seems routine, I never know when I might want to look back on exactly what the score was.  If the tester has concerns about your ability to interpret the scores, it is their ethical responsibility to explain those scores to you.  You also have a right to that explanation.  It could be a simple case of laziness going on here.

Yah, to be honest, the whole thing was just screwy. So was that a waste of time? Probably not. We confirmed ADHD and anxiety. That really was what I was going for.

But I know this darn thing is inaccurate. It didn't cost anything - was picked up by insurance. There wasn't an academic evaluation... just the WISC-IV subtests.

This woman was a bit of a tart. I wish I could get my hands on a WISC and just administer it myself. :p I thought the accent thing was strange too but didn't want to come across as prejudiced. It wasn't a judgment ... I just couldn't understand her! And I am from California where there are a great many accents to grow up with!!!!