Menu

I am so mad! (election related)

stephanier.1765

I know everyone won't agree with me but this mailer we received in yesterday's mail makes me so mad! To me it feels like harassment or blackmail. Just because something is public record doesn't mean it needs to be publicly advertised. I've certainly never researched whether or not my neighbors or friends or even family have ever voted. I can't imagine who would!

Next to the bit where you see the years and below are "voted" and "already voted" are the names and addresses of the people living on my street. And I realize they aren't saying how I voted but whether or not I have (and in case anyone is wondering I am the last on that list). But I still feel violated and with my natural oppositional personality now I find myself not wanting to vote at all just "stick it to 'em," if you know what I mean. What I will be doing is finding some way to make this stop. It's just wrong! It's only my business whether I vote or not and no one else's.

ETA the senders of the mailer:

Sponsored by Citizens for a Better Florida, Inc.

7025 August National Drive

Orlando, FL 32822

Florida Realtors are the ones behind this. Here is a list of who they back which is a mix of Republican and Democrat. Too bad, because I would have loved to have a specific party to send my complaints to. At least I know which candidates will hear my displeasure.

Wow, I would be furious. That is a new take on attempts at public shaming. I find it hard to believe it is legal, but probably is. it is certainly unethical:(

Is it done by your city, a political action group, or a certain candidate?

That will make quite a difference in how to proceed.

Oops, I meant to include that. Here they are:

Sponsored by Citizens for a Better Florida, Inc.

7025 August National Drive

Orlando, FL 32822

Yes, I included all their info since they were so free with mine.

I heard about this on talk-radio yesterday. Not sure if the information being shared is correct. Yes, it was referred to as public shaming.

Here's some contact info:

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/committees/ComDetail.asp?account=54530

Thank you. Now I know who called me from Orlando yesterday. Next time I'll be sure to pick up and give them a piece of my mind. In the meantime, I'm going to see what else I can do to make this kind of harassment stop. I am just so mad (not that you can tell).

Completely legal even though it is surely tacky. In my state all you have to do to get this kind of information is go to your local voter registration office, fill out an affidavit that you are not using the info for commercial purposes and pay the fee.

Stefanie

I don't think it would make me angry. But I also don't see what good they are trying to do? It costs a LOT of money to print those mailers. ANd then ship them off. For what purpose? Was it sent only to those who didn't already vote to make people angry and decide not to vote to spite them?  Will having your name on a mailer Really cause someone to vote who wouldn't otherwise? And is the value of that person voting to this organization so great that it will make it "worth it" to have printed all these mailers?

Or did this organization have some money they had to spend on voting related causes and couldn't figure out how to do it so someone came up with this idea and they don't really care about the effects?

My brother and sister-in-law each got one up in Alaska.  Interestingly, it said that they had voted in only 2 of the last 4 elections.  Thing is they both voted in all 4 of the last 4 elections.  So not only is it tacky and emotional blackmail, if it was wrong for them, it was probably wrong for a lot of people.

I have received several notices that I missed voting in an election. And I don't like it! One I can understand but to date it's been 5. That's irritating!

But, but......why? It is just an advertisement. Do you also get mad when you get Wal-mart flyers 5 times a month?

I am asking this question of all of you who are angry about it.....not just picking on fruit of the womb

I'm curious how it would work for some people. For example, the people who OWN our home have moved out of state. I doubt they ever voted in the state of Hawaii. I don't vote in the state of Hawaii, I vote absentee in my home state. How do they track all of that, as far as who lives where?

But, but......why? It is just an advertisement. Do you also get mad when you get Wal-mart flyers 5 times a month?

It's more like getting a notice from Walmart that you haven't purchased tampons in a few months. It feels more invasive than a normal generalized flyer, don't you think?

Me too. It makes me dislike all of them. I voted early today. Afterward I felt like I needed to wash my hands—and not just because I used a community pen and voted on a touchscreen.

I'm seriously tempted not to vote.  I want to put a good show on though.  You know, for my husband and kids.  So maybe I'll get in the car that morning and go get an Egg McMuffin at McDonald's.

I know, I'm terrible, but really I'm so done.  Even the "issues" they go on and on about.  I don't even think about those things.  EVER.  So how would I decide since I have no clue what they will actually do that is relevant to my life?

I'm curious how it would work for some people. For example, the people who OWN our home have moved out of state. I doubt they ever voted in the state of Hawaii. I don't vote in the state of Hawaii, I vote absentee in my home state. How do they track all of that, as far as who lives where?

I have a friend who lives in Alaska. Several years ago, they moved to another state for a year or two, then returned to Alaska. They got one of the shaming letters and it says they didn't vote during one of the years listed. The mailer says nothing at all about the fact that they weren't in Alaska at the time and voted in the state where they lived.

So far I've gotten two letters from the state organization for one of the two major political parties (trying to not make this a blue/red issue).  Neither of them have identified the voting history of my neighbors.  The first one states that they are "disappointed by the inconsistent voting of many of your neighbors," and indicates that I have been "selected to participate in a survey about the voting experience and how to make it better.  We may call you after the November 4th election to ask you about your polling place.  You may want to take notes about your polling place, the type of machine you use, etc."  The second letter that I received today repeats the "disappointed by the inconsistent voting" language of the first letter, then goes on to state "After the election is over, we will be reviewing the X County official voting records to determine whether you supported your neighbors and community in 2014 by voting.  If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why you let your community down by failing to vote."

Early voting started this week in my state, but I prefer to wait until Election Day to vote.  I'm curious to see how many of these letters that I will receive by then, and if the shaming tone will escalate as we get closer to Election Day.

Well, that would influence me to vote against whoever is being supported by that group (unless I already felt strongly one way or the other for substantive reasons).  And I would call the campaign people and tell them that.

I think political ads are pretty much all disgusting.  Usually I just ignore them, but once in a while I get angry enough to tell somebody off.

It's more like getting a notice from Walmart that you haven't purchased tampons in a few months. It feels more invasive than a normal generalized flyer, don't you think?

Or a list of who has and who hasn't purchased condoms.  :p

It stinks, and I would not be surprised if they receive many complaints.

They do track that though...here are some articles about it.

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Oh, I'm sure they do! I mean, if I haven't purchased paper towels at Target in a month or so, then I get a coupon at the register for paper towels. But, sending a reminder to my house would be over the top. Sending a notice about all of my neighbors' buying habits would be downright weird.

Working with candidates right now in Alaska, I can affirm there is a big difference between targeting contact based on the voter rolls and shaming/intimidation based on them. For example, I get more phone surveys and door knocks because I vote in every election, including municipal, than someone on base who has been here two years but not voted in anything local.

I'm not sure what part of the state they're in, but I haven't seen anything inappropriate in the Anchorage municipality. There have been general mailers sent out about the abysmal turnout in off year elections and why it is important for folks to vote if they care about the outcome of various issues locally and nationally (healthcare, marajuana come to mind) but nothing like the one the OP clipped from Florida.

I'm deeply involved in and tolerant to politics and am often the phone caller/door knocker, but that is way too far over the line. Encouraging people to vote because of an issue is different than personally targeting them and finger wagging - which is really gross and inappropriate!

They are in Anchorage :)  My brother said every neighbor listed on their "ad" were listed as voting twice in the last four elections.  He posted a link to this article and said that is pretty much exactly what they got.  http://www.adn.com/article/20141027/alaska-voters-upset-about-public-shaming-mailers-experts-say-they-work?fb_action_ids=969064739775954&fb_action_types=og.comments

I'm seriously tempted not to vote.  I want to put a good show on though.  You know, for my husband and kids.  So maybe I'll get in the car that morning and go get an Egg McMuffin at McDonald's.

I know, I'm terrible, but really I'm so done.  Even the "issues" they go on and on about.  I don't even think about those things.  EVER.  So how would I decide since I have no clue what they will actually do that is relevant to my life?

I can't believe you said that!  I've wanted to do the same thing.  Get in the car and hit Starbucks for a coffee, steal someone's "I voted" sticker and come home.  :)

I won't ever do it.  I always keep driving past Starbucks and vote.  But it is sooooo tempting.

I am asking this question of all of you who are angry about it.....not just picking on fruit of the womb

I'd get mad if Walmart sent me a flyer showing me which of my neighbors was buying organic fruit and encouraging us to eat more healthy. People would be less annoyed a general flyer encouraging everyone to vote but not personalizing it with information specific to the people in your street.

I live in Missouri and my husband got one of those yesterday. He thought it was funny but his voting record is 100%. But so are most of our neighbors listed. A couple got 80% but the fine print said it was based on the last four elections so my husband thinks they (whoever sent the flyer) are morons as well. ;-)

I'm in Florida and was just going to say we didn't get one and lo and behold there is one in the mail for my husband, but not me.  I am registered with one party, he is not registered with any party - I wonder if that makes a difference in who gets them.

ETA:  I am not listed at all on the mailer even though I have voted.

Oh yah, my husband was listed on the mailer but I wasn't even though I'm a registered voter and I vote almost as much as him. I think I skipped once I'm the past several years because I was heavily pregnant and not moving from my spot on the couch for anything. ;-)