Menu

quick fashion advice needed

dirty ethel rackham

Dh is getting a professional award at a banquet tonight and I need some fashion advice.  I found this suit last night, but need to know what to wear with it.  I am usually cold and this is not a heavy weight suit, so I need to wear something under it.  What do I wear under it?  I think I need some color as all black near my face washes me out.  I am planning on boring black pumps unless I find some really cool looking shoes.  I have trouble with earrings - I have some lovely pearl drop earrings that dh gave me for a wedding present, but they hurt after a couple of hours. 

What say you?  (Heading out to Carsons soon.) 

Unless the neckline is too low for your comfort level, I would wear a top with a low neckline that won't show (would a cami be enough or will you need sleeves to be warm enough?) and then a really awesome necklace that doesn't go over the neckline of the jacket (costume, not real). And then simple stud earrings or none.

What a pretty suit! That waist must be incredibly flattering.

Do you have a Loft nearby? This shell is pretty and would bring some color close to your face, and a bright pink would look nice with your coloring in your avatar picture. Teal might be nice, too. I think the neck has to be fairly high if the blouse is going to show while the jacket is buttoned. The neckline of the jacket has a lot going on already (in a good way), so I'd keep anything underneath fairly simple.

For jewelry, maybe play up the silver in the buttons (if they are silver - hard to tell online) with a sleek but substantial silver necklace, cuff bracelet, and earrings?

Dh is getting a professional award at a banquet tonight and I need some fashion advice.  I found this suit last night, but need to know what to wear with it.  I am usually cold and this is not a heavy weight suit, so I need to wear something under it.  What do I wear under it?  I think I need some color as all black near my face washes me out.  I am planning on boring black pumps unless I find some really cool looking shoes.  I have trouble with earrings - I have some lovely pearl drop earrings that dh gave me for a wedding present, but they hurt after a couple of hours. 

What say you?  (Heading out to Carsons soon.) 

A cami of your favorite color would look lovely, or a lightweight blouse. You can do a print as well as a solid.

I wouldn't wear *drop* earrings. A post-type earring would be better with a suit.

And a necklace would be nice. Pearls, single strand, are always classy.

Black pumps would be fine; those of you who know me well know that I will recommend hose rather than bare legs. Your shoes will be more comfortable, and you will look more finished (even if only *some* of the people there will think you look finished, it will be worth it, lol).

Thanks for the advice.  After looking at several stores for a brightly colored shell to wear underneath, I was pretty disappointed.  Most of them either had elaborate necklines, looked cheap, or were too low-cut (for me and for the suit.)  I had resigned myself to wearing a scarf inside my jacket to look like a blouse, when I decided to make one last stop.  At Burlinton Coat Factory, I found a steal of a deal on a Calvin Klein teal shell with light detailing at the neckline (small pleats).  It worked with my pearls and added just what I needed. 

It was a great night for dh.  (Dd, FIL and I just had to do a lot of smiling, nodding, and shaking of hands.)  There were 400 people there.  About 40 people were recognized, but dh was one of only 6 people who was given an award and made a speech.  Dh does not like speaking in public, but he did a decent job.  No literary masterpiece, but recognized the people in his live who have mentored and supported him in his career.  3 people at our table won the bet that the would speak for under 3 minutes.  :laugh: (2 minutes 30 seconds.)