Menu

Geometry Question

Today, we were studying types of lines. Earlier we learned that a line that is neither horizontal or vertical is called an oblique line. Now we are learning about parallel, perpendicular and oblique lines. D10 wants to know why oblique lines side by side (parallel) are no longer oblique. I can't find anything to explain it well at a 5th grade level....or really on any level. Can you have "Parallel Oblique" lines? Can anyone point me to a source that might be able to explain it well?

Oblique lines are lines in the same plane that are neither perpendicular or parallel. So the answer is, by definition, no.

Obliqueness describes a relationship between lines. Using "horizontal" and "vertical" is a little misleading. One line cannot be oblique on its own, so when using the horizontal/vertical definition, the second line is the horizon, and the line is either horizontal (parallel), vertical (perpendicular), or neither horizontal or perpendicular to the horizon (oblique).

Cat

To expand (because I was thinking about this later. Overthinking? :D ), a set of parallel lines can be oblique in relationship with another line (or set of lines). But they will never be oblique in relationship with one another. So a set of parallel lines running at a diagonal to the horizon would be considered oblique in relation to the horizon, and parallel to one another. Maybe that's what your dd was asking?

Cat

To expand (because I was thinking about this later. Overthinking? :D ), a set of parallel lines can be oblique in relationship with another line (or set of lines). But they will never be oblique in relationship with one another. So a set of parallel lines running at a diagonal to the horizon would be considered oblique in relation to the horizon, and parallel to one another. Maybe that's what your dd was asking?

Cat

Cat,

YES!!! That is exactly what she is asking. It has been rather entertaining because I posed the question to my teacher friends on FB and my husband. I have gotten answers both ways.

You can see the dilemma. So if you have an oblique line (not horizontal or vertical) and then another oblique line that is parallel to it, she wants to know if they are parallel oblique lines? I see where she is confused.

I like your answer that it is relationship to another line though. It is weird because you can have parallel horizontal and vertical lines...so I see why she is going that direction. There just isn't anything online that can explain it to her. So exciting to have her thinking this way!!!