Menu

Math Options After Singapore for 7th Grader Next Year

My younger daughter (currently 11) will be finished with the Singapore Math series (US Editions) after this school year. Next year she will be a 7th grader. I'm still undecided as to what textbook series we should go to next. I had originally considered the series by Singapore, but I've read here that they are no longer going to continue this. If this is true, I'll need to come up with a new plan.

She and I have worked through the Singapore series from the very beginning. We generally work through the textbook and workbook with some inclusion of CWP and some sections from some of the Intensive Practice books. She moves through math fairly efficiently. We only sometimes have to sit on a topic a little longer than is set up for in the textbook and workbook series. I'm currently using our Rod and Staff books for some mental math work with her and I want to start some work in geometry with her using Patty Paper and Hands-On Geometry.She tends to like the workbook approach and is still young enough at heart to like the puzzles that were present in the Singapore books.

Here are some of my options and some thoughts...

I have Rod and Staff 8 that I could use with her, but I'm not sure if this is a good fit. Although, perhaps requiring her to adapt to the transfer of work from a textbook to graph paper would be useful for her. (IOW, not a workbook style approach.) She did use R&S 4 for a brief time period but didn't care for it.

I have algebra books such as the Dolciani text and the Jacob text, but I think she needs another year before starting algebra.

I could let her use CWP, assorted books for review of fractions, decimals, percent, integers, etc. and add a great deal of the geometry from above sources and let this be our math for the year.

I could use MEP with her.

I have Basic College Math, but I think the style will not suit her...small print with lots of problems.

I could try AOPS with her, but as much as I'd love to bump her up in math...she is thinking of astronomy/physics as a college major/career choice...I'm very concerned that I don't have what it takes to take her through a series as intense as this. LOL! We could try it, though...

What do you think? I'd love some suggestions and thoughts.

For small print with lots of problems, my kids didn't mind as long as they are not required to copy the problem.

My opinion is to do whichever algebra text you choose, add in geometry that you intend to start, and pair with physical science. You can spread it over two years. I can't see sig. on my phone so can't tell what you are doing for science.

I had a thread on NASA math worksheets. She might like those. My oldest wants to be an astronaut since a toddler :lol:

Thread link

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/465235-space-math-nasa/

I can only comment on MEP, but it is free, and she could probably pretty easily cover Year 7 and 8 in a year or a little more, and then move on to whichever algebra book you like. Likely she would find Year 7 somewhat easy, as my son did, but Year 8 has been more of a challenge (we are halfway through right now).

My dd11 just left MM6 behind (math was becoming torture with page after page of computations) and is loving both AOPS prealgebra and Jousting Armadillos. I figure she's young enough that she can take whatever time she needs with prealgebra, she is just really happy to be working with a more interesting conceptual approach.

It's been a crazy, busy day, so I'll have to come back to this thread tomorrow. But, you all have given me some things to consider. I just looked at Jousting Armadillos and I really liked what I saw. I'll look at all of this more carefully and get back to this thread. :) Thank you.

For small print with lots of problems, my kids didn't mind as long as they are not required to copy the problem.

My opinion is to do whichever algebra text you choose, add in geometry that you intend to start, and pair with physical science. You can spread it over two years. I can't see sig. on my phone so can't tell what you are doing for science.

I had a thread on NASA math worksheets. She might like those. My oldest wants to be an astronaut since a toddler :lol:

Thread link

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/465235-space-math-nasa/

Spreading algebra and the geometry books I had listed, along with physical science, over two years is a good idea. I may do something along these lines.

Thanks for the link to the NASA worksheets. I think she will really like them.

I'm going to consider Jousting Armadillos or the Galore Park books (forgot about these...thank you) to be added to what I have already and the idea of spreading things out over two years. If I don't purchase one of these two books, I will look again at MEP and add this.

Thanks again for the suggestions! It really helps to hear what others have to say about it. :)

Dd12 has been very happy with Jousting Armadillos. My guess is she'll finish it and half of the next book this year, then finish the series in 8th grade. We supplement by doing Khan, focusing on areas that JA is weak in, such as geometry, measurement, probability, etc.

MEP also has a free iPad app, which my dd (mostly) enjoyed using. It's called Mastering Mathematics and has all the content for Y7-Y9.

DD13 is now doing TabletClass Math, and likes it at least as well as any other program I've tried with her. It's almost impossible to find the line between too easy and too hard for her, but TabletClass and MEP both seem to be right about the right challenge level. I still preferred MEP, but the non-US sequence of MEP freaked her out, because she want's to keep her options open for going back to PS in 9th grade.

I wish I had discovered Jousting Armadillos a little sooner. It looks really good, and I may get it for ds11.

My 7th grader is taking a class from myhomeschoolmathclass.com using Lial's Honors Pre-Alg and he really loves her.  She posts here sometimes too.  Jann is pretty good at explaining concepts and she interacts well within webex, and overall he just really loves the class and is feeling more confident in math.  We use the Solutions manual in between and that is a big help but if we/he are truly stuck, she would prefer us to email her than to stay confused or get upset or frustrated with each other.  So, overall it's been an awesome investment.