Menu

Is Rod & Staff English like...

mamamindy

A short lesson followed by something a child can do independently?  On paper or optional workbook?  I am wondering specifically about the level for an 8yo 3rd grader.  Thanks!

Absolutely.

R&S English texts are specifically written such that children can do the lessons independently. You can do the scripted oral classtime that's in the TM, but it is optional (although it does add a nice warm fuzzy time to what could otherwise be a pretty dry lesson.

A short lesson followed by something a child can do independently?  On paper or optional workbook?  I am wondering specifically about the level for an 8yo 3rd grader.  Thanks!

Forgot the other part of your question. :-)

The worksheets are completely optional. If your dc only do those, they will not be getting a complete English course. :-)

If I were using R&S English, my dc would do their assignments on actual paper. IMHO, the written work is age appropriate, or, to put it another way, if my dc weren't quite up to the written work, I would do something else for English skills until they were ready for R&S.

Thanks again.  A follow up question: do I need both teacher manual and student manual if she's going to write on her own paper?

Not sure what writing on her own paper has to do with whether or not you need both textbook and teacher manual...?

She needs the textbook. You might or might not need the teacher manual; it does make correcting assignments much easier.

Have you looked at CLE?  It is completely workbook based and very similar to R&S.

Angela

You know, I haven't looked at CLE...but I have heard it recommended here.  I am not sure if I really want workbook format...but I might. Thank you for mentioning it. :)

Thanks again.  A follow up question: do I need both teacher manual and student manual if she's going to write on her own paper?

The student book is necessary because the teacher manual has the answers right there next to the questions. I find the TM helpful because it has the answers and because it has an oral review before each lesson that helps keep material from previous chapters fresh in the student's mind.