What's with the ads?

#1 Paige

Paige

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2653 posts

Posted Today, 08:40 AM

My DD is taking the end of year test for her math today because it feels like a waste of time. Everything is super easy and I've always told my kids (who struggle) that if it's too easy and nothing is hard, it's not an appropriate level.

I thought about doing it last year with DD but chickened out because I knew she hadn't been exposed to some things in each chapter. We skipped a few pages, but not too much. It was easy. 

As she's doing this test, I'm wondering how much help I could give her for problems she's never seen before. If she can't do it independently, does that mean she doesn't pass and we should go back to those sections? Or is it appropriate to give her a brief explanation and example and then pass her if she can do the rest on her own? She's 7. 

#2 Starr

Starr

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12501 posts

Posted Today, 08:44 AM

I would have her do the test for every chapter. That way you can find the places that need a little work. If you help her at the end it doesn't accurately show if she's ready to move on. 

#3 MinivanMom

MinivanMom

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted Today, 09:16 AM

I would have her do the test for every chapter. That way you can find the places that need a little work. If you help her at the end it doesn't accurately show if she's ready to move on. 

This.

I've also seen classroom teachers use this method when accelerating their advanced math students. If they can get an A on the end-of-chapter test, then they get an A for the entire chapter and are excused from any further work. When they hit a chapter where they get less than 93%, then that's the place where they pause and start instruction. It allows you to accelerate while ensuring that there aren't any gaps or missed material.

#4 kiana

kiana

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4599 posts

Posted Today, 09:51 AM

I agree with this. You can find and fill any holes very quickly this way. 

What's with the ads?