Menu

Scouting/Camping Moms--What can my Webelos (11) make himself?

umsami

So, DS1 (11) is a Webelos II and they're going on a camping trip with the boy scouts.   They're supposed to plan and cook their own meals for a weekend camping trip.  For those of you who've had boys and girls who've cooked for themselves camping for the first time, what recipes/foods would you recommend?

I don't know the equipment they'll have.  I'm assuming a fire….some pots/pans, etc.

I remember doing foil packs as a girl scout, I think we called them hobo dinners?  We also did this thing where we opened up a banana, added marshmallows and M&Ms, and then wrapped it in foil and put in the coals.  

I would do a foil pack with meat that is already fully cooked (ie, meatballs, hot dogs, etc). I think one of the biggest tricks for boys is to cook meat thoroughly at a sometimes too-dark campground.

Oh that's a great idea.  I think ours were potato, carrots, and ground beef….but yah, I doubt the boys would be that good about cooking things thoroughly.  

Whatever he can cook at home, he can probably cook on a camp out.

I had my boys practice cooking at home before they cooked on a camping trip.   They had to write down all the utensils they used for each meal - what an eye-opener for them! 

Ods learned he needed a clean place to put the dutch oven lid while he checked to see if things were cooked.  He ended up with some dirt and bark in his pineapple upside down cake the first time.

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with sausage patties and cheese on english muffins

Lunch - sandwiches - ham and cheese or turkey or pb and j, apples, bananas or carrots.

Dinner - foil packet meals, chili, pizzas,  

This is a very exciting time for him - it is so cool to cook and eat food you've made on a camp-out!

Jen

tortellini stew over the fire (dried tortellini, pre-cut veggies, tomato-based sauce), portable pizza with fixings (cooked in a box oven over coals), hot dogs (reliable and easy), foil pack cooked over hot coals with whatever he wants in it (pre-cooked diced chicken, frozen peas, frozen corn, rice/potatoes), salt and pepper).

So, DS1 (11) is a Webelos II and they're going on a camping trip with the boy scouts.   They're supposed to plan and cook their own meals for a weekend camping trip.  For those of you who've had boys and girls who've cooked for themselves camping for the first time, what recipes/foods would you recommend?

When ds was a Webelos, I bought two books, Cooking on a Stick and Cooking in a Can, from our local scout shop. I like the stick book best. It covers foil cooking too. There are cute illustrations and cute names for the food. For example, dough wrapped around a stick I'd 'Snail on a Stick.' Using books is so much easier than googling sometimes. The stick book is $3.99 on Kindle.

Foil is so easy. One of my favorites is sliced apples, a bit of lemon juice if you are doing this ahead, then some raisins, nuts and maple syrup.

Put Sara Lee pound cake slices in foil with canned pineapple plus some juice, and you have upside down cake.

If they have access to a frying pan, they can make pancakes from the mix that only requires water. Premeasure the mix, bag it, and label the bag with how much water is needed. Make the bag big enough so that batter can be mixed in the bag by squashing it around. Add some strips of the kind of bacon that foes not have to be refrigerated.

Cub scouts here often cook an egg inside a hollowed out orange half. It's ghastly, IMO, but the seem to enjoy the process.

I am presuming your scouts will be allowed a campfire. If they are cooking with stoves, things are trickier, and the recipes will be different.

So he is taking his own food and each boy is bringing his own food?  That seems very inefficient.

Is there a large cooler for him to keep his own meat or will he need to bring his own cooler too?

Typically our boys will either make something very easy (dump a can of chili in a pot) or make hot dogs.  Occasionally they will make pasta over the fire but I wouldn't recommend that for his age, dumping the water can be hard to do.

Breakfast is typically precooked bacon and eggs or pancakes.

Lunch is pre-make and carry on a hike type stuff (sandwiches, trail mix, granola bars, etc...)

Agreeing with Dawn.  Seems odd.

Never said he was taking his own food for just himself. Sorry if this was misunderstood. He and his other Webelos guys need to plan their own food and meals.  I'm assuming they'll be cooking it together.  As they are all basically clueless, I'm looking for ideas here.

When ds was a Webelos, I bought two books, Cooking on a Stick and Cooking in a Can, from our local scout shop. I like the stick book best. It covers foil cooking too. There are cute illustrations and cute names for the food. For example, dough wrapped around a stick I'd 'Snail on a Stick.' Using books is so much easier than googling sometimes. The stick book is $3.99 on Kindle.

Foil is so easy. One of my favorites is sliced apples, a bit of lemon juice if you are doing this ahead, then some raisins, nuts and maple syrup.

Put Sara Lee pound cake slices in foil with canned pineapple plus some juice, and you have upside down cake.

If they have access to a frying pan, they can make pancakes from the mix that only requires water. Premeasure the mix, bag it, and label the bag with how much water is needed. Make the bag big enough so that batter can be mixed in the bag by squashing it around. Add some strips of the kind of bacon that foes not have to be refrigerated.

Cub scouts here often cook an egg inside a hollowed out orange half. It's ghastly, IMO, but the seem to enjoy the process.

I am presuming your scouts will be allowed a campfire. If they are cooking with stoves, things are trickier, and the recipes will be different.

Thanks for the book recommendations and ideas. I'll see if our Scout shop carries the cooking on a stick book. :)

Wanted to share a story about boys planning, lessons learned.

In ds's first year of scouts, each patrol planned its own meals. One patrol had barbecued shrimp, salad, rice, and peach cobbler cooked in a Dutch oven. My son's patrol decided on a menu of chips, just chips, probably sounded good when they were planning and not hungry, lol. All the patrols cooked and ate at the same campfire. Thank goodness the boys with the better food were willing to share!

Never said he was taking his own food for just himself. Sorry if this was misunderstood. He and his other Webelos guys need to plan their own food and meals. I'm assuming they'll be cooking it together. As they are all basically clueless, I'm looking for ideas here.

Thanks for the book recommendations and ideas. I'll see if our Scout shop carries the cooking on a stick book. :)

Good luck! One thing I like about a book is that boys can look for recipes independently. A lot of parents are uncomfortable having kids Google stuff by themselves, and most scout publications suggest some caution.

Adding that it is good your son is cooking now. If he goes on to Boy Scouts, he will need to cook more, not just for campouts, but because BSA recently added Cooking as a required merit badge for Eagle.

Our go to menu for easy

eggs in a bag (one ds eats poptarts :blushing:  because he doesn't eat eggs),fruit

lunch is usually hot dogs, chips, apple or sandwich, chips,apple

dinner is hobo dinner (cooked spanish rice, cooked chicken strips and corn), s'mores

It's not exactly cooking, and the patrols actually cook food but this is a stop gap one boy menu.