Menu

Baby name

Elisabet1

Long ago, I started liking William. We never used it. My husband did not care for it, but I wanted something with that feel. Later, as in 6 or so years ago, I started liking Liam. Again, my grumpy husband did not like it. My husband named our 5 yr old and I named our 3 yr old. All is great. We have an even number of children. Baby naming done, split evenly, life can go on.

Now we are having another, to our shock. And it is yet another boy, which means, we have named a lot of boys so far. We had tons of girl names, but had pretty much used all out boy names.

Just got a text this morning that my cousin just had a baby and named him William. Great for her! I am happy and that is a great name. My husband has picked James for a name. But while I like the name James, I just cannot see calling a child James. All our children have 2 syllable names and James is one syllable and for me, it just goes not flow. I always loved Luke, but we are not using that one.

I still really like Liam. Friends of ours who loved Liam but could use it ended up using Beckett. I love the name Beckett, but I find myself feeling like it is a sporty name and my husband and I are anything but sporty. I also like Benjamin. Only problem with the B names is that we definitely plan Matthew for the middle...so..that would make his initials BM.

No need to suggest new names. If it is close enough to these..chances are, either we or a close cousin have used it. Names I liked but have been taken... William, Andrew, Alexander, Nicholas, Edward, etc.....

We also considered Rowan but have a Ryan and worry that is too close too. We definitely prefer 2 syllable names. And my husband has rejected names like Caleb, Gabriel, and Noah. I also liked Callum and a few other Irish names. These are just some names that started on the list and went away. So really, it is Benjamin, Beckett, and Liam.

I am not sure what else to say. I cannot find my original baby name list to see if I missed anything. Thanks!

Is Beckett sporty because it sounds a bit like Beckham?  I find Nameberry helpful because if you put in a name you like, it gives you suggestions of other names people who liked that name also like.  It is often pretty accurate for me.  Sometimes I get all three of my kids names suggested to me at once.

Ok so William is off the table so you can let that one go.

What about Matthew James?  That has a much better roll off the tongue than James Matthew to me.

Beckett does have a sports feel, but also the last name that the female lead in the TV show Castle goes by.  It is one of those 'last names for first names" that has been trendy for the past 15 years or so.  Maybe that is the sports feel?  Since I think this trend started by coaches calling kids by their last names? 

I wouldn't worry about BM since you will also have a last name initial in there too.  I think people put too much emphasis on this anyways.  Unless someone's full initials actually spell a word or has a horrible association  like A S S or K K K, I wouldn't think twice about it.  I work in an industry where we use initials a hundred times a day to initial things and aside from someone noticing and commenting on an unusual combination, I have never seen anyone make a bid deal of it.

Rowan and Ryan are definitely too close. Don't do it!  My sister, brother and I all have similar names and it is a pain.  Just don't!

Liam Matthew and Callum Matthew work fine in my mind, but it would depend on your last name as well.  

I think out of those I personally prefer Benjamin. For some reason Liam feels like 1) a nickname to me, even though I know people use it as a complete name, and 2) really close to William, which might be weird due to cousin William. 

But how does your husband feel about those three options? Is he completely set on James, or is he open to Liam, Benjamin, or Beckett? If he's okay with one of those I'd probably just go for that one. 

Ok so William is off the table so you can let that one go.

What about Matthew James?  That has a much better roll off the tongue than James Matthew to me.

Beckett does have a sports feel, but also the last name that the female lead in the TV show Castle goes by.  It is one of those 'last names for first names" that has been trendy for the past 15 years or so.  Maybe that is the sports feel?  Since I think this trend started by coaches calling kids by their last names? 

I wouldn't worry about BM since you will also have a last name initial in there too.  I think people put too much emphasis on this anyways.  Unless someone's full initials actually spell a word or has a horrible association  like A S S or K K K, I wouldn't think twice about it.  I work in an industry where we use initials a hundred times a day to initial things and aside from someone noticing and commenting on an unusual combination, I have never seen anyone make a bid deal of it.

Rowan and Ryan are definitely too close. Don't do it!  My sister, brother and I all have similar names and it is a pain.  Just don't!

Liam Matthew and Callum Matthew work fine in my mind, but it would depend on your last name as well.  

We had two sons die and already put one of the names in the middle of our older son. So Matthew is the name of our other child that died. So we are putting it in the middle in honor of the one that died. So that is unmovable.

I think out of those I personally prefer Benjamin. For some reason Liam feels like 1) a nickname to me, even though I know people use it as a complete name, and 2) really close to William, which might be weird due to cousin William. 

But how does your husband feel about those three options? Is he completely set on James, or is he open to Liam, Benjamin, or Beckett? If he's okay with one of those I'd probably just go for that one. 

My husband wants Finn. Yeah..not on the list at all. I used to like Finn, but I wanted Finnegan or Finley. Then Finley got popular here for girls so I said Finnegan. He just wants Finn. No way. Not my style. Like it on other people's children, just not mine.

He is ok with Rowan. But he also named Riley and Ryan. We have had trouble from the IRS and insurance over that one. So if we used Rowan, we would have Riley, Ryan, and Rowan. But Riley is an adult now.

Oh. and after watching Frozen for the millionth time, he did suggest Olaf. My eyes kind of glossed over at that point. I think I said "that's interesting!"

My husband wants Finn. Yeah..not on the list at all. I used to like Finn, but I wanted Finnegan or Finley. Then Finley got popular here for girls so I said Finnegan. He just wants Finn. No way. Not my style. Like it on other people's children, just not mine.

He is ok with Rowan. But he also named Riley and Ryan. We have had trouble from the IRS and insurance over that one. So if we used Rowan, we would have Riley, Ryan, and Rowan. But Riley is an adult now.

If you go with Rowan, people will think it's a "R" theme. Is that something you're interested in?

I would agree with you about Finn. Good nickname. . .but I don't really feel like it passes the "lawyer" test as a first name. 

My hubby is British and we are NEVER going to agree on a name for our son-to-be. Some of what he likes sounds like your hubby's likes:)

Of course, if my dd has her way we will name him something from Greek Mythology. She cried the other day because I vetoed HephaestusðŸ˜"but WHY mom, he was kind and crafty!"

All I could think about was kids calling him 'festering Hephaestus!'

Of your choices, I think Benjamin is nice. A couple of possibilities for nicknames as well, and goes well with James.

The William I know has two brothers, Henry and Colin. I think Henry has the same "feel". I love the name Thomas and used it for a MN. Michael? Patrick? Edward?

I loved Henry and it has been on the list. My husband is adamant against that one though. In fact, every time I mention it, he calls the name On- ree.

Of course, if my dd has her way we will name him something from Greek Mythology. She cried the other day because I vetoed HephaestusðŸ˜"but WHY mom, he was kind and crafty!"

All I could think about was kids calling him 'festering Hephaestus!'

This is awesome and I have to share a similar story.

When my mother's first two siblings were born, she was allowed to name the babes and picked two nice Biblical names. When the third one was born, she was very insistent that the next one be named Jesus and very upset when her parents vetoed her choice.

If you named this one James, you could call him Jimmy or Jaimie if you're intent on a two-syllable name. Obviously that'd be a nickname, not a name, but it's a bit of a moot point.Or, if you wanted, you could call him by his middle name, so instead of being James M. Lastname he'd be J. Matthew Lastname. But it might get a little uncomfortable, as he's named in memory of his brother. Otherwise, I'd go with Benjamin. How often is he going to be called by his initials? That's just borrowing trouble there. I wouldn't worry about it at all, I'm sure it'll be an absolute non-issue. (I guess you could always give him two middle names to minimize the effect. Benjamin Something Matthew Lastname. No idea what would be the Something. Benjamin Andrew Matthew? Benjamin William Matthew? Benjamin James Matthew? I know several people with multiple middles, doesn't seem to affect them much.)

With that said, I headed over to the Baby Name Wizard, filled out a list according to what your specifications seem to be, and got the weirdest responses. I hesitate to list them at all!  You can click if you want a quick laugh, I don't think any of them (Adolph? Ansel? ELMER?) are what you're looking for :) even if you wanted new names.

Nymbler gave me a more usable list of results, including Owen and Oliver. Really, I used this post as an excuse to play around with those sites.

IMO, Liam does not make me think of William. Those names remind me nothing of one another.

Well, Liam isn't a name originally, it's a nickname. William. It, uh, works better if you pronounce William with three syllables, as some people do.

I like the nickname Jimmy from James for a little boy. One of the nicest men I've met was named Jimmy. So there's that. Or Jamie, as another poster suggested. James Matthew is very nice and flows, and Jimmy is adorable.

I guess I'm taking your husband's side in this one!

I don't mean to stir the pot but...

You made a point to say you found out your cousin had a baby named William through a text? Does that mean you are not close? I am not close with my cousins and would not let the names of my cousins' children dictate what I name my children.

My younger brother was born and my parents named him Christopher. A year later, my aunt and uncle adopted a one year old... named Christopher. Now, our families were not local to each other, but we were close family wise. It was not at all a big deal that they were had the same name (and were also the same age!).

I guess this is all to say that if you and DH really like William or Liam, I wouldn't let your cousin stop you. You could always ask also.

Congratulations on your new little one!! I'm sure you and DH will pick out the perfect name - sooner rather than later I hope!

James Matthew is a lovely name. 

James is a variation of Jacob.   How do you feel about Jacob Matthew? 

I prefer either of those to Benjamin, Beckett, or Liam/William with your chosen middle name.

I think Benjamin Matthew flows well, but the BM initials would bother me.  

Beckett Matthew does not have the same flow, plus I prefer traditional names to trendy ones.

The m’s at the end of Liam/William and the beginning of Matthew slur together.   Perhaps people in your region enunciate clearly, but in my area, the name would become Liam Atthew.

If you like Rowan, but about Owen?  Owen Matthew?

My sister's dog is Owen and we already have an Andrew (child, not dog). Unfortunately, there are as many close dogs here as kids! Of course, I am the main procreator in this family. And if anyone says anything about my family size this year, I am just going to say "I am just trying to keep up with the dogs!"

Here are the dog names of just my parents and my sibs. Oh..and ALL the dogs come for Christmas! The boy dogs are Owen, Oliver, and George. There are several girl dogs with great names too, like Abigail. But we are not having a girl so we are good there.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Matthew is written in stone in the middle as it is a namesake. First name is the only one up for picking. 

It is true that the cousin is not so close that I would not just not use the name over the cousin. But,  this is my first cousin and I am very close to my grandma so it would be odd or difficult for her I would think. My grandma is coming in to the airport in less than two hours today! And since we have so many other names, might as well pick something different.

I like Jamie too. I know it is not two syllables, but once long ago, I fell in love with the (nick)name Jim due to its being fixed on an adorable 3yo with olive skin, rosy cheeks, big brown eyes, and very long eyelashes. So sweet on that little boy, appropriate for an adult. So, yeah, I like James Matthew.

I don't mean to stir the pot but...

You made a point to say you found out your cousin had a baby named William through a text? Does that mean you are not close? I am not close with my cousins and would not let the names of my cousins' children dictate what I name my children.

My younger brother was born and my parents named him Christopher. A year later, my aunt and uncle adopted a one year old... named Christopher. Now, our families were not local to each other, but we were close family wise. It was not at all a big deal that they were had the same name (and were also the same age!).

I guess this is all to say that if you and DH really like William or Liam, I wouldn't let your cousin stop you. You could always ask also.

Congratulations on your new little one!! I'm sure you and DH will pick out the perfect name - sooner rather than later I hope!

Meh, we check with cousins. Adopting a child with a name is a whole different ballgame. The child has a name, that's all they have, don't take that away from them. Or at least, you'd never expect that of someone. Naming two cousins the same name in the same year or two is different. There's a choice there.

And also--I tend to text the family I'm closest to, rather than call. Texting is informal and friendly. An official call or e-mail means that you don't know what kind of phone plan they have. :D

One reason I decided I was done having kids is because we couldn't come up with a boy name that we liked. 

Matthew was on our short list, though.

Thomas? 

Aiden?

Philip?
Stephen?

The dogs in your family lucked out with great names :) I sympathize - my DD6 has a name that's cute for girls and even MORE so for dogs. We probably know two dozen dogs named Lucy...

I wouldn't have a problem with the first and middle intials being BM.  Most people think of initials as being the first and last initial.  Unless of course your last name begins with an M.  I love that your are honoring your other son's name by adding it as a middle name for your new son.  What about Nathan Matthew?  Nathan has two syllables.  Or if you want to continue with the R's, how about Robert?

My husband has picked James for a name. But while I like the name James, I just cannot see calling a child James. All our children have 2 syllable names and James is one syllable and for me, it just goes not flow.

How about Hamish?  It's the Scots equivalent of James and it has two syllables.

L

I love the name Hamish but it seems Americans all pronounce it as if it were an adjective used to attribute the quality of being like pig meat (even though the "i" should bring out the long a--people just can't read). That said Hamish is an AWESOME name and I've known two very cool men by that name, and every name has its detractors--even James. ;)

I love the name Hamish but it seems Americans all pronounce it as if it were an adjective used to attribute the quality of being like pig meat (even though the "i" should bring out the long a--people just can't read). That said Hamish is an AWESOME name and I've known two very cool men by that name, and every name has its detractors--even James. ;)

That's a shame.  As you know, it should be HAY-mish.

L

L

I don't think "Hamlet" helps with this pronunciation problem. . .

L

Yes... above poster made a good point that Hamlet does not help, and I doubt pointing out to people that "there are two consonants between the vowels, so the "a" remains short in Hamlet, but if you read Hamish carefully, all six letters of it, you will see..."

Yes... above poster made a good point that Hamlet does not help, and I doubt pointing out to people that "there are two consonants between the vowels, so the "a" remains short in Hamlet, but if you read Hamish carefully, all six letters of it, you will see..."

It's just a known pronunciation here - I didn't know that it wasn't in the US.  Just like Sean is Shawn and Siobhan is Shuh-VAWN.  There are others that are less well known: I didn't know until I moved to Scotland that Mhairi is VAH-ree.

L