Menu

Curriculum hopping, or good move? I think BJU math has changed

Started out using Singapore Math 4A with 5th grader. I did a placement exam and that seemed to be where he fit. Through the first half, he went quickly, all was fine and great. But then suddenly, he did not know what he was doing. Instead of backing up, I switched to BJU Math 5. 

BJU math seems different than it was when I used it before, Now I realize, it is 3rd edition, not 2nd edition. I would have used 2nd edition before.  It is hard to describe the differences, but it is definitely different. It doesn't feel like it is bad, it feels different than what I wanted. I always felt like Singapore math was direct and to the point and worked a lot of calculations. But BJU math now, seems to have tons of problems per page, all the same as each other. It gets boring and redundant. And it feels like it introduces a new topic. Has tons of problems on that one topic, and then moves on to the next. So it is not as incremental in its introduction. I do not want an incremental program, so that is not what I am saying.

I still think it is a good program. But son wants to go back to Singapore Math. IF I let him go back, he will need to back up a level or two to get what he missed. 

Does this just sound like a grass is greener on the other side, or that perhaps BJU Math is not a good fit? Maybe I need to have him only do half the problems on any give lesson instead of the entire thing?

I love BJU, but you are right about Math 5.  It really is dull and tedious.  We have accelerated the pace, and are skipping a lot because it is simply not necessary.  

This is the first level that we have encountered that doesn't have a Reviews work-text, but I haven't found a lack of review.  Are you using the daily review sheets, chapter reviews, cumulative reviews (all in the work-text), and the fact reviews (online)?  

I love BJU, but you are right about Math 5.  It really is dull and tedious.  We have accelerated the pace, and are skipping a lot because it is simply not necessary.  

This is the first level that we have encountered that doesn't have a Reviews work-text, but I haven't found a lack of review.  Are you using the daily review sheets, chapter reviews, cumulative reviews (all in the work-text), and the fact reviews (online)?  

Do they have a fact reviews online? I have been using the one from MUS. Does BJU have their own?