Menu

Another carpal tunnel thread

creekland

For those of you who have had the surgery or know those who have, what's the IRL recovery time for different things?  I was told about 2 weeks of needing someone else to do (some) things for you due to not being able to use your wrist, but that fingers can be used that night.

What about school stuff?  What can be done (or not)?

Suffice it to say that I was HIGHLY encouraged to get it done as the doctor's office definitely believes it's an issue and at the level mine has tested at, they insist it won't get better by itself and could do permanent damage if left too long.  It doesn't matter that it isn't and has never been painful.  It does get numb and they say the EMG test was quite conclusive.

I'm not arguing that there's nerve damage (test results are test results), but I still wonder if there could be another cause and the surgery will be pointless.  However, I don't have anything to go on from there (or suggestions or whatever), so... I guess surgery is something I need to think about.

The decision is put off another 4 weeks... and in the meantime I get the "fun" of PT 3x per week for 6 weeks for the radial nerve issue that is bugging me.  Hopefully that will do something... besides mess up the schedule of daily life.  It'll be worth it if it works.  But it's not expected to have any bearing on the carpal deal (they think they are separate issues).

My cousin is a chef. Her doctor recommended large doses of B vitamin supplements prior to going the surgery route. She didn't end up needing surgery.

If I were you, I'd especially try to avoid it because it might create pain where none exists right now!

Any chance you know what level hers was at?  I was told some more minor cases will resolve themselves or can via PT, but moderate won't.  Steroid shots can happen 3 times per year, but that's not really a fix at this level - again - it can work (permanently) at a lesser level.

I'll admit to being confused about this one.  It doesn't hurt and other symptoms are those I've lived with for years (literally) without them seeming to get worse.  But... I'd rather not have permanent damage either.  There really weren't any other suggestions mentioned.  I just decided to press dealing with the other issues that do bother me and put this decision on hold to think about it a bit.

Part of that "thought" includes gleaning from the Hive's experiences from those willing to share, esp on recovery time if I go ahead with it.  That will be important in scheduling with school (my job), etc.

B vitamins were tested and aren't an issue or even close to it.  The only borderline blood test was sodium - on the borderline low - and I use/eat (what I think) is a bit of salt, so that's strange, but I doubt it's connected.

Total cholesterol is a little high and something called MCHC came back slightly high, but those don't seem to be connected.  Some inflammation deals came back high too, but in the expected range for what's going on (so I was told).

All the rest are normal.

While they say you *can* use your fingers right after surgery I wonder if you will want to. It's been many a year since I worked ortho but I recall having to encourage finger motion post op. In my case I rested my wrist (went on vacation) for a couple of weeks. At the advice of another ortho I worked with I took extra vitamin B, although I can't remember which one, and had such improvement surgery was not needed. I did have trouble post pregnancy and was given a steroid injection. One wrist is weaker than the other but I manage fine. I guess you need to personally evaluate your symptoms and the doctors advice. There is no easy surgery. 

I would like to know as well since I am faceing surgery soon. I wasn't given any other option because the pain and numbness is so bad. Mine is in my wrist and elbow so they want to do both at the same time. I am very nervous especially with 5 young children.

Did you just have the nerve test done? What about an MRI? I had both and am waiting to go in and hear how the MRI looked.

I would like to know as well since I am faceing surgery soon. I wasn't given any other option because the pain and numbness is so bad. Mine is in my wrist and elbow so they want to do both at the same time. I am very nervous especially with 5 young children.

Did you just have the nerve test done? What about an MRI? I had both and am waiting to go in and hear how the MRI looked.

Sharing what I've been hearing IRL, folks with pain (or significant inability to grasp things) have said it's absolutely worth it.  Without pain, they question why it's been suggested.  It's not a huge test sample at this point though.

Both arms at one time or both issues in one arm at the same time?  I've heard not to do both arms at the same time due to needing assistance doing things (think bathroom especially).

I had an MRI as well.  That's going to be what the PT is addressing (neck issues leading to radial nerve issues of sorts).  The Dr. just doesn't think it's related to the carpal tunnel.  She thinks they are separate and stacking on top of each other.

Both issues in one arm, but it is my dominate arm. Also, they only did an MRI on my hand, so maybe it won't show as much?

It makes sense to have both done at once then, and with pain, those I've talked with have said it's very worth it. 

I've no idea what a hand MRI looks for to be honest... the medical field is not my forte... which is why I try to glean from what others have experienced (matching my sig of avoiding mistakes!).

As a follow up... it was worth it to check with physical therapists.  The answer is a resounding NO to the surgery in this case as carpal tunnel is NOT the issue I'm dealing with even though the median nerve is affected.

Beyond that the first PT had no idea.

The second, however, has probably solved the puzzle - a weird (to me) deal called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.  I'm told (and google seems to confirm) that it fits all of what's been going on - including the median nerve damage.  PT will continue in hopes of fixing it.  Ideally I wouldn't mind knowing what's causing it too - but maybe later.

I'm glad I didn't just sign up for the surgery as it was being kinda heavily pushed.  Saying no took effort and made me feel like "non-medical person me" was overriding someone far more knowledgeable.   Instinct (coupled with google and some IRL talking with BTDT folks) was worth following in this case.

Recently my dh had surgery for the other hand/wrist. His recovery time was 6 weeks because he has to use his hands to do his job. The previous time, years ago, same thing. It bothered him for another 3 weeks after recovery time, but now it has been about 4 months and he is fine. But of course, he's unemployed for now anyway so his hands are getting a vacation.

They discussed having him on light duty but that doesn't exist in his field. The doctor said NO WAY on doing anything with his hands, just do the exercises and come back in 4 weeks, doctor removed permanently the cast-like thing. Then another 2 weeks still off work. It was swollen for the 6 weeks after the first 6 six weeks too.

Highly recommend B6 and B complex, doctor advised it as well.

I'm familiar with TOS :)

I'm a massage therapist and have had 2 clients with this exact issue- both fairly severe (one had pain that woke him up at night, plus numbness etc, the other had classic numbness/tingling/weakness and more intermittent pain).  In both cases they found relief with massage and stretching, as well as chiropractic care.  The one case mostly resolved after 4 weeks of issue focused massage/muscle work. 

True TOS is compression/impingement of the nerve- in 1 of 3 places  (scalene/neck muscles, 1st rib/clavicle or pectoralis muscle)....usually by tight musculature but also sometimes if there is subluxation in a  joint (you'll need a chiro). But, you can also have trigger points in muscles that refer pain and mimic TOS exactly.

My advice...find a good massage therapist.  Your PT should be able to recommend- or you can sometimes find a good massage therapist at chiropractic offices.   

Maybe this article can help?  http://www.amtamassage.org/articles/3/MTJ/detail/1666 

Good luck!

It makes sense to have both done at once then, and with pain, those I've talked with have said it's very worth it. 

I've no idea what a hand MRI looks for to be honest... the medical field is not my forte... which is why I try to glean from what others have experienced (matching my sig of avoiding mistakes!).

I'm familiar with TOS :)

I'm a massage therapist and have had 2 clients with this exact issue- both fairly severe (one had pain that woke him up at night, plus numbness etc, the other had classic numbness/tingling/weakness and more intermittent pain).  In both cases they found relief with massage and stretching, as well as chiropractic care.  The one case mostly resolved after 4 weeks of issue focused massage/muscle work. 

True TOS is compression/impingement of the nerve- in 1 of 3 places  (scalene/neck muscles, 1st rib/clavicle or pectoralis muscle)....usually by tight musculature but also sometimes if there is subluxation in a  joint (you'll need a chiro). But, you can also have trigger points in muscles that refer pain and mimic TOS exactly.

My advice...find a good massage therapist.  Your PT should be able to recommend- or you can sometimes find a good massage therapist at chiropractic offices.   

Maybe this article can help?  http://www.amtamassage.org/articles/3/MTJ/detail/1666

Good luck!

That's a great article.  If I had understood medicalese when the two PTs were talking among each other, I probably would know more about which, specifically, I have. The words used in the article all sound kind of familiar, but at this point, I'll just trust that they know.

This part is exactly what was happening:

"TOS may be misdiagnosed in clients by physicians and other qualified health care professionals. Mistakenly, clients are often told that they have a pathologic condition of a cervical disc or carpal tunnel syndrome because these conditions also cause nerve impingement with sensory/motor symptoms in the upper extremity. Given the possibly serious recourse to surgery for these other conditions, accurate assessment of TOS in our clients is of paramount importance."

I'm glad it's figured out now - esp compared to an unneeded surgery.

The PT session costs are covered by our healthshare.  I'm not positive massage therapy would be, so I'm planning on giving PT a shot to see if it works.

At some point in time - esp if it's not getting much better - I also kind of want to have them look and see if they can see what's causing it.  I suspect that's just me being a little too concerned due to already having a brain tumor and wondering if there's another tumor there to be honest.  It's not exactly like I was sedentary or had repetitive motion of sorts, and I'm not pregnant, etc, so the cause is still in the fog for me at the moment.  I'm resisting acting like an overly/needlessly worried person, but it definitely remains on my mind.  If it's not getting better in a few weeks, I will probably push that issue if it's not brought up by them.  Time will tell.