Menu

just fed up

I am just over it. I don't want to spend the next 10 plus years either fighting teachers or feeling guilty that my kids' needs aren't being met. I just don't need the stress on top of constantly juggling money. Unless win a bunch of money I think we are stuck with it. But I feel mean after schooling too.

I know the feeling.  If you are afterschooling to remediate, I think you will be glad later, because it will get easier (or at least it has for us).  We still afterschool (and they have more homework now), but it's a lot less intense than it was a year or two ago.

Also, as they get older, they can speak for themselves and need our advocacy less.  Which is nice.

I would add that I too have changed my expectations of the school meeting my kids' individual needs beyond a few very minor accommodations.  I don't let it bother me much any more because it isn't worth the mental energy.  It does get to me when they attack my kid just for being who she is, but I think I'm going to have to get used to that as well.

Thanks. I am not remediating just trying to provide some level of challenge except writing with ds7 which is a problem. I was cross yesterday because the school insists my highly gifted son do another year in year one because he was born a month after their arbitary (not legally mandated cut off). I don't think he should despite the fact he is underachieving because I think it will make his perfectionist tendencies worse in the long run.

I feel a bit better today now the sun is shining. He

has more even achievement than his brother and finds composition easier so him being on the old side might make advocating for him easier later. I don't think it will hurt him next year as it is the year after I was concerned about as children going in to year 2 with high levels of achievement seem to be kept in a holding pattern while the others catch up. I am assured no child is kept back but it doesn't look that way.

That is a tough one.  I have had a lot of pressure in the past over my kids being young, and there have been moments when I've thought it would be easier if I'd made different choices.  I had a rather unique situation though.

Good luck!

Would it be possible to begin teaching your son how to work independently of you? A couple years ago, fellow homeschooling family had a major accident and Dad died.  Mom had to return to work in order to support them.  The kids were ages 10 and 13, but they had never been really worked with in how to be independent.  The kids spent a year or two in school and then were able to work at home while she was at work.

Since then I began working with my son on this very thing.  Following instructions, formalizing all the various tasks into a more streamlined approach, figuring out how to make lists of questions which we can answer later together, time management...on and on. 

At just recently ten, he can now work for a good 6 hours by himself if he needs to.  If something happened, and I could no longer be home full time with him, then it is possible to make homeschooling work.  It would mean that you could either work from home or have a fairly substantial part time job. I do not know if that is reasonable at all for you guys, but trying to shift to more independent work might only make it 2 or three years rather than 10 or more....

Sorry you are so frustrated.

I don't think it will be a problem until year 2 so I.have a year. Also next year I might have surgery so we may end up out of town for part of the year. He could work for independantly than his older brother but at 5 it will be 9 years before he can be left home alone and 7 years until he could be left with his brother. It is stupid but it is what it is. It is not the most annoying part of the system so I might focus on the thing that annoys me most. I will have a stronger case if he needs a skip later if he is one of the oldest. I was just angry because I heard every one of the stupid statements - we challenge all kids, we don't hold kids back, we have kids in y2 doing y3 work , gifted equals achievement, too young for intermediate, consider maturity/reaction to frustration etc. I will send them an email stating that their decision goes against what I think.he needs. I will state that I will assume ds7s experience being advanced in year 2 was an aberration but I will be watching very closely. Then I will try and work out how to.campaign for transparent schooling.