Menu

So...when you hang out at the library A LOT, you save A LOT of money...

So, my new town has a cute downtown area and a HUGE library (partly funded by an international business of epic proportions). My kids swim team is next to the park and the library (which also has its own gorgeous park with gently rolling hills, statues of The WInd and the Willows characters and huge shade trees.)  I know...homeschool heaven.

So, as you would expect, while one kid is swimming, the other kid and I go to the library 3x per week, and sometimes when the second kid is swimming, the other kid wants to go as well, meaning I spend upwards of 4 hours a week in this nice library sometimes.  

I am saving tons of money.  My new hobby is library books.  I am getting books to supplement my daughter's "What Your 5th Grader Needs to KNow" and we are having so much fun.  I get 10 books on the topic and then she narrows it down to one we can read together.  It's like Sonlight, for free...only we made it up.

Today I got a Grammar Songs CD that is perfect to go alongside our BJU Grammar.

The kids are finding new book series that they like as well as old favorites and Ambleside Classics.

MAGAZINES!  Our library now allows you to check out magazines for a month!  We used to subscribe to  Muse and we wanted Cricket but could not afford it.  Now, we don't need to.  We take stacks and stacks home.  

Cookbooks...a bunch of times, I put cookbooks on my amazon list now and then realized, "Wait a minute! the library has cookbooks." and I found the exact ones I wanted.

I mean, the more I use it and the more I sit around at the library the more I wonder, "What was I paying for anyway....?"  Even for my 7th grader, we are using the library to get all the Ambleside selections such as Longfellow, Shakespeare's sonnets and more. ...

Now, my library is huge and well stocked but I have a feeling that I also was not using my other libraries to their full potential.  If any of you are broke, please please use your library, just spend more time there.  You can be so encouraged at the great stuff you can find and do for free. 

Oh, we also find out more about classes now too.  Sewing classes, book clubs, etc.  So far none have worked but we are keeping our eyes open.

I've always been besotted with the library. Never, ever understood people who would buy novels, read them, then give them away. Why?

I get such a warm and fuzzy feeling at the library. It's basically free toys for everyone. I get hours and hours and hours of entertainment for FREE! It's amazing. It's like a dream or winning the lottery every week. I adore libraries. I'm suspicious of people who don't.

I absolutely love our library but rarely go in anymore. They have an online reservation system and a drive thru for returns and reservation pickups, so I fill our reading time without even entering most weeks. I get fiction, nonfiction, Spanish language books, magazines, and the occasional audiotape.

I've always been besotted with the library. Never, ever understood people who would buy novels, read them, then give them away. Why?

I get such a warm and fuzzy feeling at the library. It's basically free toys for everyone. I get hours and hours and hours of entertainment for FREE! It's amazing. It's like a dream or winning the lottery every week. I adore libraries. I'm suspicious of people who don't.

Yes !  This ! I hear you!  So well said...

I absolutely love our library but rarely go in anymore. They have an online reservation system and a drive thru for returns and reservation pickups, so I fill our reading time without even entering most weeks. I get fiction, nonfiction, Spanish language books, magazines, and the occasional audiotape.

But there's nothing like just hanging out, browsing, discovering new things, hearing the librarian recommend things...

The library's wifi is also strong enough to do Khan Academy there. I had found Jacob's geometry, Stewart's Calculus and AoPS books there besides almost all the PS textbooks.

We stay from opening time to closing time (10am to 9pm) when we go since we pack meals to eat at the library's courtyard.

My boys like the free knitting lessons at the library.

I am jealous.  I hate going to our library because of the parking.  It's not really all that bad, but I hate having to park in a parking garage and walk with a pile of books.

The library's wifi is also strong enough to do Khan Academy there. I had found Jacob's geometry, Stewart's Calculus and AoPS books there besides almost all the PS textbooks.

We stay from opening time to closing time (10am to 9pm) when we go since we pack meals to eat at the library's courtyard.

My boys like the free knitting lessons at the library.

wow, now that's some serious library time!

AND I never thought of checking for textbooks there! duh.

The new Rick Riordan book was released October 7. I had put a hold on it when I saw it was coming out. It arrived at our library from another library in the system and we picked it up last Thursday (our library is only open 3 days a week and the book requests arrive Thursdays). So, 16 days after the publisher released it, DS had it in his hot little hands. He got to crack the spine on the hardcover, and I didn't have to spend $20 on a book that was read by Saturday. I, too, love our library system.

But there's nothing like just hanging out, browsing, discovering new things, hearing the librarian recommend things...

... and making friends with the librarians :)  Some of them have known my kids since they were toddlers, and if I come in with only one kid they'll ask "Where's the other one?" :)  

I like the idea that, despite living in an increasingly disconnected virtual world, it's a pocket of community for my kids.  Real books, real people. :)

I'm so jealous!  When we lived in RI, we had access to a fantastic library and, if our library didn't have what I was looking for, any of the other libraries in RI probably did and it could easily be sent my way.  For that matter, if I really wanted it right away, I could just drive to whatever library had it.  It was RI after all...45 minutes from end to end (mostly).

Then we moved to NY.  I love it here in NY.  But we live in this teeny tiny town and we have this teeny tiny library and the ENTIRE library is smaller than the children's section at my old library.  To make matters worse, there is not a central state-wide library system.  There are several regional ones.  So now, I have three different library cards for three different systems, plus my children's library cards for our closest library system.  

I miss our old library.  

... and making friends with the librarians :)  Some of them have known my kids since they were toddlers, and if I come in with only one kid they'll ask "Where's the other one?" :)

They've known my DD (in a way) since before she was born, because our library has a notary who signed pre-adoption paperwork, and they celebrated with me when she joined our family. (I'd known them already for years because I've done book club talks for my novels.) She's been going to the children's programs since she was 5 months old, knows the librarians by their first names, last month when we entered and I began to look for books she told me, "Hold on, I need to go find my friends," and ran to the checkout desk. :)

So, my new town has a cute downtown area and a HUGE library (partly funded by an international business of epic proportions). My kids swim team is next to the park and the library (which also has its own gorgeous park with gently rolling hills, statues of The WInd and the Willows characters and huge shade trees.)  I know...homeschool heaven.

Now, my library is huge and well stocked but I have a feeling that I also was not using my other libraries to their full potential.  If any of you are broke, please please use your library, just spend more time there.  You can be so encouraged at the great stuff you can find and do for free. 

Oh, we also find out more about classes now too.  Sewing classes, book clubs, etc.  So far none have worked but we are keeping our eyes open.

Jealous! This does, indeed, sound like a wonderful gem!

I miss our old library.  

:iagree:  We moved from Illinois - where our taxes paid for an awesome library system. It wasn't unusual for dh & I (pre-kids) to pick up 10+ books each, each week, most inter-library loan.

Now, small town, no library linking. Classes are few and far between. I'm taking one of mine to preschool reading time this morning, but it only runs once per week for five weeks in the fall & spring. There is a very small selection of books - and if you see that the book is in the online catalog but can't find it on the shelves, the Library Director gets mad at you when you point it out because somehow it is your fault the book is lost? If you want to borrow a book from another library system, chances are you can buy it on Amazon used cheaper (with shipping) than what they will charge you to borrow it through them. We're there multiple times per week, so we definitely know what they have. If you want VC Andrews, the Babysitter's Club, or the most recent romance novel - they have it. If you want good classic reading, textbooks, GC lectures, or anything useful - don't bother. They don't have them.

So, my new town has a cute downtown area and a HUGE library (partly funded by an international business of epic proportions). My kids swim team is next to the park and the library (which also has its own gorgeous park with gently rolling hills, statues of The WInd and the Willows characters and huge shade trees.) I know...homeschool heaven.

So, as you would expect, while one kid is swimming, the other kid and I go to the library 3x per week, and sometimes when the second kid is swimming, the other kid wants to go as well, meaning I spend upwards of 4 hours a week in this nice library sometimes.

I am saving tons of money. My new hobby is library books. I am getting books to supplement my daughter's "What Your 5th Grader Needs to KNow" and we are having so much fun. I get 10 books on the topic and then she narrows it down to one we can read together. It's like Sonlight, for free...only we made it up.

Today I got a Grammar Songs CD that is perfect to go alongside our BJU Grammar.

The kids are finding new book series that they like as well as old favorites and Ambleside Classics.

MAGAZINES! Our library now allows you to check out magazines for a month! We used to subscribe to Muse and we wanted Cricket but could not afford it. Now, we don't need to. We take stacks and stacks home.

Cookbooks...a bunch of times, I put cookbooks on my amazon list now and then realized, "Wait a minute! the library has cookbooks." and I found the exact ones I wanted.

I mean, the more I use it and the more I sit around at the library the more I wonder, "What was I paying for anyway....?" Even for my 7th grader, we are using the library to get all the Ambleside selections such as Longfellow, Shakespeare's sonnets and more. ...

Now, my library is huge and well stocked but I have a feeling that I also was not using my other libraries to their full potential. If any of you are broke, please please use your library, just spend more time there. You can be so encouraged at the great stuff you can find and do for free.

Oh, we also find out more about classes now too. Sewing classes, book clubs, etc. So far none have worked but we are keeping our eyes open.

Love it sounds fantastic.

What you said about finding great books on each topic is wonderful. There are so many wonderful books that are out of print, not just older classics but also books that were staples of homeschool catalogs just 10 years ago. But many are still at libraries.

You might see if your branch has a friends of the library group. We worked with ours a lot on book sales. Kids loved to help with the set up. Each had their section that they would organize. And since most of the friends group were senior citizens, it was nice to have some strong teens to help lug boxes.

Public library is one of the things I'm most impressed with in the U.S. From our local library, I can check out up to 50 books & CDs per account for 3 weeks and renew them up to 10 times. And I can also borrow up to 6 kindle e-books per account for 2 weeks. The interlibrary loan and hold system is awesome. I've been saving a fortune on books since I came to America last year.  :001_smile:  

Jealous! This does, indeed, sound like a wonderful gem!

:iagree: We moved from Illinois - where our taxes paid for an awesome library system. It wasn't unusual for dh & I (pre-kids) to pick up 10+ books each, each week, most inter-library loan.

Now, small town, no library linking. Classes are few and far between. I'm taking one of mine to preschool reading time this morning, but it only runs once per week for five weeks in the fall & spring. There is a very small selection of books - and if you see that the book is in the online catalog but can't find it on the shelves, the Library Director gets mad at you when you point it out because somehow it is your fault the book is lost? If you want to borrow a book from another library system, chances are you can buy it on Amazon used cheaper (with shipping) than what they will charge you to borrow it through them. We're there multiple times per week, so we definitely know what they have. If you want VC Andrews, the Babysitter's Club, or the most recent romance novel - they have it. If you want good classic reading, textbooks, GC lectures, or anything useful - don't bother. They don't have them.

Unfortunately libraries respond to the demand stream of their patrons.

When I see that there is a library survey being done, everyone in our family fills it out. We have different book interests but none are fluff and none are to have more computer games.

I've also found how to request titles be purchased. And we've worked with the friends of the library group on book sales. The library branch had first shot at any donated books. So we were able to improve the collection and replace books that were getting worn out.

I've also been in small libraries where I made a point of checking out books I liked just so they circulated. And I'd talk to the librarians about the books we liked. Took me a year to get one library staff to warm up.

:iagree:

Yes, this!  The library is my little happy place.  I also love Chapters.  I browse for hours, make a list of books I like, and then reserve them at the library! 

This is true. More people come to our local library to use the computers than to check out books. We haven't had a library survey in the 11+ years we've been here. We are frequently the only ones to check out "classics." DD#1 has checked out at least four books so far this school year that haven't been checked out since 2005 or earlier. There's a Friends of the Library book sale going on right now -- mostly Clive Cussler & VC Andrews left after the first week, although I did see two James Herriot books. We've picked up some books that the current director has rotated out in favor of the New Stuff. There is only so much room in our small building. We request books sometimes, mostly Young Adult stuff to complete the series they already have. I make sure if we request it that there will be others, mostly homeschooled kids, who will check the books out. 

Our library has a small building, a small budget, and most people in town use it only for the computers. We're the anomaly.

Our library is small, and the selection is terrible, we go at least once a week. Here is a few funny? Things: there are no international geography books in the entire county system. Last week my son pointed out a book the librarian couldn't find on the shelf, in order to check out BOOKS you have to give your children permission, but they can use the unsecured computers all they want. My 8 year old has to have my permission every time to check out books from the yA section but not from the adult section. You can only renew once even if the book isn't reserved, or hasn't been checked out in years. The crazy librarian would prefer that my toddler run around the entire library rather then sit calmly on the desk while we check out. She told me to use. Stroller so next time I did, I made a point of showing her is was buckled tightly, she said see no problem, three seconds later dd was running through the library again. I was also informed once that children shouldn't come to the library, because they ruined the books! I used to love libraries, I miss a good library. We will soon be driving 90 minutes each way to use the big city library, as DS has finished the nonfiction in the children's section, and most of the YA too.

Our public library has Life of Fred and SOTW. We get to keep books for three weeks and can renew them twice unless somebody else has reserved them. We have Zip books, which is sort of like having an Amazon Prime account and never getting a bill except that you get to keep the books at the library instead of having to buy shelves and dust them every few years.

It also has Wifi, for those of you who think I must be developing dementia when I say "All you need is a library card and love."  full stop close quotation marks. ;)

I do not share a PP's negative feelings towards people who do not use libraries, however, as I have seen some interactions based on perceived socioeconomic status that would have made me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome and also too many cases of books being returned but not properly checked off of the patron's records and huge fines being incorrectly charged.

Our library has DVDs and CDs, but we do not check them out because of the difficulty in checking them back in again and because it just isn't worth losing the use of our library cards, even if it is just for a few weeks or months to straighten out a computer error or a mistake in reshelving.

Are there any internet lending libraries that are free?  For kindle, that is?  

I know I can sign up for Amazon Prime and get, what, ONE book a month...but that's...paltry.  

I have library cards at several library systems.  Each of them has ebooks that can be borrowed and read on the Kindle. 

I have the Overdrive app installed on my Kindle.  I can pick the library and then search by title, author, keyword or just browse through categories.  I also have the app on my iPod Touch and use it to listen to audio books.

I often search through all of the libraries that I have cards for, just to find books related to the subject I'm studying.  For example I'll look through history and biography to see what is available for the Renaissance era. 

I think that it is also possible to do the browsing on the library website and do the actual book check out on the computer (through Amazon) vice going throught the app on the Kindle, but I haven't done this yet.

Yeah I think you are right.  Where I lived previously the library was very focused on kids.  They offered a lot of programs.  They often got lots of new kid's books regularly.  Now my local library seems geared towards senior citizens.  Nothing wrong with that, but that still leaves plenty of people out.  I keep meaning to join the Friend's of the Library to get more kids stuff at the library. 

Problem here (it's a problem if you are homeschooler) is schools have their own libraries and all kid activities are centered around the schools.  So there are almost no library programs for kids and no park's department programs for kids.  There just wouldn't be enough kids around to join them since they are getting everything through the schools.  And they don't allow homeschoolers to participate.  It's a bit of a bummer.  I've had to go outside the district to find stuff for my kids.  And it's of course the expensive stuff. 

We JUST walked in the door from the library.  The kids were saying how awesome our library is and I remarked that it's amazing how few people we know make use of it.  It really has so many options and we all look forward to our weekly trips. :)

I love, love, love the library. I have such warm memories of going to the library after school with my dad growing up. The library system is lovely here but it's become almost impossible to go with the kids unless DH can watch the toddler at home. He is in the "throw all the books off the shelves and then maybe tear and lick them stage". I've been reserving them and then just running in to pick them up. 

I would save a lot of money, if I didn't keep forgetting things, then spending money on those darn fines...(sigh)

I love libraries, too - I love the smell and feel of all those books...One of my favorite childhood memories is summer trips to the library.  I would come home with as many books as I could carry, then read, read, read in the only air-conditioned room in the house.  For me, that was a perfect day :) 

I got a library fine years ago from losing a book and I kept getting fines so for a long time I avoided the library. I would buy used books and we got lots of books as gifts. I had tons of books in my house for the kids. I thought that was fine. A year ago I started going to the library again and I totally regret not going sooner. We have access to way more books from the library. Now with ILL I can get almost anything and I can get books that are hard to find used. There is no way I could even come close to afford the amount of books we go through now at the library.

I just go on a weekly basis now and keep track of everything online. I renew things online when need be and no more fines. I just needed a routine.

I love this thread :) We also go to the library weekly, same day of the week so it prompts me to check my account online, renew books, avoid fees.... It's rare for us to go home with less than 30 books, a few videos the kids pick for their screen time that week. The librarians know the kids by name, miss them if one stays home. The small kids area is filled with toys as well as books and comfy seats for the parents, so I can sit and do work or read (free wifi) while the 3yo plays and 7yo reads magazines we don't get at home. During the summer and occasionally throughout the year, they arrange cool programs like magic shows that the kids can come to for free, and and I feel no guilt about cool assemblies I remember from my schooled childhood that my kids are missing out on ;) (Seriously some of those assemblies were the only things I remember enjoying about school!) The weekly story time for tots isn't my favorite for a few reasons, so we don't go, but I love that they offer it anyway. And yeah, great ILL system, we request so many books for fun and learning...

One time in FL, our kids were about 8 and 6, and they wanted to know where the books went after they went through the automatic check-in machine.  The librarian got up, right then and there, left the counter with the 2 other clerks, and took them in the back for a tour!  It was so sweet.  She also waived fines for me once, because times were very hard and I just didn't have the money several weeks in a row.  :o)

I wonder if the dynamics are slightly different at smaller libraries and when the librarians sort of know you?

We've had to ask about books we returned that got lost in the shuffle before - the librarians found them and apologized. There's a form you fill out if they can't and you still want to dispute the fine. When I've thought a few books might be lost (found them later, whew), the librarian told me I could just buy an inexpensive version to replace it v. paying them to buy the expensive library version.

I wonder if the dynamics are slightly different at smaller libraries and when the librarians sort of know you?

We've had to ask about books we returned that got lost in the shuffle before - the librarians found them and apologized. There's a form you fill out if they can't and you still want to dispute the fine. When I've thought a few books might be lost (found them later, whew), the librarian told me I could just buy an inexpensive version to replace it v. paying them to buy the expensive library version.

Every library system I've ever been a member of has always had some kind of Canned Food drive where you could bring in a can of food for every dollar owed, or however it worked.

Generally, I'm pretty good about bringing my books back on time, or renewing them online before they expire.  But I've had my fair share of fines, lol.

I do love the library though...like others have said...it is so nostalgic.  I can remember riding my bike to our town's little library, chaining it up, going inside and checking out a backpack full of books...riding home and just reading reading reading.

True story...when I was a little girl, I packed a bag to "run away" with.  In addition to a change of clothes (both a winter set and a summer set...I was practical, afterall), and a hockey stick (for protection), I also packed a bunch of library books for reading...lol!!!  

lol! So how did you meet your husband?

He trained me my first day working- at the library?  I was 16 and he was 18.  After 4yrs of being friends and dating other people, we started dating and let's just say the rest is history and three kids later. :)  My brother (who now works at the same library I and DH did back in the day) just got married to his now wife that he met at a library function.  She was her BFF's (who also worked at the library) "date" to a meet the author function, and my brother and her hit it off.  And I know a few other couples that met at the library, and have since married.  

We use our library a lot for movies.  I sometimes wonder if they wonder why we get more movies than books...but it's because I already have a library at home (we do get books sometimes). But we never go to the movies, so we get them at the library. You get them for an entire week for free (just don't be late in returning them).  It's handy to use the library website to renew the videos, if no one has requested them.  We use interlibrary loan a lot for movies too.  In the summer our library has a reading program where they give out coupons for personal pizzas...1 each week all summer.  We have a pretty small library....we all know each other by name. I'd really like to work there part time...it would be perfect..JB could hang out there and read. But, I've asked several times and so far they don't need any extra help. :sad:

Here's my library weird thing - dh has been looking for work in various places in the country.  When he has a new lead, the first thing I check out is what is the library like in that town.  I will judge a town by it's library.  So, the latest possible work location has housing in two different locations that could be a small commute to work.  The town that has a lousy small library is a place that I won't consider living because we are library lovers and are tired of our current small town library.  I have done homeschool work with two of my kids there and there is one desk that we can work at.  Yes- one.  So, we are looking at the other place to live based solely on the size of the library.  How warped is that?  

Beth