Menu

Reading level test

I was wondering if anyone can recommend some sort of test for reading levels (free or inexpensive) that I could have my kids (grades 4 and 7) do at home? I do not need official scores etc., it would be just for my own information. We live overseas and English instruction in school doesn't start until 5th grade and then of course they just start to learn vocabulary etc. So I have no idea how the boys would be doing compared to kids in school in the US/UK etc. I think they are doing okay but maybe I am missing something? It would be great to have some semi-objective test to see whether there is anything that needs to be worked on.

Thanks so much. I took a quick look at the suggested websites and I think the boys are pretty much doing okay. Younger is a bit ahead, older pretty much on grade level. I am wondering though whether I should supplement a bit as far as vocabulary is concerned. As most of their schooling is in German they do not get much exposure to higher level English vocabulary, especially in subject areas (some words on the assessment lists would most likely show up in science texts etc.). I am not sure whether just reading for pleasure will be sufficient. Does anyone have a recommendation for an easy (i.e. not too expensive or time-consuming) way to improve vocabulary for upper middle school/high school?

I take it you're native English speakers at home and it's just school that's immersed in German language instruction? I haven't taught kids at that level, so besides thinking that your kids will have a leg up when it comes to words with Germanic roots, my first thought was Wordly Wise 3000. I think it's one that SWB recommends. There's a good deal on homeschoolbuyersco-op.org for access to their online program, and on looking it up, I noticed that Wordly Wise also has a free app with a word list and "flashcard" functionality that you might find useful. Hope that helps!

I take it you're native English speakers at home and it's just school that's immersed in German language instruction? I haven't taught kids at that level, so besides thinking that your kids will have a leg up when it comes to words with Germanic roots, my first thought was Wordly Wise 3000. I think it's one that SWB recommends. There's a good deal on homeschoolbuyersco-op.org for access to their online program, and on looking it up, I noticed that Wordly Wise also has a free app with a word list and "flashcard" functionality that you might find useful. Hope that helps!

Thanks, I think that is pretty much what I was looking for (unless someone knows anything similar with more of a game character?).

You can take a book that they are reading fluently and look it up on scholastic.com/bookwizard.

You can cross-check that result with some of these kinds of tests: http://a2zhomeschooling.com/all_time_favorites/reading_level_assessment/

I look on scholastic to cross-check what my child's school tells me. Usually she's reading a level ahead of what she can read fluently and really comprehend at the level they consider sufficient for that level. I.e. if she can read 6th grade books aloud and retell the plot, she could probably read 5th grade books aloud, retell the plot, and answer challenging critical thinking questions about those books.

I look on scholastic to cross-check what my child's school tells me. Usually she's reading a level ahead of what she can read fluently and really comprehend at the level they consider sufficient for that level. I.e. if she can read 6th grade books aloud and retell the plot, she could probably read 5th grade books aloud, retell the plot, and answer challenging critical thinking questions about those books.

I think my kids are doing okay with understanding plot etc. (though I don't generally ask them a lot of questions) of the books they do read. My concern is more that they really read English purely for pleasure (i.e. they do not read it at school) and of course spend only about 50% of their reading time with English books. So obviously they have less exposure and I am not sure how likely they are to encounter more obscure words/vocabulary. My 4th grader enjoys books like Hardy Boys, Harry Potter etc. My 7th grader really likes the Rick Riordan books at the moment. But I do not really see them reading "difficult" literature in the near future of their own accord.  

I wouldn't worry about them reading for pleasure. Personally, I think that's best! I'm just saying if you want to get an idea of where they would test, theoretically speaking.

Thinking it over a bit more I realized that I don't quite understand what the grade level equivalent (e.g. on the scholastic website) really measures: Is it mostly vocabulary or does it also depend on content? I just started reading aloud Jules Vernes' 80 days around the world and was kind of surprised that level was only 8.5. Of course the content isn't difficult but I do think the vocabulary is quite advanced/outdated. I consider myself a very good reader but if vocabulary is the only/main determination for reading level I am not sure whether I would be able to understand a book in level 12.9...