Menu

"vacation" vs. "field trip"

Okay, I live in a state that requires me to count school days (but has no minimum, and, anyway, we have plenty of days).

Normally, we have a field trip every Tuesday, but we also have at least phonics and math before we leave. I count it as a school day.

I had planned to count all of last week as a fall break, but now I think I want to count the day at Kennedy Space Center as a school day.

My question is... where's the line? Do I count the day we went to Animal Kingdom as well? I mean, we saw wild animals, but IDK if DS actually learned anything new.

And then what about Epcot? I'm leaning toward no, though we did go into Spaceship Earth (where he recognized the Egyptian king!)... but a lot of it was aimless wandering around the countries and being hot and mopey. If I were to count that, I might just as well count the Magic Kingdom, where we rode the Carousel of Progress, etc.

If I were teaching in public/private school, my decision would be based on whether we met any of the objectives in the required course of study, but that doesn't apply here.

What have you done?

Counting "days" is an extremely poor way to quantify what goes on in a homeschooling household.  Especially for a first grader.  It tells you virtually nothing about the student's academic experience.  But some states require it nonetheless.  It's routine paperwork.  So don't obsess.  Make a decision and move on.  

In most states, even if you keep a calendar of school days, no one is ever going to ask for details, unless serious questions are raised about your homeschooling program, which is very, very unlikely.  And even then your count of "days" is not going to be of much use; it's what your student has actually done that is relevant.

So should you count it?  Well, for me, context matters.  So for me, yes, those days are rich with experiences of all kinds for a first grader, and thus would absolutely be school days, no question about it.  And, for me, for a typical academically-oriented high schooler with no special issues, I think it would be a stretch at best. But you get to decide what you feel the most comfortable with; it's your school!

I'd probably count them for a 1st grader, provided I made an effort to make it a learning experience.

It's an interesting question, though, from the perspective of a mom with kids in b&m school.  When I was homeschooling KG, I counted field trips with educational value.  In 1st grade, when the school took them to the zoo and similar, those counted.  However, when I take my kids out of school to do something I consider educational - or if I do stuff on their school holidays - that does not count.  I am tempted to list all the great educational stuff we've done just to achieve an absence on our school record, but I'll spare you.  ;)

Yes it's vacation, and yes they learn many things. I would not agonize over this. If you looked at all the things you do year round for education you will have plenty of hours. Pick the ones to fill in the calendar and move on. It will be fine. Save your fretting days till they are older. haha

When we were homeschooling some of the places I counted as field trips were Gettysburg, Williamsburg, the Wright Brothers Memorial and a day spent doing a tram tour through the Everglades. And of course any trips to zoos, science centers and museums.

If you have plenty of days I don't think it matters, though.  If you count Epcot and Animal Kingdom they're really "extras."

I count everything, although if I lived in a state that required me count days, I'd check off 180 and call it good, even if we did Official School Stuff more than that, which we probably would. Counting school days is a silly requirement, and I treat it that way, lol.

It depends on the kid's age and knowledge base.

When we visited my mother out west, I did not count the trip to the airport and airplane ride as a school day. But, if the kids had been in first grade, I might have. In first grade they're still learning about the community (post office, grocery store, etc), so I would consider the airport as part of that.

But in 4th and 7th, I didn't count the trip to the airport as a school day, especially since they've been to the airport before (though they hadn't been on an airplane before). However, I did count the trips to the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and three Native Indian pueblo sites as school days. We got 5 school days in on our 2 week vacation by visiting those sites.

You'll have to decide for yourself if your child is learning something new and of value educationally, or if the trip is just pure fun. Is it meat and potatoes? Or is it a pixie stix? I don't count the pixie stix.

I never fully understand why people parse all this out. If I had to count days, I'd either just count them all and 180 days in and we're done whatever day that is. Or I'd just make it all up randomly or put down that we followed the school calendar or something. Whatever was easiest. I wouldn't actually track it. What use is that? Do they have any method of checking?

Counting "days" is an extremely poor way to quantify what goes on in a homeschooling household.  Especially for a first grader.  It tells you virtually nothing about the student's academic experience.  But some states require it nonetheless.  It's routine paperwork.  So don't obsess.  Make a decision and move on.  

In most states, even if you keep a calendar of school days, no one is ever going to ask for details, unless serious questions are raised about your homeschooling program, which is very, very unlikely.  And even then your count of "days" is not going to be of much use; it's what your student has actually done that is relevant.

So should you count it?  Well, for me, context matters.  So for me, yes, those days are rich with experiences of all kinds for a first grader, and thus would absolutely be school days, no question about it.  And, for me, for a typical academically-oriented high schooler with no special issues, I think it would be a stretch at best. But you get to decide what you feel the most comfortable with; it's your school!

:iagree: I agree with Justasque, a simple day-count doesn't quantify learning, it only tracks what the parent considers days "on" or "off." IMO, it's a rather meaningless and random bit of information that the state wants on your paperwork, nothing more or less. And no minimum? What's the point?

That requirement would drive me nuts! If we had to track days here, I would decide early on not to sweat it, but to see it for what it is. Otherwise, I'd be continually over-thinking it, and not enjoying the things we do to do, not do for school. I'd have to train myself to not always be thinking, "Do I count that? Do I count this? Did we learn anything?" Grrr...

It's funny, too, because I was thinking the same thing as Justasque in another way. For a 1st grader, sure, a day almost anywhere could count as a learning day. A day at the beach, at the park, at the museum, or with the grandparents would "count" as something important for a six year old.

For a high school student, those activities might still be important for life, but not necessarily for school. A day at the beach or the zoo might count for academics, but that would depend on what happened there, KWIM?

I never fully understand why people parse all this out. If I had to count days, I'd either just count them all and 180 days in and we're done whatever day that is. Or I'd just make it all up randomly or put down that we followed the school calendar or something. Whatever was easiest. I wouldn't actually track it. What use is that? Do they have any method of checking?

It is one of the more idiotic requirements. ::rolls eyes::

No, they don't really have any way of checking, although there is at least one state that requires a certain number of school days and a log of some kind that supports your assertion that you actually did school on the days you said you did. Pennsylvania? I don't remember.

I was always glad that I lived in California, because we didn't have to keep track of that stuff (although many homeschool leaders were adamant that hsers were supposed to have a certain number of school days, and that had opinions on what constituted a school day, even though the law says NOTHING about that). 

Animal Kingdom is the one with real animals and a safari? (It's been a decade since we were there.). Observing real animals? I'd count that as a school day. Kennedy Space Center? I'd count that as well.

I live in PA, and we always log more than the required 180 days. As other people have said, it's a stupid way of evaluating our homeschool program. However, I personally have decided that, for reporting purposes, I will only count something where I can point to an activity that meets one of the academic subjects that is required. So I probably wouldn't count a trip to Hersheypark, unless they did the math/physics lessons that go with it, or unless I was really stretching for PE and wanted to count all the walking, but I would definitely count a trip to ZooAmerica (the zoo next door to Hersheypark) or a visit to the Hershey Museum (since we have to cover PA history). It's not that I don't think things like Hersheypark have value, because I feel that every day their eyes are open has learning value, but I feel like if the school district ever questions my program, I want to give them one less thing to quibble about.

It is one of the more idiotic requirements. ::rolls eyes::

No, they don't really have any way of checking, although there is at least one state that requires a certain number of school days and a log of some kind that supports your assertion that you actually did school on the days you said you did. Pennsylvania? I don't remember.

I was always glad that I lived in California, because we didn't have to keep track of that stuff (although many homeschool leaders were adamant that hsers were supposed to have a certain number of school days, and that had opinions on what constituted a school day, even though the law says NOTHING about that). 

Pennsylvania requires 180 days and a "contemporaneous log" of educational activities and materials.  I am not sure of the exact wording from the law except the part in quotes.   I log our days with a very broad definition of "school" and keep a checklist of subjects.  Every day at my house includes literature and bible/theology at a minimum, but there is rarely a day that includes only that.  I don't log materials daily but the kids log their reading and I keep a list of everything else.

A day at the zoo could include science, history, PE at a minimum.  There are probably other subjects to toss in there too.

Oh, a school day here is 5 hours for elementary and 5.5 for secondary, or 900/990 hours per year.  Very few people track their hours instead of days, but I have run into a few.  They are usually very stressed out. 

At the end of the year I turn in my attendance chart (boxes with check marks) and my list of materials used as part of the portfolio.  Not the daily checklist though I've been told to keep it around in case there is a problem with my portfolio; in 7 years there never has been, even though I turn in a small port. 

It still bugs me to count days though.  

To clarify, I don't have to count 180 days. I have to keep an accurate record of days of instruction, which must take place "regularly" from September through May.

I've decided to count Kennedy and Animal Kingdom.

You don't get to count summer work?!?! That's lousy. It's hot here in July and August, so we appreciate being able to get a jump on our work then and have the freedom to take off when it's lovely out in October. And people say we're restrictive!

You don't get to count summer work?!?! That's lousy. It's hot here in July and August, so we appreciate being able to get a jump on our work then and have the freedom to take off when it's lovely out in October. And people say we're restrictive!

We *can* (and I do) count summer work, but it's optional. But I can't work all summer and then take all of October off.

To clarify, I don't have to count 180 days. I have to keep an accurate record of days of instruction, which must take place "regularly" from September through May.

I've decided to count Kennedy and Animal Kingdom.

Ick. I don't like that regulation. I live in central FL, and schools here take field trips to Sea World and LegoLand regularly. I'm not sure about the Disney parks, but they are probably cost prohibitive. I'd have no qualms about counting Epcot and Animal Kingdom, along with the Space Center. I think I'd even count Hollywood Studios, but probably not Magic Kingdom. If you are heavily regulated, that could look suspicious to some people.

I count anything that has educational value so I would do the same as you did. I would count animal kingdom and the space center. We recently did legoland with our co-op. They did a class on the cardiovascular system by using lego robotics to simulate the heart and make it beat. Even though the class was only a little over an hour long I counted that day. 

Yes, they count for a first grader. I figure if public school would use up a day to take a field trip there, then you get to count it too.

We are taking a trip to Europe next year--I'm definitely counting it. Castles, cathedrals, museums...it will be a 2 week full history immersion class. :)