Menu

Exercise Thread ~ October 26-November 1

Negin

Negin, your WOs have the best names.   LOL

Mine have boring names, but let's see if I can spice it up...

OK today  I work active core strength, straight arm strength, pushing and pulling.    Wait.   That still sounds boring.

Today I jiggle the jelly roll, and then Madonna's Vogue routine for arm strength and flexibility. 

Nevermind.

Today,  WO, stretch, roll.

I'm back. Didn't do much while camping. Walked and rode bikes and sat around reading and eating. We eat a lot of "camping food" aka junk food while in the woods. So I have a lot to detox/work out of my system. 

I saw this morning that FB has a new 5 day challenge! It's for busy people and all workouts are 30 minutes. I did day 1 today. After 4 days of not working out it was hard to get back into the saddle. 

I did 30 minutes of kettlebell followed by 20 minutes of yoga.  I'm working on pushing the weights with kettlebell, trying to get my 44# bell to be my squat bell, and the 35# bell to be my lunge bell.  

I did get my Yin practice in last night.  It was an amazing practice 3 sets of twists, then 1 forward bend at the end.  Lovely practice.  I really had to work at staying focused on my breath.  

Sunday is my day off.

Me too. Needed it- except I voided all the good it did me by staying up super super late binge watching Gilmore Girls and on Netflix.  I had never seen it before.

Monday- this afternoon, 3 mile run.  Or to be accurate a wimpy whiney, stop to walk and cough and snort sort of 3 miler.  Though there was one straight away that I made myself run full out like a kid and I caught myself smiling.

Tonight- martial arts, Please oh please I hope it's an easy night on the mat.

I'm sidelined with an injury. Woke up on Thursday with sore lower back. I think it was skeletal at first it but just wouldn't pop back into place. I think the muscle now is totally seizing there.

I've been doing lots of stretching & yoga & now i'm keeping a hot pad on it.

Today I'm celebrating that I actually got into half-moon. Fri-Sun I could do forward positions but no back bendy things.  My cat & cow was pathetic.

Of course after I got out of half-moon, I discovered I couldn't bend forward right away... had to spend a good 5 minutes getting into a forward pose again. Something is really jammed in my pelvis/tailbone....

dh promised to bring home robaxacet tonight - it's time for muscle relaxants. 

I purchased the Jillian Michaels 7 day shred to mix up my workouts.  So I have been doing this

this week.  I got through the weight training but I did struggle with the cardio,  that's tough I only made it through  the first 2 sets.  

I plan on pushing through for a week then go back to my regular workout.

Tuesday: Martian arts class followed by kettle bell class.

Kettle bell was: 10 sets comprised of 15 swings with a 32 kilo bell, then face down for 4 diaphragmatic breathes, up into plank clenching every mucle as tight as possible and driving your shoulders back. Repeat. followed by 4 Turkish getups with 12 kilos x 4.

I've often wondered what your skillwork entails, I've been assuming it's practice of martial arts techniques- care to share?

Yes, I'd like to know this too.

Tuesday: Martian arts class followed by kettle bell class.

And I am just VERY curious about these "Martian arts!"  :D

Yep, my skillwork entails a lot of shoulder & wrist prehab work and being upside down.   No banana handstands allowed here, LOL.       I also do MA technical work.  You know how that is.  :ph34r:   MA stretches my abilities in a lot of ways.   We get lots of older beginners, but most of them quit pretty quickly.   It takes a certain something to be an older beginner and to stick it out, don't you agree?

Which I want to add, have you ever recorded yourself during your WOs or during your MA practice?   If you haven't done it, I totally recommend it, even if your kids film you with a point and shoot.   Sometimes you aren't doing what you think you are doing.   Or you notice some little movement that you're doing that will make you think, "Oh, no wonder my <insert body part of choice> hurts." 

Yep, my skillwork entails a lot of shoulder & wrist prehab work and being upside down. No banana handstands allowed here, LOL. I also do MA technical work. You know how that is. :ph34r: MA stretches my abilities in a lot of ways. We get lots of older beginners, but most of them quit pretty quickly. It takes a certain something to be an older beginner and to stick it out, don't you agree?

Which I want to add, have you ever recorded yourself during your WOs or during your MA practice? If you haven't done it, I totally recommend it, even if your kids film you with a point and shoot. Sometimes you aren't doing what you think you are doing. Or you notice some little movement that you're doing that will make you think, "Oh, no wonder my <insert body part of choice> hurts."

I've never filmed myself in a class and our dojo doesn't have mirrors... That's a really really good idea. Yet, the idea of seeing how I really look compared to how I think I look is a little daunting.

There is one advantage to being an older female in MA- the element of surprise. I am almost totally gray haired and though not short I am really fine-boned and thin- so in my uniform I look pretty slight plus I smile a lot; guys expect me to hold back when sparring or during sparring games- so instead I attack... loudly. I love it. Last night I startled a huge young man (who was a much senior belt) during a warm up sparring game so badly that he never could get his act together. Being told, "Dude, I can't believe you're beating me," in a congratulatory way was pretty funny.

The reality is this guy could squish me like a bug- but my girls and I were talking about it later; the practical self-defense of this as a woman is profound: being loud and reacting with confidence immediately, and with power is so important because creeps are looking for weak prey.

Honestly I think sticking with ma as an older beginner requires being willing to not be good. Does that make sense? Perfectionists need not apply... It's been a real struggle for my pride and ego. Younger artists pick up the movements so easily. I flop about feeling vaguely ridiculous for much of the time but I've learned to laugh at myself and keep trying.

25 minutes of a high intensity interval work with my kettlebell.  In that time I did 300 swings, 75 squat jumps (those kill) and 25 burpees.  I then did 30 minutes of yoga.  

I am really feeling this increase in intensity with the kettlebell.  I've taken it up a couple notches and my muscles are tired. and I'm hungry all of the time.  I'm working hard not to binge at night.  I'm eating plenty of food, but it never feels like enough. I'm hoping after 2 weeks at this pace I don't feel so hungry.  :P   

I purchased the Jillian Michaels 7 day shred to mix up my workouts.  So I have been doing this

this week.  I got through the weight training but I did struggle with the cardio,  that's tough I only made it through  the first 2 sets.  

I plan on pushing through for a week then go back to my regular workout.

I checked this out from the library. I liked it. I'll borrow it again at some point. 

I did not wo today. I decided to loaf in bed this morning. So I'll count today as my rest day. 

My dh surprised me with a set of PowerBlock dumbbells today for our anniversary. I'm so excited! I know that you all will understand my excitement. I've been wanting/needing this set for awhile. Can't wait to use them tomorrow. 

FB day 4 and I did this warm up. I used my new weights, whew! Just lifting 4 lbs heavier made such a big difference. 

I've started drinking tart cherry juice after any wo that I think will make me sore. I read in a fitness magazine that tart cherry juice has enzymes that are anti-inflammatory which will help reduce muscle soreness. I'm not a fan of the extreme tartness though. I dilute it with water and count it as my after wo drink. Anyone else try it? 

My dh surprised me with a set of PowerBlock dumbbells today for our anniversary. I'm so excited! I know that you all will understand my excitement. I've been wanting/needing this set for awhile. Can't wait to use them tomorrow. 

Now that's what a girl wants!  Great anniversary present.   Does it come with a stand too?

Today  WO, stretch, Roll.    

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone!  I had a holiday scare while running this morning.  I was on a gravel road through the woods when I and a possum met.  I may have squeaked like a little girl :blushing:. I'm experimenting with eating something about an hour before I run.  Day 2 of a piece of toast and fruit spread.  I'm not sure.  I don't think I felt any different but my times were a little better.  I don't think I could eat much more though. Our little town's Scarecrow Festival tonight.  I shall eat chili and candy and not feel guilty.

I checked this out from the library. I liked it. I'll borrow it again at some point. 

I did not wo today. I decided to loaf in bed this morning. So I'll count today as my rest day. 

Jealous!! I'd love to have some of those!

Rebounding and about to do Leslie's 4 Fast Miles - it seems like the entire workout is on You Tube if anyone's interested.

Thanks for that link! I like to do her stuff as the weather gets too icky for outside walks.

FB day 4 and I did this warm up. I used my new weights, whew! Just lifting 4 lbs heavier made such a big difference. 

I've started drinking tart cherry juice after any wo that I think will make me sore. I read in a fitness magazine that tart cherry juice has enzymes that are anti-inflammatory which will help reduce muscle soreness. I'm not a fan of the extreme tartness though. I dilute it with water and count it as my after wo drink. Anyone else try it? 

I've read that it is also supposed to help with sleep, and been thinking about trying it for that purpose. I rarely get sore from exercise anymore unless I take time off and start back up.

I did this for a while and enjoyed everything but the price.  I enjoy tart.  I switched to frozen cherries- cheaper and more yummy.  It's also supposed to help arthritis.

Thursday- killer interval strength training with my Physical Therapist.  Calf is healed now but pushes me to work out harder than I knew I could.  I will have to eventually stop going to him, sob.

Thursday evening- martial arts.

Mom-Ninja, Congrats on the new toy!  My dh did the tart cherry juice thing when he was training for a marathon.  He got discouraged because I read you had to drink a lot of it, but he did drink a cup a day.  Trader Joe's has it at a decent price.  I buy the frozen cherries too, at Sam's, and they are much cheaper, but I can't do smoothies in the winter (Just too cold), but they would be good on pancakes. 

Lisa, I would scream like a little girl too.  

Negin, I bought a body brush for dry brushing.  I plan to read up more on it today.  I've been wanting/thinking about doing it for a while, ever since my Ayurvedic cleanse.  I've been using oil each morning, in kind of a quick self-message (more like rub down, but still....). I like using oil much better than moisturizer. It works better, and my heals are now so soft.  

Yesterday was my yoga class day plus I walked 3 miles.  Today was a kettlebell workout focused on strength.  Tonight I'm taking my dd16 with me to yoga!  I'm so excited.  For many reasons, this child needs yoga, but I haven't been able to get her to do it at home.  I'm hoping attending a class will help her come to love it. We're going to try a hot yoga (level 1) class.  I was a bit torn about the hot yoga, (I've never done it!) but the time was good, the studio is in a nice location (an hour from home, but still) and they have showers.  The other studios in Knoxville do not.  I hope she likes it.