Menu

Internet Trends I Don't Understand

PIE!

2. Why are so many drink and smoothie recipes photoed in jars instead of glasses?

Because putting it in a jar is ironic retro/poor chic, and also it allows you to bring your smoothie to work. Also ALSO, some people screw the jar directly into the blender for convenience, though I believe there may be safety issues there...?

I store my green smoothies in a jar because I like to make a big batch and have them ready throughout the day. Dd takes hers to work sometimes.

I think they're pretty in jars. Reminds me of homemade jams and preserves so it's a comforting image.

Many people also use mason jars instead of plastic drink bottles. You can even get coffee shop type soppy lids for them and sleeves so you can hold them when filled with hot liquid.

I drink out of mason jars because water tastes better in glass. I have a hole in the lid with a gasket and a stainless steel straw and I love it :) they do break of course but are cheap enough to replace. Messy to clean up the mess but I still can't go back. I love the taste of my water and the heavy feel of the glass too.

I make  smoothie jars  and will toss them in the fridge. I just dump them in the blender when I am ready for a smoothie and then dump it back in the jar, it is good storage, and no waste of a plastic bag. If I put it in a glass then I would have to wash a glass and I don't like that. :lol:

I also put salad toppings in a jar and then I just dump it on a pile of lettuce.

If I don't have to constantly chop things up I am more likely to eat veggies and fruit so I make several at a time.

I think all the concerns about plastics are making them a lot more popular. 

I make  smoothie jars  and will toss them in the fridge. I just dump them in the blender when I am ready for a smoothie and then dump it back in the jar, it is good storage, and no waste of a plastic bag. If I put it in a glass then I would have to wash a glass and I don't like that. :lol:

I also put salad toppings in a jar and then I just dump it on a pile of lettuce.

This. is. brilliant.

People who share videos of car accidents because they are 'funny'.  My colleague showed me (without warning me of the content) an accident in which the occupants of the car undoubtedly died, because he thought that the driving mistake that led to it was comically stupid.

L

Who DOESN'T record themselves singing and driving??   ;)  No, we have done it before, and when we were done, we handed the phone/ipad to the kids in the back. They watched it over and over, laughing like loons the whole time.  Han Solo is a really big fan of seeing himself on "bideo," so it keeps him entertained for quite a while.

I store my green smoothies in a jar because I like to make a big batch and have them ready throughout the day. Dd takes hers to work sometimes.
I think they're pretty in jars. Reminds me of homemade jams and preserves so it's a comforting image.

​Can you pre make your green smoothies???  I've wondered, because I usually make them as I drink them, and that's a pain in the arse.  How long are they good in the fridge?  A few hours or a day?  Are you talking smoothies or juicing?

Many people also use mason jars instead of plastic drink bottles. You can even get coffee shop type soppy lids for them and sleeves so you can hold them when filled with hot liquid.

I drink out of mason jars because water tastes better in glass. YES IT DOES!!!  James Bond thinks I'm crazy, but I hate drinking water out of a plastic cup.  Ack.  Every time we go to a restaurant that uses plastic glasses (why would you do that???), I tell the server to get me a real glass from the bar.  No plastic glasses for this girl!  I have a hole in the lid with a gasket and a stainless steel straw and I love it :) they do break of course but are cheap enough to replace. Messy to clean up the mess but I still can't go back. I love the taste of my water and the heavy feel of the glass too. I have this glass water bottle that I pink puffy heart.  I take it everywhere, and get comments on it all the time.

I don't want to drink out of a glass with ridges for a lid. I concur.  It's just weird. We have a bunch of tiny mason jars here from when dh did some canning. I don't like mason jars in general because of the two pieces on the lid. They irritate me. They do make special tops that are one piece and have a place for a straw now, but I have issues with straws too.  Unless I have to, I will not use them.

People post images of really injured animals in some attempt to share concern about animal cruelty. I do not like seeing these images and usually hide them so I don't have to keep stumbling upon them.  Good grief, yes!  I hate that.  I love Ricky Gervais, who is an ardent animal supporter, and he's always posting lovely pictures of whatever animal he's talking about.  I had to unfollow or block some of those that put up the horrible photos.  I know it's happening, but I don't want to see it mixed in with photos of my friends' kids, family, and funny stuff.  I would just skim past it, and not even read the message.

I don't like it when people photograph strangers and post commentary about them. ​Guilty.  In all fairness, I usually get a shot from behind or blur their faces out.  If I do take a photo though, it's because they have on some outrageous outfit or their hair is "intriguing."  I took a photo of a lady once because her hair simply defied gravity, and all laws of physics, and I couldn't figure out how it stayed the way it did. Someone posted on my feed showing a pregnant woman at the OBGYN with a Monster energy drink in her hand and a child next to her. The reason for the photo was to discuss the dangers of drinking an energy drink while pregnant, but did we need to see photos of the people in the waiting room?? I would be pissed if someone was sharing photos of my son (or me). I never take photos of kids.  That's just...weird.   

Oh, I hate the food trend.  I don't want to see every freaking thing you eat!  Maybe every now and then, if it's something special or mind blowing (holiday themed/shaped food intrigues me).  

I hate the people who check in every 5 minutes, as if we'll all be stressed not knowing their every move.

Do you think it would be weird if I posted a CLOTHED photo of my perky new boobs after they're all healed up?  In case you didn't see my thread, I had a reduction, and they lifted them after they removed the excess tissue.  They's really bruised up right now, but boy are they perky!  We had to go out to dinner tonight, because we had such bad wind today that the power was knocked off all over post, so we couldn't cook.  I got up to go to the bathroom, and when I got back, JB made a comment about how very high and perky and firm they look.  Yeah!    I want to show them off, but that could weird people out.  Yes?  No? :)

Because putting it in a jar is ironic retro/poor chic, and also it allows you to bring your smoothie to work. Also ALSO, some people screw the jar directly into the blender for convenience, though I believe there may be safety issues there...?

This is so cool...I've broken most of our drinking glasses, so we are drinking mostly out of the canning jars. I felt a little awkward when that is all we had for a guest. It turns out I am chic!

Recording singing in cars is probably because some have gone viral and so people are hoping theirs goes viral as well.  A car is a pretty normal backdrop for singing.  Everybody sings in cars.  Way back when That 70's Show was on their opening theme was people singing in a car.

Posting pictures of gross body parts sometimes makes sense.  I had a friend post a picture of her red and swollen ankle the other day asking for advice on what in the world was going on.  Most people concurred that she had probably been bitten by something and needed to get it checked.  Turned out it was an allergic reaction and a staph infection that developed and worsened over a less than 24 hour period and she needed oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, and steroids.  Sometimes getting a reality check that you are not overreacting and others would see the doctor, too, helps.

I'm thinking when you are on top of the charts you don't get to show off.  :lol: We are all jealous enough already!

Who DOESN'T record themselves singing and driving??   ;)  No, we have done it before, and when we were done, we handed the phone/ipad to the kids in the back. They watched it over and over, laughing like loons the whole time.  Han Solo is a really big fan of seeing himself on "bideo," so it keeps him entertained for quite a while.

Oh, I hate the food trend.  I don't want to see every freaking thing you eat!  Maybe every now and then, if it's something special or mind blowing (holiday themed/shaped food intrigues me).  

I hate the people who check in every 5 minutes, as if we'll all be stressed not knowing their every move.

Do you think it would be weird if I posted a CLOTHED photo of my perky new boobs after they're all healed up?  In case you didn't see my thread, I had a reduction, and they lifted them after they removed the excess tissue.  They's really bruised up right now, but boy are they perky!  We had to go out to dinner tonight, because we had such bad wind today that the power was knocked off all over post, so we couldn't cook.  I got up to go to the bathroom, and when I got back, JB made a comment about how very high and perky and firm they look.  Yeah!    I want to show them off, but that could weird people out.  Yes?  No? :)

Mom in high heels - I can't trim you post on the ipad.....

Yup, Green smoothies. I don't juice,

Definitely same day and i think you can stretch to 24-36h.

Some ingredients really change texture. There are a few that get gelatinous and weird. Most are totally fine and I just shake them.

Oh and you can get stainless steel straws. :)

I love the glass water bottle linked above but I am WAY too clumsy to carry around a $15 glass bottle :) I think if you buy them new the jars are $.75. And I don't usually drink from the rims. I use a stainless steel straw. Although to be honest drinking with the threading there doesn't bother me at all. I just like straws.

Why would there be a safety issue? Some Oster blenders used to come with a mason/ball jar or indicated in the manual that you could use them with the blender.

This does not address the OP (sorry!) but I use Mason jars for my own drinks, food storage, and I love the 12 oz smaller jars for the kids' drinks.  Much easier for them to put on a plastic lid and store their extra milk in the fridge instead of having an open cup in the fridge or them having to chug down 1/2 a glass of milk when they've poured too much. 

For some reason, water in a quart Mason jar at room temp is the perfect temperature for me all the time...not too cold from the fridge, not too warm from the tap.  I had my husband drill a hole in a plastic lid so I can put a straw through.  I wish my Odyssey's cup holders would accommodate a quart jar though :(  So bummed about that!

I'd much rather try to rearrange glass Mason jars in the dishwasher than Rubbermaid/Tupperware that seems to take up so much room and are only top-rack wash. 

I love mason jars because they are cheap and more durable than glasses. We've had the same set of jelly jars for the kids to use for over a year, and despite having lots of little friends handle and drop them, none have ever broken. Aside from that, I try not to use a lot of plastic with food/drinks. The glass that is marketed as 'water bottles' is SO expensive! I looked at some that were upwards of $20 each! I'd need four, one for myself and each kid....and I'd be upset if I spent $80 on them and one broke or got lost. Instead I got the lids with a straw hole and straws for less than $1 a set, and the jars are also less than $1, so we can have glass water bottles for less than $2.

I don't understand the singing in car and recording yourself idea, but mason jars are very convenient. Our entire downstairs floor is tile and dropping a glass on the floor results in hours of clean up because they shatter and shards end up in every corner of the house. Mason jars are much sturdier and when they break, they tend to just crack pretty evenly and break into 2 pieces. Much easier clean up. We could just be incredibly clumsy, but the last set of real glasses we bought lasted a few months until they were all broken. Mason jars are much easier!

Who DOESN'T record themselves singing and driving?? ;) No, we have done it before, and when we were done, we handed the phone/ipad to the kids in the back. They watched it over and over, laughing like loons the whole time. Han Solo is a really big fan of seeing himself on "bideo," so it keeps him entertained for quite a while.

Oh, I hate the food trend. I don't want to see every freaking thing you eat! Maybe every now and then, if it's something special or mind blowing (holiday themed/shaped food intrigues me).

Do you think it would be weird if I posted a CLOTHED photo of my perky new boobs after they're all healed up? In case you didn't see my thread, I had a reduction, and they lifted them after they removed the excess tissue. They's really bruised up right now, but boy are they perky! We had to go out to dinner tonight, because we had such bad wind today that the power was knocked off all over post, so we couldn't cook. I got up to go to the bathroom, and when I got back, JB made a comment about how very high and perky and firm they look. Yeah! I want to show them off, but that could weird people out. Yes? No? :)

100% do NOT post picture of your perky boobs, clothed or no. Just don't do it. No no no. I would be alarmed to see that on my FB feed.

I drink out of mason jars because water tastes better in glass. I have a hole in the lid with a gasket and a stainless steel straw and I love it :) they do break of course but are cheap enough to replace. Messy to clean up the mess but I still can't go back. I love the taste of my water and the heavy feel of the glass too.

I am really glad you said that.  I've been in mourning because Crate and Barrel stopped carrying their large glass drinking glasses.  They held 16 oz and came with a plastic lid, so I would also use them for leftovers.  Leftovers never went uneaten when you could see them.  They were similar to what IKEA used to carry, but IKEA's didn' t come with the lids.  I don't know why I didn't think of mason jars.  Water does taste better in glass, milk too.  

I don't understand why people post half of what they post on FB, but to each their own, I suppose.

:lol: I was going to say the same thing. I don't understand why we need to know that someone checked in from XYZ restaurant or what someone's menu is for the week or how they're wiped out from spending the whole day making their nourishing, healthy bone broth and 47 dinners to freeze. If you want to share a recipe or a cool kitchen trick, that's one thing, but otherwise, it always feels like humble-bragging to me  :leaving:  I'm trying to wean myself off FB at the moment, but it's hard because a lot of the local HS things are advertised and planned there. 

I've never seen videos of people singing while they're driving though  :confused1:  Are they recording while they're driving? Isn't that kind of unsafe? Or am I misinterpreting what this is?

A year ago I would have agreed the weirdness of drinking/eating out of mason jars. I think I may even have posted about it here, because I just didn't get it. Then I bought some 8 oz Ball jars to portion out snacks and discovered their many, MANY uses. Then I bought a set of Ball mugs ($10 for 4) to travel with rather than buy the new fancy glass bottles ($20 each), and I loved them even more. Now I'm getting ready to buy a bunch of big ones for storing food/broth/whatever. I love my glass Pyrex for storage, but the Ball lids stay on so much better! 

I've often wondered about the cats on the internet. I might have to check the podcast. I agree that I don't want to see gross body part pictures on FB. (and I agree that perky parts ought to stay off too). It seems that I'm not giving mason jars enough credit.

I know it's really popular, but twitter baffles me. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm getting old.

I love the glass water bottle linked above but I am WAY too clumsy to carry around a $15 glass bottle :) I think if you buy them new the jars are $.75. And I don't usually drink from the rims. I use a stainless steel straw. Although to be honest drinking with the threading there doesn't bother me at all. I just like straws.

That bottle is STRONG!  I've dropped it many times and it hasn't broken.  They also have some that have more silicone covering on the outside, like this.  I get so many comments on it.

100% do NOT post picture of your perky boobs, clothed or no. Just don't do it. No no no. I would be alarmed to see that on my FB feed.

It was a joke. 

That bottle is STRONG! I've dropped it many times and it hasn't broken. They also have some that have more silicone covering on the outside, like this. I get so many comments on it.

Even on tile? Or outside on the cement? My only beef with the mason jar is the car cup holder issue. I would love one that fit in the car for when I leave. But then again a quart is rarely enough as it is. I'm a huge water drinker myself and often end up sharing too so I don't love the idea of a smaller size.

Vague-booking

"Well, that just stinks."

"I can't believe it!"

"Ouch"

Seriously folks.  Begging for attention is not attractive.  If you want to tell us about your sore throat or boyfriend, just say it.  I refuse to ask you to explain yourself and will instantly hide your annoying post.

As someone who grew up drinking out of repurposed jars (not even nice mason jars for canning, think empty jars of PB and tomato sauce), I find the jar thing very annoying. I would also like the prices of tough or less desirable cuts of meat and dark greens like collards and mustard to return the level of poor people food rather than pay a premium for trendiness. It's strange to see poverty become a trend. And it's grating when people think I eat grits because of the Food Network and not because my mom raised me on them, goshflarnit.

Vague-booking

"I can't believe it!"

"Ouch"

Seriously folks.  Begging for attention is not attractive.  If you want to tell us about your sore throat or boyfriend, just say it.  I refuse to ask you to explain yourself and will instantly hide your annoying post.

Vaguebooking statuses addressed to an unnamed "you" are the worst.

Vague-booking

"I can't believe it!"

"Ouch"

Seriously folks. Begging for attention is not attractive. If you want to tell us about your sore throat or boyfriend, just say it. I refuse to ask you to explain yourself and will instantly hide your annoying post.

:lol: I've always referred to as "ambiguous drama," but vaguebooking is so much funnier!

As someone who grew up drinking out of repurposed jars (not even nice mason jars for canning, think empty jars of PB and tomato sauce), I find the jar thing very annoying. I would also like the prices of tough or less desirable cuts of meat and dark greens like collards and mustard to return the level of poor people food rather than pay a premium for trendiness. It's strange to see poverty become a trend. And it's grating when people think I eat grits because of the Food Network and not because my mom raised me on them, goshflarnit.

I don't think the Mason jar thing has anything to do with making poverty trendy. Old-fashioned and retro? Sure. But mostly they're cute and inexpensive, have a lot of uses, and are very practical. 

Even on tile? Or outside on the cement? My only beef with the mason jar is the car cup holder issue. I would love one that fit in the car for when I leave. But then again a quart is rarely enough as it is. I'm a huge water drinker myself and often end up sharing too so I don't love the idea of a smaller size.

I've dropped mine on hardwood and pavement, but not tile.  I'm not prone to dropping though. ;)  If you are worried, then I'd get the one with more silicone covering.  I think this are far less likely to break.  I just happen to like the smaller spout of the one I have.  BTW, I bought mine for less at Target.  I know they carry a bunch of them with more silicone covering, so you can try them out there.  Pick it up and drop it to see what happens. :)  BTW, they're not with the regular water bottles, but near the dishes. 

I love me some grits. 

Some of my jars used to be spaghetti sauce jars, I also have some actual antique mason jars..but I don't put smoothies in those.

I love me some grits.

Some of my jars used to be spaghetti sauce jars, I also have some actual antique mason jars..but I don't put smoothies in those.

The Classico jars are Ball jars, or at least they used to be. My grandmother let me have a blue Ball jar from her basement (which used to be her mother's basement), and it turns out it's from the 1920s. I 💖 those old blue ones!

The mouth-wide-open smile.

Do you know what I'm talking about? Every photo of young folks I see these days seems to feature a bunch of folks with their eyebrows raised and mouths wide open, "smiling."

You're posing, so it's no surprise you're being photographed. Put your teeth together and say cheese, please, no one really wants a snapshot of your tonsils.