Menu

Cool Curriculum That You wish you had the time/money for?

mathmarm

It's not really about money for me. I could buy this stuff and most of it is pretty inexpensive anyway. But I would also like to be able to fit in Mapping the World with Art and Excavating English. Also, Philosophy for Children. And lately I wish we had time for a lot more logic stuff, which somehow we just haven't had room for like we used to. And not a curriculum, but I wish I felt like we had time to read all the Horrible Geography books.

All these things have time though. We could potentially get to them in the next couple of years. Or not.

Oh, one thing I'd like to do that isn't worth the price tag is Building Poems. Just with the shipping I don't feel like it's worth it for what it is, but the poetry was the only thing we really liked from MCT Island so I would sort of like to follow it up with the Town level poetry book.

It's not really about money for me. I could buy this stuff and most of it is pretty inexpensive anyway. But I would also like to be able to fit in Mapping the World with Art and Excavating English. Also, Philosophy for Children. And lately I wish we had time for a lot more logic stuff, which somehow we just haven't had room for like we used to. And not a curriculum, but I wish I felt like we had time to read all the Horrible Geography books.

All these things have time though. We could potentially get to them in the next couple of years. Or not.

Oh, one thing I'd like to do that isn't worth the price tag is Building Poems. Just with the shipping I don't feel like it's worth it for what it is, but the poetry was the only thing we really liked from MCT Island so I would sort of like to follow it up with the Town level poetry book.

I kicked out grammar for the year to fit in Excavating English. No regrets.

:D

Life of Fred, Rosetta stone (have it but have not time to use it), all the math games I bought that just sit on the shelf, our map of the us game, picture smart bible, IEW, some sort of art program. I would love to do more audio books. I need to change my car radio so I can plug in my phone and listen in there with the kids. 

Bravewriter. I just can't justify that price for an Ebook. I wish I could get it used. 

Learning Latin Through Mythology is on my list for my next go round with the younger set. It looks like fun. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521397790/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2R3U23OGELC4H&coliid=I2SSMWERTPYEZ7

I'm on the fence with HWT Letters and Numbers for Me for my 5yo. I know I want to do it with him. I know he needs it. I'm just not feeling energetic enough to get it going with him. Probably not until he's 6 and baby is out of the newborn stage. 

For me, it's mostly time. I could probably work the budget to fit some (but not all) of this, but I think I would run myself and/or my children ragged to add in much more than what we accomplish right now. I'm not a huge fan of having lots of out of the house activities, and that's what would be required for things like sports, music, and swimming. For logic, art, and foreign language, I don't even know what curriculum I'd choose, because I have never looked at what there is.

Beast Academy for the older

Kindergarten level logic for the younger (she has requested "puzzle math" and I think that's the closest I can get for her, given that she doesn't really have addition/subtraction down)

a fuller art program that is not DVD based, along with the supplies for it

foreign language

a simple overall music class (not a specific instrument)

dance for the younger and a sport for the older

swimming more often than one 8-week session a year

I'll likely add in the first two at some point--maybe next school year.

I lusted after Shurley English for my now-twentysomethings but could never scrape up the cash.

I fished a copy out of the $5 bin for my 6yo for the same reason normal people collect antiques or old magazines but I question whether I have enough lesson prep time to actually use it and I'm sure he'll be just fine if I use that time to copy his siblings' old Daily Grams on to the blackboard and dip into the curriculum budget for groceries instead of dipping into the grocery budget for the latest and greatest shiny new curriculum.

I'm really struggling to keep Saxon Primary Math off my "wish I could but I can't" list.

I am sure that Math Mammoth is an excellent program, but I see how ds uses workbooks when he does ETC and he simply isn't ready for a workbook based Math program yet.

When I was coparenting, I beat myself up over Mondays that had more to do with custody/visitation adjustments than education. Now that I am solo parenting, I beat myself up over how limited my lesson planning time is.

The grass isn't greener, it's just different grass.

I should also add quintuplets to my wish list, since I'd completely overwork my only minor child if I tried to use every product on the market looks fun and interesting. ;)

These look great based on what I can see.  Do you know anyone that has used them?

I don't know anyone personally who uses them, so I've never seen them in person either.  But, here is the thread where i first heard about them.  Here's another one that talks a little about them at the end.  You can search here and find a few more discussions. 

Patty Paper Geometry and Ferret Ecology. Really, I own one and could easily afford to buy the other, but neither fits in the schedule right now. Oh, and every GEMS guide ever written. They are all fabulous but so much set up work. High payoff too, but sometimes the set up just intimidates me out of wanting to do the unit at all.

Patty Paper Geometry

Hands On Equations

all the levels of Atelier Art

Learn & Master Guitar

Classical Conversations (I have this one, but we never have time to get to it)

Excavating English

Mapping the World with Art (I have this tentatively scheduled for 8th grade, as part of a world geography year.)

Not a curriculum, but I've got a huge list of good literature I want to read with DD, but she'd have to age about 3 times slower than humanly possible in order to get to them all before she outgrows them.

With our upcoming years in mind:

Hey Andrew, Song School Greek & Song School Spanish

RightStart Math (stupid hive!)

Sonlight PK

Visualize World Geography, though we LOVE our Geopuzzles

Exploration Education, the Apologia Zoology series, a butterfly garden, and Nature Connection

The Writers Jungle

The Way they See It from Artistic Pursuits

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization and Living Memory

My list would be very similar.  Not so much for the money, but for the time. 

I call it "Nebel" but I think it's referred to as BFSU.

Anyway, Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Nebel.

I've owned it, TWICE. Gave it away both times. Too much teacher prep at this point in our journey. I need open-and-go science for now.

But I wish I had the time... sigh... it's excellent.

MCT and The Writer's Jungle. Sometimes I do buy curriculum I don't actually need and justify it by telling myself that, as a certified teacher, I need to keep up my own skills/knowledge. So, maybe I'll use my Christmas money on some Bravewriter stuff.

TWJ is only $50 at HSBC.  ;)

We've loved our MCT books so much I would love to try more from RFWP, ditto with Ellen McHenry. I have more of both on the docket but we just don't have enough time to go through all their books. Jousting Armadillos is a maybe, I think it will fit ds well but I'm not sure if it will be the best use of our time. We might go ahead and use it next year.

I'm adding some of the Lego education material on FP's list as well :)

Otherwise books, too many books and too little time.

If i had time I would add in a ton of stuff from The Critical Thinking Company, off the top of my head; math detective, mind benders, word roots, Editor in chief, and Science detective.

If I had unlimited funds I would buy all the Sonlight cores.  Just to have to use alongside our other programs.

For me it's mostly about time. I tend to be drawn to resources that are time intensive for setting up or because they teach the parent how to teach the subject to the child. That's why I wish I had more time in the day to be able to use BFSU, The Writer's Jungle, JUMP Math, and BookShark's Eastern Hemisphere. As if I don't have enough Resources to juggle, I just received the GEMS unit Life through Time. It looks amazing- better than I thought it would be. However, the set up requires quite a few resources and time to put them all together. I may end up saving it for next year. I also wish I had more time to play with math outside of our curriculum. My dd would love more math games, puzzles, tricks, activities, stories, etc.

I wish we had time for

• competitive chess for ds10. We have an excellent club here with a serious instructor but I  didn't want to trade in a free afternoon.  So crossed that off the list. AND
  • competitive lego league for ds10.  

Ha! I notice a theme. He's getting older and I'm ready for him to be able to really come into his own, but I still need to balance the demands of two high schoolers and 2 kids in college with just one mama to get to all the activities. I'm not sad, I just sometimes think these would be awesome experiences. 

Lisa

I always wanted to do the Lentil Science stuff. However, every time I almost hit the purchase button at RR it would occur to me that I was probably the one who would spend the most time using it... So I never bought it.

It is my one homeschooling regret... :lol:

Georgia

I love the looks of Wayfarers, and I like the idea of a literature-centered curriculum that uses really, really good books (even for high school science and geography). But I can't justify paying that much for something that I would tweak, make substitutions, and adjust so much that it would end up being a very expensive booklist.

But if something happens and I need an open and go curriculum that any person can open and do the next thing with my kids (or they can look at it and do what is needed on any given day), or if I was unable to make an individual curriculum plan for each child and just needed to make a large purchase for the year and have it done with, it would be Wayfarers.

I always wanted to do the Lentil Science stuff. However, every time I almost hit the purchase button at RR it would occur to me that I was probably the one who would spend the most time using it... So I never bought it.

It is my one homeschooling regret... :lol:

Georgia

Is Lentil Science and get a grip really similar?

MCT.  Just cannot justify the price yet.  Soon that might shift, but right now it just seems like a whole stack of money for a grammar and poetics curriculum.  Lost Tools of Writing looks delicious as well. 

Not yet, but PA Homeschoolers classes look wonderful, but ouch $600 a year. 

I have somehow found a way to do Lukeion and AoPS....I just need to think on it a bit more and hopefully I can work these in too.

With unlimited money and space, I would buy all the "all in one" type curric that each have one piece that I want, tear it all apart, and use a piece from this and a piece from that. I already adapt pretty much everything I do buy, but I can't quite fork over the money for other products knowing that I only want to use maybe 5-10% of it.

Other than that, it's all time. I have awesome Lego sets, living math books, board games, and a variety of other resources that don't get used as much as they should. And sometimes I look through my own shelves and think - ooh, I completely forgot about this! I need to use this!