Menu

Anyone else's teen take the ACT today?

Mine thought it was easier than the practice book.  I'm wondering if that was just from getting a good night's sleep or if the test really was easier.  What did your dc think? 

If it was easier and scores are higher, how does that affect the perception of the scores by colleges?  Do they pay attention to percentile rankings, or are they just concerned with the scale score? 

It's irrelevant as far as the scoring goes whether the test is "easier" or not.  The scaling takes relative differences in test difficulty into account.  If you look at the scoring info for the different tests in the red book (or across any official ACT tests), you'll see that the raw scores that equate to scaled scores are different for each test.  A relatively easy test can actually make it harder to score higher scores since everyone else is getting more questions right, too.  

I hate being a downer, and I do think that an easier test can improve confidence so students feel better about attacking the more difficult questions.  Will keep my fingers crossed for him/her!  I had a bunch of students take it today, and haven't heard back from any of them yet about what they thought.  I hate waiting :)

Mine thought it was easier than the practice book.  I'm wondering if that was just from getting a good night's sleep or if the test really was easier.  What did your dc think? 

If it was easier and scores are higher, how does that affect the perception of the scores by colleges?  Do they pay attention to percentile rankings, or are they just concerned with the scale score? 

My oldest took it. He thought the math was easier and reading was okay, but that the English was hard, and science had a few words he didn't know. (He rated these other three as about the same as the practice tests.) So...mixed thoughts here!

A relatively easy test can actually make it harder to score higher scores since everyone else is getting more questions right, too.  

Hm, yeah, not what I wanted to hear! But, very interesting...

My 15yo and my 12yo took it for the first time.  My 12yo thought the English and Reading were easier than she expected, but the math and science were harder than she expected.  She felt reading the practice book (she didn't take a practice test) helped a lot.  My 15yo thought the prep book described the test well, but still found problems he didn't expect. He thought it was harder than he expected with math/science and Reading/English easier.  DD thought the time limits made it more difficult.  This was their first real testing experience (outside of SOL's a couple of years, and our annual ITBS and/or CAT).  DS probably would have done better IF he had brought his calculator :p  BUT, since he's used to doing the math without a calculator, he at least wasn't stumped.

My dd thought the wording of the math problems was very different from the Sept test and the practice tests she took. She also said the English was set up differently and took more time to find where sentences had to be inserted due to changes in the way the questions were presented. She thought Science was easier this time than last. She had no real feel for how she may have scored.

DS17 took it Saturday for the last time. He had last taken it in April, as well as earlier tests through a Talent Search. Both for the April test and this test he had done a lot of test prep, working with a friend of mine who used to teach at a test prep center, and she had lots of practice tests for him to take. He is a very strong humanities student, but for the first time his math and science prep was going very, very well. For the first time he came out of the test feeling very confident about all sections-- nothing he didn't know how to do. He is aiming to boost his Composite score for his 1st choice school, which has a Nov. 15 Early Decision deadline. So this was his last chance, and he gave it his all.

He was quite wiped out afterward, as well as the rest of the weekend. Today he had a test for a CC course, so now he wants to just go to bed.

Maria