Menu

Early action; how many? And the essay

Timbers6

How many Early Action applications? Dd is sending out 4. One out and three to go. Three are pretty sure-fire wins.

She's saving the reaches for next month. She has been so busy w school and wants to put out great essays, but time is not on her side. The stats are there but she thinks all is riding on the essay. I think the essay is icing on the cake. Write a great story and the package is complete. She has FOUR essays half completed. And I won't be allowed to read them until they are finished.

Just venting here and hoping she can focus and just get it done. She writes beautifully and for her sake and stress level I want this to be over. She is so excited/encouraged/fearful /stressed/giddy...it goes on and on.

Dd just sent off two, literally minutes ago. Her favorite school and her third choice. Her other three faves are Common App and no EA. She used the same (but slightly edited) essay in both apps. One school had a specific prompt, but the other has a very vague "personal statement." So she recycled the essay written to the one prompt.

Thanks for the replies. She's finishing up CA essay now, and will work on the other essay after her big AP exam on Tuesday.

Then, starting Nov 1, UC apps are open.

Dd has 10 on her list and at this point getting an acceptance from a safety will be a confidence builder; that is if she can finish her essay in time:)

I don't get the point of applying EA to safeties.   My ds is applying to his top choice -- a reach -- EA.  (It's restrictive EA, so he can't put in any other early apps.) If he gets in, he'll only apply to schools he might consider choosing over that one.  We won't need to spend the time and money it takes to apply to safeties.

How I envy all of you. DS applied Restrictive Early Action to one school so he cannot do early action anywhere else.  We must wait for the Regular Decision notifications.  DS was allowed to apply to one rolling admissions public university but he can submit an unlimited number of Regular Decision apps.  It's going to be a long couple of months. I would have liked DS to apply early to a couple of safeties just to see about scholarship awards.  I have been told that the earlier a student applies the better chance of merit aid.

Muttichen - we are in a similar situation.

DS is applying to one ED, no EAs.  Deadline is Nov. 15. He took the ACT for the last time over the weekend, now is looking for time to finish (write) essays. He spent Sept. writing and writing....and ultimately decided not to go in that direction. Since then has mostly been noodling in his noodle.  I think he needed to get some thoughts out of his system first. So I am drumming my fingers.

My stuff is done. But I am finding that I don't want to upload anything. Once I do that, there is no going back in time. He will be Done. It is the first step to the end of his homeschooling. And even though I have two younger DC, it still means a major change is coming. I want it to stay the same as when we made paper Viking boats and lit them on fire on our tiny puddle of a pond, or I encased their faces in plaster to make Greek theater masks. Or all the other things we have done together.

Sigh. 

The rest of the applications are due Jan. 1 and Jan. 15.

Maria

One Early Action, one Early Decision. His ED school allows students to apply EA to other schools. I so wish we could be done after this, and his EA school is a safety, but I'm sure he'll also complete some RD applications too. I am spared the work this time, because he is is brick and mortar school. Not spared the worry though!

I don't get the point of applying EA to safeties. My ds is applying to his top choice -- a reach -- EA. (It's restrictive EA, so he can't put in any other early apps.) If he gets in, he'll only apply to schools he might consider choosing over that one. We won't need to spend the time and money it takes to apply to safeties.

I think it depends on the student as to which is the better way to go. My ds applied to his top choice school which was REA. Under their plan, he could apply to any public university, any school with rolling admissions, and any special programs at public universities that had earlier application deadlines (I can't exactly remember the wording), and I believe any foreign univerisity (was n/a for us, but I do believe it was allowed). He applied to three state public unis (as well as a special program within one of those). He received acceptances at all of those with significant merit money. He also continued to work on his regular decision applications during that time period between when he submitted his REA application and when he received that decision - about a two-month time period. He was deferred at his top choice school. I wouldn't say it was devastating, but it certainly would have been hard to start at square one on December 15th and have been enthusiastic about the application process. It was definitely helpful that he already had three choices in the bag as well as other apps completed when that deferral arrived. I don't think we would have been in panic mode, but it wouldn't have made for a very pleasant holiday season to have been scrambling around trying to get multiple apps done. Many of his RD schools had significant supplements. The state school apps are mostly quick and easy (although for Honors programs there are usually some additional requirements of essays, resume's etc.).

He went from deferred to accepted in the regular round at his first choice school, and that was where he matriculated. However, for *us* it was psychologically/emotionally nice having those safeties already taken care of (as well as other apps) when that deferral came. That was why we went ahead and got those apps in early for safeties. This also allowed us to get housing deposits (NOT enrollment deposits) submitted in the fall, so if one of the safeties were the choice he wouldn't get crappy housing. Yes, more money spent. I get it. I just think you have to know how quickly your kid will rally if the EA/ED doesn't work out. It probably also depends on how selective the EA/ED school is. If you're pretty sure your kiddo is going to get in, that is also a different story. That wasn't the case with ds's first choice school.

Just my $0.02 about why we went ahead and did our safeties early.

I think it depends on the student as to which is the better way to go. My ds applied to his top choice school which was REA. Under their plan, he could apply to any public university, any school with rolling admissions, and any special programs at public universities that had earlier application deadlines (I can't exactly remember the wording), and I believe any foreign univerisity (was n/a for us, but I do believe it was allowed). He applied to three state public unis (as well as a special program within one of those). He received acceptances at all of those with significant merit money. He also continued to work on his regular decision applications during that time period between when he submitted his REA application and when he received that decision - about a two-month time period. He was deferred at his top choice school. I wouldn't say it was devastating, but it certainly would have been hard to start at square one on December 15th and have been enthusiastic about the application process. It was definitely helpful that he already had three choices in the bag as well as other apps completed when that deferral arrived. I don't think we would have been in panic mode, but it wouldn't have made for a very pleasant holiday season to have been scrambling around trying to get multiple apps done. Many of his RD schools had significant supplements. The state school apps are mostly quick and easy (although for Honors programs there are usually some additional requirements of essays, resume's etc.).

He went from deferred to accepted in the regular round at his first choice school, and that was where he matriculated. However, for *us* it was psychologically/emotionally nice having those safeties already taken care of (as well as other apps) when that deferral came. That was why we went ahead and got those apps in early for safeties. This also allowed us to get housing deposits (NOT enrollment deposits) submitted in the fall, so if one of the safeties were the choice he wouldn't get crappy housing. Yes, more money spent. I get it. I just think you have to know how quickly your kid will rally if the EA/ED doesn't work out. It probably also depends on how selective the EA/ED school is. If you're pretty sure your kiddo is going to get in, that is also a different story. That wasn't the case with ds's first choice school.

Just my $0.02 about why we went ahead and did our safeties early.

That makes sense.  Even though we won't submit/pay for other apps until we know if he's accepted at his top choice, I'm planning to have him work on some of the other supplements in the meantime.  He has three strong essays written that can be tweaked to fit most prompts, and all of the schools take the common app, so it shouldn't be a huge deal to get it all done if he needs to.

His top choice has a very low admissions rate (under ten percent), but two of my other dc have been accepted there with similar records, so I think his odds are 50-50.  He definitely has the scores to be in the pile they look at and he has a very nice national award and three publications.  You just never know who they'll pick, though. He knows it's a long shot for anyone and he has other good choices (actually, making this the top choice was somewhat arbitrary), so he won't be devastated if he doesn't get in.  He'll just be bummed that he has more work to do! We'll see....

Advantages with ED for sure.

Dd is casting a wide net and it will be exciting to see where it falls.

It is exciting! I got an e-mail from dd's top pick saying they received her app. It gave *me* butterflies in my stomach! Lol! I'm so weird!

It is exciting! I got an e-mail from dd's top pick saying they received her app. It gave *me* butterflies in my stomach! Lol! I'm so weird!

Not weird at all.  I get excited when DS receives a notice.  Heck, I get excited when he receives a mailer from an interesting school. ""Oooooh, let's go check out this one."   "This school has this, that AND the other thing. Let's go for a visit."

I believe the next few months will require copious amounts of chai (my go to beverage) and asking DS to check his email.