Menu

Workbooks for Precocious LA learners

9 yo DD (4th grade) is way ahead of the curve in terms of language-based learning.  To be honest, I've mostly left her alone, because she hasn't needed any instruction at all.  It's nuts.  Anyway, she's now revolting because school doesn't include enough language arts for her (um, because you're so freaking advanced that I'm not sure what to do with you.).   She REALLY likes workbooks that use crosswords, word searches, and other puzzles to teach and would like me to get her some for school.

Here's where things get sticky.  She does NOT like using books that are above her grade level.  If I were giving her stuff that I think would appropriately challenge her, I would look at 7th/8th grade level materials.  That will not fly.  She will wig out on me (ask me how I know).  So anything I use with her needs to be labeled with a 4, an ambiguous letter, or be completely ungraded. 

But, on the other hand, work that is too easy offends because it feels babyish to her.  For example, I got Essentials in Writing 4 for her older sister, but have her (the 9 yo) tag along because.... why not?  But it feels babyish to her.  She is WAY beyond that material, for the most part.

So I'm left searching for non-babyish, challenging (but not too challenging or she'll shut down), not too expensive, ambiguously labeled language arts workbooks.

Any ideas?

Many of the Critical Thinking books are labeled A, B, C or 1, 2, 3.

But I really think that if she can get over the idea that being in grade X means she should be working across the board in grade X materials, she'd be much better off. Does she do swim lessons or dance or any other kind of leveled classes where there are mixed ages?

You might like to look at Galore Park - they are text books rather than work books, but I found them to be interesting enough for Calvin.  4th grade is roughly Junior English 3, or your could push it to So You Really Want to Learn English 1 (although it's worth considering the age suitability of the texts if you push too high).  You can just say it's British numbering (which it is).  I have linked some samples for you.

L

What if you printed an E-book, and either had her make a custom cover and then bind it, or put it in a folder and decorate it? Evan-Moor has materials through 8th grade, and something like Daily Editing or Daily writing may work. Scholastic sometimes does, too. I do that for DD for some subjects because she rarely needs a whole workbook, and she likes cute, so I can create something custom to her needs, above, on, and below level, with the occasional coloring page or craft activity mixed in.

vocabulary from Classical Roots is marked with letters not grade levels. It is a workbook but no puzzles or crosswords. We use it for LA and also use the word lists for spelling bee practice.

We also use Latin for Children. The activity books include crossword puzzles and other games.

I agree that resources with crosswords, word searches, and other puzzles will probably not meet needs for high level LA. But there are good workbooks to be had. 

I am using Image Grammar (writing instruction through applied grammar) with my kids this year. It has an excellent workbook for the middle grades with no mention of grade level on the cover. It is simply called Introduction to Image Grammar Activity Book. I am using the Image Grammar text across the curriculum with my kids (because we are addicted to that, LOL), but I think the workbook is wonderful and highly recommend it! 

My kids love Killgallon. Paragraphs for Elementary School would be good for her. Samples at the publisher's site. 

Oh, and Discovering Voice, which does have identifying stuff on the cover, but you could remove the binding and spiral bind or put lessons in a notebook. It's rich. 

• 2 weeks later...

Vocabulary-Lit uses letters instead of grades. The books pull vocab words from Classic works and then each day of the week you go through various workbooks exercises with them. The idea is that by the end of the week you can spell and define the terms.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=Vocabu-Lit

My son has recently started to love the Oxford English Dictionary and etymology. Each week he picks a handful of words to learn the historical definitions of by looking them up at the library. It is quite interesting. This week one was glass. It comes from either Old High German "glas" meaning gloss or shine, or from the Old Testiment transcription into Latin "gleasium" meaning "glow." Wrapper was a word a few weeks ago (Halloween candy!) and it was first used in 1490, but not a common term until the 19th century. It prompted looking into the Industrial Revolution and the birth of the middle class and purchasing goods versus husbandry. Not exactly a workbook, but it has been quite wonderful and is very simple to do.

I am using Image Grammar (writing instruction through applied grammar) with my kids this year. It has an excellent workbook for the middle grades with no mention of grade level on the cover. It is simply called Introduction to Image Grammar Activity Book. I am using the Image Grammar text across the curriculum with my kids (because we are addicted to that, LOL), but I think the workbook is wonderful and highly recommend it!

When you get a chance, could you write up a review of that program? I happen to have the old version of the book, which I understand isn't like the new one. I can't make what to do with it. I would love if you could share what assignments look like and how you use it across curriculum, and how it compares to Killgallon. :) pleeeeeaaaaase. :)