Menu

Book series suggestions for 8yog

bluedarling

dd8 has read every age-appropriate series I can think of for someone around her age.  We are trying to hold her off on Harry Potter for a bit (we made older kids wait until 12 for religious reasons...we probably won't make it that long with her.)  She just finished the entire Wizard of Oz series, and she loves it!  She has read Chronicles of Narnia, Little House books, didn't care for boxcar children, I've printed lists of books for gifted readers and am not finding anything she hasn't read that she is willing to read (especially series that will keep her busy more than 1 hour.)  Anne of Green Gables was a little old for her.  Any suggestions?

Swallows & Amazons

Gone Away Lake 

American Girls

The Saturdays Series

I had mentioned Swallows & Amazon in reviewing the lists I had printed for her...she's willing to try that!  Doesn't like American Girls, and I think she's already read some of the Saturday series (but I'll double-check).  I just ordered Gone Away Lake and Swallows & Amazons from the library.  Thanks.

Your welcome. I hope she enjoys them. My dd's just reminded me that Swallows and Amazon's is slow going in the beginning. If I remember correctly, there are a lot of references to sailing/nautical terms that can be problematic until she gets a bit further along and then it is smooth sailing. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 

The Penderwicks

Inkheart

The Great Brain

The All-of-a-Kind Family

The Year of the Dog series

The Ramona books, of course

Above World

The Series of Unfortunate Events

The Amy and Laura books (gosh, I loved those as a kid - they don't get enough love!)

The various "shoes" books by Noel Streatfeild (yes, I spelled the last name correctly) - they're not really a series, but they're titled like one in America

The Betsy-Tacy books

Powerless (main characters are in middle school, there's mention of crushes by the last book in the trilogy, I know some kids her age think that's gross!)

The Grand Plan to Fix Everything and its sequel, The Problem with Being Slightly Heroic

The WondLa books

Homer Price

Princess Academy (despite the silly title. This book does, as I recall, have a made-up pantheon, if that's a problem.)

Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree (may have misremembered title)

Kiki Strike

Lemonade War series

Dragon Milk series

Swindle series by Gordon Korman

The series starting with Journey to Topaz

The series by Sonia Levitan starting with Journey to America (both these two series take place during WWII, so some readers might find them a bit much)

The series starting with One Crazy Summer (you might want to wait a year or two)

Do they strictly *have* to be series? I could write a longer list. Bolded books, to my knowledge, are pretty acceptable to at least 95% of all parents-of-eight-year-olds. I think all of them are appropriate, but those are the super uncontroversial ones.

The Penderwicks

Kiki Strike

The Great Brain

The All-of-a-Kind Family

The Year of the Dog series

The Ramona books, of course

Above World

The Series of Unfortunate Events

The Amy and Laura books (gosh, I loved those as a kid - they don't get enough love!)

The various "shoes" books by Noel Streatfeild (yes, I spelled the last name correctly) - they're not really a series, but they're titled like one in America

The Betsy-Tacy books

Powerless (main characters are in middle school, there's mention of crushes by the last book in the trilogy, I know some kids her age think that's gross!)

The Grand Plan to Fix Everything and its sequel, The Problem with Being Slightly Heroic

Do they strictly *have* to be series? I could write a longer list.

Thank you!  We have some of the Series of Unfortunate events, but I remember being a bit shocked by the content when I read the first book many years ago.  Is it appropriate for an 8yo?  I've been holding her off.  I ordered a Betsy-Tacy book.  Yes, she does not like romance at all (and I'm loving that! My baby is growing up too quick!)   Some of the other books I've never heard of...off to look them up!  And no, it doesn't have to be series, I just prefer not repeat this loss of what to suggest too often!    I'm really struggling to keep up!   The Wizard of Oz series was nice....it lasted over a month, and all I had to do was go down a list for the next books.    All of a Kind Family was on our list already, and she didn't like Ramona.  We''ll give the others a look!

Is it appropriate for an 8yo?

I think so (I read them myself at about that age), however, it is possible we have different standards in this respect. The sad reality is that no two people can agree on all books :(

I've gone back and bolded the ones that really should be utterly uncontroversial :) Might just add a few more series in there while I do it.

Not all series books, but:

My daughter read The World around the corner recently (Maurice Gee) and enjoyed it - apparently the same author writes a series that is more intense - I haven't looked at it yet though.

Edgar Eager's Magic Series (begins with half magic) - it is very mild, but fun.

The Hundred and One Dalmations and its sequel

Superfudge Series and other Judy Blume books - some of them do seem to be aimed older, but by 8 many should be just fine.

Dick King Smith books - though not a series they are all entertaining

Enid Blyton writes many series - Famous Five, The Children of Cherry Tree Farm and sequels, Malory Towers, St Clare's series, The Naughtiest Girl in the School series 

Nancy Drew series (could try the Hardy Boys too depending how girly she is or isn't)

Any of the Noel Streatfeild books

The Animal Ark series

Roald Dahl books (not a series although Charlie and Chocolate Factory does have a sequel, but many others should be fine)

Spirit Fighter series is the Biblical version of Percy Jackson.  My son really liked them and enjoyed all the clever connections the author made.  You mentioned holding off on Harry for religious reasons and I thought of this one.  My son began reading Percy around age 8.  There is nothing objectionable in the first set "Percy Jackson and the Olympians."  NOT Heroes of Olympus.  The only objectionable thing is that the premise is that the Greek gods are not mythology but enacting all the stuff actually right here on earth.  It is so extravagant I doubt it would be considered believable or realistic to an 8 year old.  In fact one of the reasons the book is so delightful is how extravagant the premise is.  However, the idea might bother you depending on your beliefs.

N.D. Wilson did the Ashtown Burials which is along the Percy Jackson lines as well.  Kids on fantastic quests to save the world.  All sorts of wonderful bits about the Age of Exploration and various history references which make it fun.

Spirit Fighter series is the Biblical version of Percy Jackson.  My son really liked them and enjoyed all the clever connections the author made.  You mentioned holding off on Harry for religious reasons and I thought of this one.  My son began reading Percy around age 8.  There is nothing objectionable in the first set "Percy Jackson and the Olympians."  NOT Heroes of Olympus.  The only objectionable thing is that the premise is that the Greek gods are not mythology but enacting all the stuff actually right here on earth.  It is so extravagant I doubt it would be considered believable or realistic to an 8 year old.  In fact one of the reasons the book is so delightful is how extravagant the premise is.  However, the idea might bother you depending on your beliefs.

N.D. Wilson did the Ashtown Burials which is along the Percy Jackson lines as well.  Kids on fantastic quests to save the world.  All sorts of wonderful bits about the Age of Exploration and various history references which make it fun.

Thank you!  keep the ideas coming!  I've filled up the library cart for this week, but I'll return to check for more very soon!  I know my 13yo enjoyed Percy Jackson...I never thought of asking her if it was appropriate for her sister!  (Their reading level is quite similar.) And...my 8yo has been totally into mythology lately!  I think she'd love it!   And the Age of Exploration is coming up in our studies very soon...so Ashtown Burials might tie in quite nicely. :)