Menu

Metronome recommendation?

My sons take piano lessons, and the teacher recommended a metronome.  She suggested using a free app, but our technology is so out-of-date that nothing we have is compatible.  We're leaning toward getting a stand-alone metronome.  Dh and I have no music background.  I did a quick search online and found digital and traditional ones.  I have *no clue* what to look for.  Recommendations??

I've seen iphone 4's used selling for $50.  Makes more sense to buy something like that and have some function than a $20 digital metronome.  They might still sell digital metronomes.  I had one when I was in high school.  It's just the app works really well and leaves you with a device that does other things.

This will do what you're wanting.  

Amazon.com: Korg MA1BL Visual Beat Counting Metronome - Blue: Musical Instruments

Sorry about previous post - on my tablet and hit post accidentally.

I've had this one for years and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Wittner-MT50-Quartz-Metronome/dp/B0002E2YMG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1414289590&sr=8-4&keywords=wittner+metronome

Whatever you do, don't get one that beeps. It interferes with pitch and is really grating on the ears. You want one that clicks.

I would not get the app style metronomes for a couple of reasons, which may not matter since you said you're not into tech that can install one anyway. 

1. my kids would be tempted to play around with the phone. always.

2. the battery life is always dead at the wrong moment

3. they are no where near loud enough

Features I would look for: 
1. choice of metronome sound: other posters click vs pitched sounds. My kids get rewarded with funny sounds or the counting lady sounds on mine. 

2. Ability to emphasize certain beats: to have it click differently on downbeats ONE two three ONE two three... 

3. tap to set feature: tap a speed and the metronome will continue at that tempo

Bonus: for techy music nerds, check out http://www.weirdmetronome.com/

Until you get one, you can always use an online metronome on the computer. That's what I make my kids do when they aren't allowed to use the phone.

As for phones not being loud enough... well, we plug ours into a speaker. But all violamama's other points are completely valid and they are reasons I don't use my phone for my kids either.

(That said it has a fine tuner on it, with a loud metronome, for when mommy practices. :) )

Thank you all!  You brought up many features/thoughts that had not occurred to me.  I knew I was coming to the right place with this question! :)

I found a couple of free online metronome apps, but there's not a computer in our piano room.  We may still move on in there until the one I ordered comes in.  (Recital is less than a week away, so the kids need to work out a few timing kinks quickly.)  I found a digital one that will emphasize the downbeat and has a click similar to a traditional metronome.  I appreciate all your input!  It helped a great deal.