Menu

Stretching First Form to two week lessons help

bluedarling

I started my dd13 and dd8 (gifted) on First Form Latin a couple weeks ago, and I think some changes are needed.  dd13 is getting through it, but she cannot maintain a pace of a chapter a week (she has poor memorization skills).  Dd8 is totally overwhelmed by the amount of work in the workbook, but is a fast memorizer.  I'm thinking I can make this work if I stretch out a lesson over two weeks.  That will give dd13 longer to memorize, and dd8 less writing at a time.  Can anyone suggest a schedule for this?  Anyone done that before?

We do 2 weeks per lesson.  We are on lesson 3 and it is going well.  I don't do more than one worksheet page a day. 

Day 1: Watch DVD and look through chapter.

Day 2: Drill flash cards and worksheet 1.

Day 3: Drill flash cards and worksheet 2.

Day 4: he drills cards on own ( our band day, not much time)

Day 5: Drill flash cards and worksheet 3.

Day 6: Drill flash cards and worksheet 4

Day 7: Drill flash cards and worksheet 5

Day 8: DVD oral drill and flash cards.  quiz if he thinks he's ready.

Day 9: Quiz

I have him review ALL the conjugations and vocab every time we do flash cars, so it takes time.  I didn't want him rushing through it  I'd rather not finish until July than rush it and have it bomb.  He did most of LC1 in school last year, so that was helpful, but there is still a lot of new material.  I think 8 is a bit young.  My 8 year old will start Prima in January.

There is a lot of work in the Forms series!

You can easily "mix it up" because of the vocab review (back couple pages in the student workbook), the "oral drill" (in the student text for each lesson - either on the lesson page or in the back), flashcards, CD for vocab & grammar forms, practicing the declensions/conjugations with the different vocab words (separate notebook or fill-in-the-blank worksheets you can make yourself), and all the worksheets.

PP gave a good framework for reference. Perhaps switch out the flashcards on some days with some of the other options and there is always the option of doing some work on the whiteboard (if you have one). If you have the Teacher's Manual, it is a great idea to actually teach the lesson the day after watching the DVD. The guy on the DVD is great, but he goes through the lesson SO QUICKLY. He doesn't cover everything in the lesson, either. Sometimes there are sentences in the back (diagramming) that you'll need to go over.

There is PLENTY of stuff to do to stretch each lesson over two weeks.

We do 2 weeks per lesson.  We are on lesson 3 and it is going well.  I don't do more than one worksheet page a day. 

Day 1: Watch DVD and look through chapter.

Day 2: Drill flash cards and worksheet 1.

Day 3: Drill flash cards and worksheet 2.

Day 4: he drills cards on own ( our band day, not much time)

Day 5: Drill flash cards and worksheet 3.

Day 6: Drill flash cards and worksheet 4

Day 7: Drill flash cards and worksheet 5

Day 8: DVD oral drill and flash cards.  quiz if he thinks he's ready.

Day 9: Quiz

I have him review ALL the conjugations and vocab every time we do flash cars, so it takes time.  I didn't want him rushing through it  I'd rather not finish until July than rush it and have it bomb.  He did most of LC1 in school last year, so that was helpful, but there is still a lot of new material.  I think 8 is a bit young.  My 8 year old will start Prima in January.

Thank you!   That looks perfect!   Tue/Thur are our orchestra days, and short on time....so that looks perfect!  And every other Friday off if they stay caught up is incentive, too!  I don't see the grammar questions in your schedule...guessing you didn't find them necessary?

Thank you!   That looks perfect!   Tue/Thur are our orchestra days, and short on time....so that looks perfect!  And every other Friday off if they stay caught up is incentive, too!  I don't see the grammar questions in your schedule...guessing you didn't find them necessary?

I'm not really using the teacher's manual much.  We go through the DVD together.  I usually have the manual open while we watch the DVD and read through the lesson.  He's getting a lot of grammar from Shurley this year and so far it has meshed well.  I hope I'm not missing something.  I'm still wading in the shallow end here.  My goal with every curriculum is to teach him to be independent eventually.  I don't know if we'll get there with FF, but I see it being possible with the Classical Composition DVDs we've started.

Also, I like having the buffer of it taking about 9 school days.  If we didn't get to it on the first Friday everything gets bumped back a day.  He usually only does math, French, and Latin on Friday.  Occasionally we may play catch up with 1 or 2 things on a Sat. afternoon.  This 2 week schedule definitely doesn't feel rushed at all.  I like the pace.  It seems like we both have time for the content to be absorbed.

I don't see the grammar questions in your schedule...guessing you didn't find them necessary?

They frequently show up on quizzes & tests, so it is good to go over them. Best time to go over them is before you do the first worksheet -- because they are frequently the answers to questions on that page, and right before the quizzes/tests. If the kids look at you like you have two heads when you quiz them the second time, best to add them in at least once in the middle of the lesson, too.

I don't schedule things out. We just kind of go along. Last year I tried to be on a weekly schedule and we never got done. If I feel like they're getting it, then we move ahead. If the boys are struggling, we'll just slow down and review. I found a website (https://sites.google.com/site/ewlatin/Home/first-form-latin-page) that has a good amount of sentences to translate, so sometimes I'll just take a few days and work on translations.

I also haven't been afraid to do more work orally and on the white board because there is A LOT of writing in the MP Latin programs. ...You have a big age range in your house. Perhaps give the 8 year old 1/2 the written work of the 13 year old or work 1/2 the translations together on the white board?

Agreed.  My 8yo already has a deal that if she's done 1/2 an exercise, I will be happy to do the writing for the other half.   If the exercise is very writing intensive, she takes me up on this, and I don't mind because it helps me learn the info, too.  I will look into moving to the whiteboard instead, but I kinda like doing the writing in the book (easier on me).  But honestly, with this learner, for most exercises I could probably halve the number of items, and she'd be fine.  Maybe I should make her do 1/4 of the writing, and I do 1/4 of the writing for a total of half!!  I'll see how it goes with our 2 week schedule, and if needed I'll reduce the writing further.  Thanks for the suggestions!

They frequently show up on quizzes & tests, so it is good to go over them. Best time to go over them is before you do the first worksheet -- because they are frequently the answers to questions on that page, and right before the quizzes/tests. If the kids look at you like you have two heads when you quiz them the second time, best to add them in at least once in the middle of the lesson, too.

He's not had any trouble with the grammar on the quizzes yet, so I guess we're covering it ok:)