Menu

Calling Doctor Hive (TMI, girl stuff)

Slache

For the past 6 six months or so I've had what I thought was a yeast infection, but the doc says no. Here are the gory details:

Increased vaginal fluid, usually very watery, sometimes watered down cottage cheesy

Slight itch

Chapped lips

Pain during intercourse

Abdominal pain

Occasional spotting (this is not normal for me)

It comes and goes, is not related to my cycle and gets about 90% better with yeast infection meds taken orally or topically. Their is no change in smell. It's not a yeast infection or an STD. I am not pregnant.

Thanks in advance and/or sorry.

A friend of mine had similar symptoms. At first she thought yeast infection but there was no yeast. Then her doc though BV but treatment for that didn't do anything. It took months to figure out she has interstitial cystitis. She found changing her diet to low-fat vegetarian helped keep her symptoms under control. She did have a history of UTIs.

:grouphug:   I hope you're able to figure out what it is so you can get on to feeling better soon!

No. We use the getoutquickbeforewemakeanotherone method. You do have me wondering if it's him though. Sweat, saliva, soap. I'll blame him until further notice.

What one eats can affect the chemical content of sweat and saliva, so it might have an easy solution.

I once had symptoms like that after I'd used a yeast infection cream. Instead of a doctor I just tried a home remedy (below).  I've never had a yeast infection since.  But I did have similar symptoms one other time, when DH left on a business trip and ate tons of the foods I'm allergic to all week. Does he eat something you're allergic to?  Or use soap or lotion or lube that's irritating to you?

The home remedy that worked for me...  get a new bottle of hydrogen peroxide from the drugstore (the weak kind used for scrapes and mouthwash, not the stronger kind), saturate a tampon with the peroxide (it's much easier with the sort with a plastic applicator, pour directly into the applicator).  Put a big towel under your bottom & insert it when you're lying down in bed and have a half hour to be still.  If the issue is pH &/or low grade yeast, it will bubble like crazy and restore the correct acid balance so the infection should resolve itself.  If there's no bubbling (and it's a new bottle of peroxide that you just broke the seal), that's not the problem.

If there's no bubbling then I'd try and rule out an allergy by first taking some antihistamine (benadryl) and seeing if that helps.

If still nothing, I'd first go to the gyno and demand another round of tests, including STD's, and immune stuff (HIV, autoimmune, etc).

If there's no bubbling then I'd try and rule out an allergy by first taking some antihistamine (benadryl) and seeing if that helps.

If still nothing, I'd first go to the gyno and demand another round of tests, including STD's, and immune stuff (HIV, autoimmune, etc).

The reference to antihistimines made me think of something else. Antihistimines like Benedryl, decongestants and other drugs (anticholinergics) dry out your nose and throat, but they also dry out other areas too. This can disrupt the balance and either make an environment for infection or just make you feel like you have one as your body reacts.

I once had symptoms like that after I'd used a yeast infection cream. Instead of a doctor I just tried a home remedy (below).  I've never had a yeast infection since.  But I did have similar symptoms one other time, when DH left on a business trip and ate tons of the foods I'm allergic to all week. Does he eat something you're allergic to?  Or use soap or lotion or lube that's irritating to you?

The home remedy that worked for me...  get a new bottle of hydrogen peroxide from the drugstore (the weak kind used for scrapes and mouthwash, not the stronger kind), saturate a tampon with the peroxide (it's much easier with the sort with a plastic applicator, pour directly into the applicator).  Put a big towel under your bottom & insert it when you're lying down in bed and have a half hour to be still.  If the issue is pH &/or low grade yeast, it will bubble like crazy and restore the correct acid balance so the infection should resolve itself.  If there's no bubbling (and it's a new bottle of peroxide that you just broke the seal), that's not the problem.

This sounds pleasant. :)