Menu

Girl talk topic, possible TMI...but I need help!!!! --- UPDATE

ILiveInFlipFlops

I don't know what's going on with my cycle. I don't think I can even call it a cycle, because it's just not stopping. I'm bleeding SO heavily, it's insanity. I was two weeks late for my August period, and then when it started, it kept stuttering on and off for 3-4 weeks, then it was like someone turned on a faucet. I went to my GP, who said she thought it was just a missed period and consequent malfunction. I took a week of a hormone called Provera, which finally turned off the tap and was supposed to trigger a normal period about a week later. Instead, the tap has just turned back on full force. 

So obviously there needs to be some more investigation here, but the most immediate problem is that I have to spend a day out of the house next Friday, and I have no idea how I'm supposed to make that happen. It's not an optional thing--it's related to a death in the family, and I have to be there, and there will be a several-hour-period where we'll be in a car and/or in a cemetery. As it is right now, I need to visit a bathroom around once an hour. 

Here are my questions. From what I'm reading, this can be cause by estrogen dominance heading into perimenopause, which, based on other factors, I believe to be what is happening here (though of course I'm still going to have the full workup, ultrasound, etc. ASAP). Has anyone tried using a progesterone cream to help this "flooding period" thing? If you have, how quickly did it have an effect? If that's not appropriate/realistic, what else can I do here? How on earth am I going to make it through this day?! I won't be able to talk to my dr. until at least Monday (probably later in the week), and even if she gives me another week of Provera, I don't know that it will take effect in time. 

Any thoughts are welcome. I was already dreading this coming Friday with every fiber of my being. Now it's just going to be...I don't even know what. I really don't know how I'm going to make it work  :crying:

--------------

UPDATE:

I had my ultrasound today (fun on SO MANY levels!). A few hours later I got a message from my doctor's office. I was stunned that they had results and were calling me so quickly, and I was convinced it was something horrible. The very nice girl instead informed that everything was normal on my ultrasound, and my dr. wanted to know how my bleeding was doing  :confused1: I've been convinced based on the bleeding and a few other things that I must have fibroids the size of cantaloupes, or some kind of terrible cancer, but to have the US show nothing is really weird.

I took the BC pills as she instructed, and the bleeding stopped in two days. We made it through last Friday with no major issues, thank goodness. Then I slowly tapered down as instructed, and by the time I was down to one pill a day, I was bleeding again--not heavily, but definitely breaking through.  

I'm definitely anemic (ferritin level of 10, with a normal range being 15-150), and my vitamin D level is slightly low. My TSH was in the low-normal range, but I will ask for a complete panel when I see her again next week. My fasting blood sugar was also high, and I'm not very happy about that, but that's a whole other series of posts *sigh*

Anyway, I just thought I'd update in case anyone was wondering. You were all so helpful and reassuring.

Woah. I have no idea what's going on but you need to see a doctor ASAP. I'd probably look into Depends or something (with a huge tampon). But I would assume there will be a bathroom somewhat near the cemetery and the driver of the car will have to stop if you say it's an emergency. 

I know, it's crazy. I've never have a problem with my periods, always regular, no major cramps or pain, and almost no cramps at all in the last year or so. Then I missed that one after a very, very stressful summer, and bam...here I am. I don't know what to think, and I'll definitely be chasing down some answers. But in the short term, I'm between a rock and a hard place :(

As for stopping, we'll be traveling in a kind of caravan, and there are no real stores that would have bathrooms (that I could use, anyway) nearby. There's a bathroom at the cemetery, but it's at the entrance, and we'll be at the top of a giant hill--for at least an hour, knowing this family. 

The whole thing is just such a mess (ha  :glare: ).

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'm not aware of this being a symptom of perimenopause to this extent.  I would definitely call up my OB/Gyn for an appointment.

When I've had heavy heavy flow, what I did was use a Super OB tampon with a nighttime sanitary pad.  You could also place that in disposable panties designed for incontinence as Janie Grace mentioned.  Wherever you are going, will have to have bathrooms some of the time. Normal people can't always go a day without going to the restroom.   Bring extra supplies, and extra undies in your purse.

This happened to me over the last year.  I found out that the tiny fibroid I had a year ago more than doubled in size, and is strategically located to cause "flooding" periods. So bad that I was (and am) soaking a super in less than half and hour.  My dr. recommended a vaginal hysterectomy, but now she supports a less invasive option I researched called a hysteroscopic myomectomy, where they shave off the fibroid.  Then I'll go for a Mirena IUD to further control bleeding.

And wipes. Take baby wipes.

And no getting out of it, eh? Are you flooding when you stand up? If you are losing as much blood as it sounds like, I'd suggest going to an ER or something. Or at least calling the on call doctor. And - I know it's a family funeral and all that - but, frankly, I would call in sick if it's as bad as it sounds like. 

OP, I have no idea what might work for you. Because of the tap being stuck in the "on" position I've had to start wearing Depends-like underwear along with the thickest pad while at work. And pack multiple changes of underwear. And stuff my uniform pants with thick pads and wipes (thank goodness for cargo pants with big pockets!). At night I take a good 3 minutes to get out to the unit because I first have to rapidly clean myself, change underwear (which has been strategically stationed by my bunk with pads already attached), pull on my uniform pants, tuck in my shirt, slip on my boots, grab my radio, and scoot out to the truck. Sheesh.

I saw my OB/GYN and nothing unusual or wrong was found. Beyond frustrating. I feel for you. My only advice is use a big purse and pack plenty of pads, underwear (preferably Poise or Depends), and wipes. And hope for the best.

Also, a change of clothes might not be a bad idea. I keep 2 complete uniforms with me.

Thanks everyone. There's no getting out of Friday. I mentioned not being able to go to the cemetery alone to DH, and he didn't look very happy :( It's going to be a bad day--not a funeral, but a memorial (mass, family gathering, cemetery trip, lots of time in the car--I'm getting anxious just thinking about it). 

The good news is that it turned out my dr. has Saturday hours, so I'm going in to see her in a little while. I'm hopeful that she can give me another week of Provera just to get me past this Friday, and then we can jump into finding the real cause. I've never been diagnosed with fibroids, but I also know they can grow rapidly, so maybe that's what's going on? I'm a little stunned at the idea and am not looking forward to dealing with this *sigh*

OP, I have no idea what might work for you. Because of the tap being stuck in the "on" position I've had to start wearing Depends-like underwear along with the thickest pad while at work. And pack multiple changes of underwear. And stuff my uniform pants with thick pads and wipes (thank goodness for cargo pants with big pockets!). At night I take a good 3 minutes to get out to the unit because I first have to rapidly clean myself, change underwear (which has been strategically stationed by my bunk with pads already attached), pull on my uniform pants, tuck in my shirt, slip on my boots, grab my radio, and scoot out to the truck. Sheesh.

I saw my OB/GYN and nothing unusual or wrong was found. Beyond frustrating. I feel for you. My only advice is use a big purse and pack plenty of pads, underwear (preferably Poise or Depends), and wipes. And hope for the best.

Also, a change of clothes might not be a bad idea. I keep 2 complete uniforms with me.

Oh brehon, that sounds horrible!!! I can't even imagine. Can't they put you on a hormone treatment or BCP to stop it? You can't live that way! 

My doc has me take provera and to increase the dosage daily up to a certain amount if the flow doesn't decrease. Also, she has me take up to 4 motrin twice a day to cut down the flow. So, my advice is to call the doc and ask if you can start taking the provera again, at least until the trip is over. You might consider staying on it until your estrogen levels start dropping as you get closer to menopause. It's very effective at lowering estrogen levels, but only as long as you take it.

You might also get your iron levels checked, because anemia seems to make the flow heavier. I take ferralet, which has a stool softener and does not upset my stomach.

I have PCOS and things get wonky if I'm not on the pill. It usually leads to heavy, heavy flow which is not particularly conducive to my job. My doctor has told me that on those days I need to reduce the flow at work to take an NSAID like Ibuprophen every six hours. I've found it to be pretty effective short term. I don't take it for more than 24 hours, but it has worked for me.

Just got back. She prescribed BC pills taken in a particular way (extra pills at first, no placebo, etc.). That will stop (or significantly slow) the bleeding in a few day, and in the meantime she's running bloodwork and I'll have an ultrasound. Thank goodness. I'm not looking forward to what's probably ahead of me, but at least the Friday problem is solved. Frankly, I wouldn't have a major problem telling DH i had to stay home Friday, but that would mean the kids would have to go without me, and because of the kind of day it will be, I really don't want them to have to do that. I'm grateful that I won't have to worry about it. The US will happen the week afterward, and then we should be hot on the trail of some answers. Whew.

Thank you again, everyone. I'll remember the exercise/shower/CLO/ibuprofen tricks as well. I'm sure they'll come in handy at some point in the future! And I'll be sure to update if/when I have an answer :D

Bleeding so heavily was my only obvious cue to my doctor that I was hypothyroid. I could barely leave the house because no products could keep up with it, but I was way too young for menopause and don't use implanted or or hormonal/chemical birth control.

Once we got my levels addressed my periods went back to normal. And in hindsight I had other symptoms of hypothyroid, but nothing that wouldn't also look like normal, tired and dieting mommy syndrome, either. Do bring it up as a possibility if your doctor does not - it is a simple blood draw to rule it out, and very easy to treat. For what it is worth my tsh alone didn't reveal my hypo. They had to look at a more complete thyroid panel to see my issues.

Thanks, thyroid issues do run in my family, so I've been wondering about that. I'll see what the basic panel and the ultrasound turn up and take it from there. I definitely have some of the symptoms of hypothyroid, but like you said, they're also "exhausted mom" things too. 

And FWIW, the ibuprofen REALLY seems to be helping. It could be a coincidence, but after the first six-hour dose ran out yesterday, the bleeding came back big time. I've been taking it every six hours since then, just to be able to function around the house, and today has been much better than the last two days have been. In case anyone reads this thread looking for answers for themselves!

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the official update. I had my ultrasound today (fun on SO MANY levels!). A few hours later I got a message from my doctor's office. I was stunned that they had results and were calling me so quickly, and I was convinced it was something horrible. The very nice girl instead informed that everything was normal on my ultrasound, and my dr. wanted to know how my bleeding was doing  :confused1: I've been convinced based on the bleeding and a few other things that I must have fibroids the size of cantaloupes, or some kind of terrible cancer, but to have the US show nothing is really weird.

I took the BC pills as she instructed, and the bleeding stopped in two days. We made it through last Friday with no major issues, thank goodness. Then I slowly tapered down as instructed, and by the time I was down to one pill a day, I was bleeding again--not heavily, but definitely breaking through.  

I'm definitely anemic (ferritin level of 10, with a normal range being 15-150), and my vitamin D level is slightly low. My TSH was in the low-normal range, but I will ask for a complete panel when I see her again next week. My fasting blood sugar was also high, and I'm not very happy about that, but that's a whole other series of posts *sigh*

Anyway, I just thought I'd update in case anyone was wondering. You were all so helpful and reassuring.