Menu

Where can I find German-streaming tv for children with subtitles?

eloquacious

I order DVDs from Amazon.de.  I find the shipping directly to the US to be fairly reasonable under the circumstances.  Most DVDs sold in Europe are Region 2, so you would need a multi-region DVD player.  I was able to get one for about $60.  European TVs also use a different broadcast format from US TVs, but this isn't an issue if you have a digital TV.  Digital TVs can play both formats.

I also recommend online streaming.  German state television is very generous with sharing its content.  Der Sendung Mit Der Maus is just fantastic.  Really well done educational segments and cute cartoons.

I hadn't thought of online streaming from the broadcasters themselves. I will try that. Today we searched YouTube.com and found Die Oktonauten, (the Octonauts) which the boys had enjoyed watching while we were visiting my grandparents. Without German subtitles, though, it seems too difficult to pick up much of anything. My older son could learn quite a bit if he could read along, I think. I used to do that with French and Spanish movies and found it super helpful.