Menu

Ticket to Ride board game?

HollyDay

We bought this one first, and then the 1910 card expansion. My sister just bought this expansion and it requires you have a main set with the actual trains and train cards because this is only boards and tickets.

We've only played the Indian/Switzerland expansion a couple of times, but we like it. I still think the North America will be my favorite. 

I would like to know if they're significantly different. We have the North America game and LOVE it. But would another game just be a different map with different cities? Is it different enough to be worth a second game?

The different games are mostly just different maps.  Some have a few extra wrinkles, like tunnels and central train stations.  I think the biggest differences is that some of the maps are smaller than the US one, and perhaps play better with fewer people.

There are several. Some have more differences than others. 

US~very simple, straightforward play.

Europe~has tunnels (which could increase the cost of building by forcing you to need more cards of the same color) and train stations (in order to help players bridge line that's been taken by others). Names of cities are in their own language, not the English version. I like that but others maybe be frustrated over the geography. 

Marklin~Germany, but has riders for the train. The first person through gets special points for each stop through the route, so you want to be fast making routes but longer routes mean more money. 

Nordic Countries~2-3 player version, my favorite

Switzerland~2-3 player version, not my favorite

Asia~one side is similar to US and the other side is the 'legendary' East. Also has a co-play aspect you can chose to do (or not). Players split into partners and work a line together without speaking to each other about it. 

India~standard play like US (might have tunnels, I can't remember).

I think there's an Africa and something else now. I think the play is fairly standard for these maps. I can't remember. The ones listed are the ones we own. 

Also, the Alvin & Dexter expansion which can add a 'monsters destroy the train lines' to any of the games.

There are several. Some have more differences than others. 

US~very simple, straightforward play.

Europe~has tunnels (which could increase the cost of building by forcing you to need more cards of the same color) and train stations (in order to help players bridge line that's been taken by others). Names of cities are in their own language, not the English version. I like that but others maybe be frustrated over the geography. 

Marklin~Germany, but has riders for the train. The first person through gets special points for each stop through the route, so you want to be fast making routes but longer routes mean more money. 

Nordic Countries~2-3 player version, my favorite

Switzerland~2-3 player version, not my favorite

Asia~one side is similar to US and the other side is the 'legendary' East. Also has a co-play aspect you can chose to do (or not). Players split into partners and work a line together without speaking to each other about it. 

India~standard play like US (might have tunnels, I can't remember).

I think there's an Africa and something else now. I think the play is fairly standard for these maps. I can't remember. The ones listed are the ones we own. 

Also, the Alvin & Dexter expansion which can add a 'monsters destroy the train lines' to any of the games.

Great review there!  My favorite is Europe and my second favorite is US.  Either are a great buy.  

We own all of them...it's our favorite game!

My personal favorite board is Nordic Countries, but it's my favorite for a stupid reason. It's the prettiest board! I could just look at the artwork all day. You can practically see the fjords, it's so well done.

But you really can't go wrong with any of them. Great series, and I love how they manage to keep finding different ways to play. Now if they'd just do one that focuses on the trains in a single city, like London or Chicago, I'd be all set...

We bought this one first, and then the 1910 card expansion. My sister just bought this expansion and it requires you have a main set with the actual trains and train cards because this is only boards and tickets.

We've only played the Indian/Switzerland expansion a couple of times, but we like it. I still think the North America will be my favorite. 

Cool.  I had no idea there were expansions.  We have the first one you listed.  Awesome game! 

Although wowsers the game board is huge.

Nordic Countries is my favorite as well. We play a lot of 2-player though. It's a nice tight map. Competitive at 2 and tight at 3. 

For a family game, US is simplest if you have younger children. It feels too easy to me though. We started with Europe and I like the map on that one a lot. I spend downtime looking at the different cities and countries. It feels longer than US though. I also like the team play of Asia and the extra strategy of Marklin. 

We have Europe and like that fact too, that the city names are in their own language. This is a complete version with the board and all the pieces, and up to 5 can play.

I would love to try Asia, Africa, or Nordic Countries.