Menu

Cross post: CLE Algebra

What are the cons/negatives to this program? I know about it not including geometry and the fact that there are no more sunrise editions completed. What else should I know about this curriculum? Is it rigorous? Does it prepare for upper math courses? I feel like I read someone's big negative about it, but now I can't find it or remember what it was. We have tried 2 other algebra programs, but my ds (who completed through the 800 level) is asking to go back to CLE because it is written to the student and explained in less "mathy" terms. Any insight would be great before I buy yet another program!

I love CLE Algebra. My "mathy" gal is doing well with it. She is dyslexic and has working memory issues, so the spiral method works beautifully for her. 

It is quite rigorous. It starts off gently, reviewing pre-algebra concepts, but ramps up quickly.

If I had it to do over again I wouldn't use it, though, because we'll have no choice but to switch after this, and there is nothing else like it on the market (with the exception of, maybe, Saxon, which we hate and will not use). 

I'm hoping this helps DD's confidence, and we can maybe move into Jacob's Geometry (which I was told yesterday reviews algebra) or something else.

What do you think you'll use for algebra 2?

I just want him to be solid on these skills in order to do well on college entrance exams, etc.

Have you seen my logic board thread titled "what to use after CLE algebra"? I got some really great advice there. 

With DD's working memory issues, I am leaning towards doing an integrated year (or two years) of geometry and algebra 2 (taking our time). I'm leaning towards Jacob's Geometry and... I'm not sure what for Algebra 2. She does enjoy math, so I may give AOPS a go - maybe the discovery approach will aid her in remembering these things :)